13.0 MP Desync loop Vanilla

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
Krizs
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

13.0 MP Desync loop Vanilla

Post by Krizs »

Hello guys.

Me and my friends are also getting desync loops, but we are not running any mods whatsoever.

We tried resuming several maps of different sizes (36Mb, 106Mb, 7Mb), size doesn't seem to matter in the desync loop problem. As soon as my friend joins the map he desyncs and the download process starts again. We also tried another friend hosting the map for us, same issue. We also tried loading in different autosaves (10 min interval) for the same map, seeing as maybe the map state got glitched from the upgrade and became inconsistent, that didn't help either.

This was with direct connect (hidden game). We thought hosting publicly might solve the problem, unfortunately it did not.

Attaching a desync log. If you need more than 1 we'll get the others and send them in too.

In the log we found this is the possible problem: 202.524 Info MultiplayerManager.cpp:1856: maptick(35653489) crc before applying all ticks: -468167753

Thanks in advance for looking into this.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: 13.0 MP Desync loop Vanilla

Post by Loewchen »

Please upload the desync-report, see my signature on how to get it.

Skami
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Skami »

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Skami wrote:Dupicate post?

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=27143
Possibly, but handling both in one gets messy real fast, especially if it turns out they are not caused by the same bug.

Krizs
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Krizs »

Here are 2 desync reports with different maps, the cause seems to be the same crc issue as I copied out in the original post, only the CRC number is different, which makes sense given that the maps are different in the 2 saves.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i9pdckvla0oi9 ... 8.zip?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ukgfypx8zyji3 ... 7.zip?dl=0

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Are you able to reproduce the desync if you start up 2 games locally and connect them to each other?
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Krizs
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Krizs »

How would I go about that? I downloaded the factorio game from the official website, since I couldn't launch the steam version twice. Turns out I can't launch the stand-alone product twice either, as I'm getting the following error message:
Could not move file "factorio-current.log". Another instance of Factorio is probably already running.

I tried messing around with the standalone product's config file path and made a copy of the config directory, didn't solve the problem though.

Another question, should I upgrade to 13.1? Right now I'm still in the 13.0 steam branch, not the experimental one, so I didn't automatically update.

Krizs
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Krizs »

Problem still exists in 13.2 as well, we tried multiple maps, regarding the desync issue that was fixed in 13.2 with the closely placed signals we tried maps that had no signals, still desyncs. We also tried it so different people hosted the same map, and different people were the clients, in all configurations it lead to the same result, instant desync loop upon joining.

I spent 4 hours messing around trying to make 2 instances of Factorio run without any visible result, also found forum posts that explained that my problem is because the User Directory is the same for both installations so the second instance tried to shuffle the current-log into previous-log, but since the first is keep it open it cannot access it, but no answer was written in that forum post either.

I'd really be disappointed if our 160hr coop map became unloadable under 13.0 and newer. :(

MasterBuilder
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MasterBuilder »

Krizs wrote:Problem still exists in 13.2 as well, we tried multiple maps, regarding the desync issue that was fixed in 13.2 with the closely placed signals we tried maps that had no signals, still desyncs. We also tried it so different people hosted the same map, and different people were the clients, in all configurations it lead to the same result, instant desync loop upon joining.

I spent 4 hours messing around trying to make 2 instances of Factorio run without any visible result, also found forum posts that explained that my problem is because the User Directory is the same for both installations so the second instance tried to shuffle the current-log into previous-log, but since the first is keep it open it cannot access it, but no answer was written in that forum post either.

I'd really be disappointed if our 160hr coop map became unloadable under 13.0 and newer. :(
1: Don't use the installer version of Factorio, use the zip version. Or change the config-path.cfg to something relative.
Zip uses this by default: config-path=__PATH__executable__/../../config
Whatever you do just make sure the path refers to a different location for each instance.

2: Make a copy of the entire Factorio folder. In the end you want something like this:
Copy1\bin\x64\factorio.exe
Copy2\bin\x64\factorio.exe
(SO both instances have different root folders & log files.)

Then you can run both simultaneously.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Krizs
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Krizs »

MasterBuilder wrote: 1: Don't use the installer version of Factorio, use the zip version. Or change the config-path.cfg to something relative.
Zip uses this by default: config-path=__PATH__executable__/../../config
Whatever you do just make sure the path refers to a different location for each instance.

2: Make a copy of the entire Factorio folder. In the end you want something like this:
Copy1\bin\x64\factorio.exe
Copy2\bin\x64\factorio.exe
(SO both instances have different root folders & log files.)

Then you can run both simultaneously.
Thanks for the reply, I managed to set up the 2 instances now. I hosted the map on the first as a LAN game and joined with the second. The desync loop was instant, just as when trying it with other people.
The desync report just in case: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qavs9ciei2p2z ... 9.zip?dl=0
One little bit strange thing is that the desync report wasn't actually zipped, so I zipped it using winrar before uploading it.

Hopefully this is enough information for the devs to fix it, if you guys need anything else I'm more than happy to help with whatever testing or information needed to solve this bug

Edit: I tested 2 other desyncs found on the forum locally, they don't produce instant desync for me when loading the games up locally and connecting them.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=27609 - First tested reported desync (didn't specify that it was instant though)
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=27143 - Second tested reported desync, which was suggested as a duplicate of my post, worked just fine for me as well, unlike my own game that I connected up locally

Devs please try loading up my save as well because from this testing it seems like mine might produce the instant desync for you too, or give hints as to where the problem lies.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Can you upload the original save and not just the desync reports?

Every save I test works perfectly when I run them on my machine.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

I fixed a desync issue related to building entities which appears to have fixed the desyncs with your saves.

If you can reproduce the desyncs in 0.13.3 please make a new bug report with the save file and the desync reports + the steps you took to reproduce the desync from fresh server startup to desync happening.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”