[0.8.8] Biter AI freezes up

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
Raptoer
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.8.8] Biter AI freezes up

Post by Raptoer »

I believe there is some top limit on how many biters it attempts to run the AI on because are quite a few which are frozen. Once they acquire a target they run after it, but before that they just sit there getting shot.

I would attach my save, but it's 4.1MB or so.
For reference I'm playing on a world that has all the highest settings for enemies

I know this is an uninformed and naive view, but perhaps you can organize them by sector and then put the sectors into a priority queue by how close the player is.
But then there would never be any attacks except near the player.

It's a difficult problem because you can't calculate all of them yet you can't let the player see these biters which are doing nothing...

BuilderChimp
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [0.8.8] Biter AI freezes up

Post by BuilderChimp »

I can confirm seeing this in two games - dozens of biters standing still by their spawners. At first I thought it was because they were trapped in by the worms, spawners and eachother so I was expecting them to 'explode' out when I cleared the worms. But they don't - they just trickle out in small groups as you inflict damage on them. I've also noticed that if you happen upon a group that is setting up a camp they tend not to aggro just sit there (laying their eggs? :P) taking shotgun rounds to the face.

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

Just wanted to add that I see this problem in 0.9.8 too.

Large groups of biters just freezing, doing nothing, then after a while (maybe other biters die? I'm not sure) they unfreeze and start attacking.

muzzy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by muzzy »

Player position/movement seems to play a huge role in determining when the biters unfreeze. Often the biters are only frozen if you stand where you are, sometimes if you stay on the left side of biter it'll remain frozen and the moment your X position goes to right side of the biter it wakes up again.

Teurlinx
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Teurlinx »

muzzy wrote:Player position/movement seems to play a huge role in determining when the biters unfreeze. Often the biters are only frozen if you stand where you are, sometimes if you stay on the left side of biter it'll remain frozen and the moment your X position goes to right side of the biter it wakes up again.
Just saying that I've seen the exact same behaviour. When go back for the stuck biters and kill them fresh biters at some point will become 'unstuck' again.

Currently it's a bit of an issue as when biters get stuck assaults on base defenses also will go down dramatically.

generalmek
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by generalmek »

confirm. not interesting without enemy. bitters nothing do

cube
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by cube »

So this is SOLVED for 0.10.0!!