Sprites missing or corrupted

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
FlowwolF
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Sprites missing or corrupted

Post by FlowwolF »

I'm getting these texture issues on 0.12.8

I have an i7 3770, r9 270x with 4gb, and 16gb memory running on windows 10.

Is there any reason why i seem to be the only person getting these sort of texture problems? I've downloaded and reinstalled the game a few times now. Tried all sorts of graphic settings. It exists across all qualities and memory usage settings.

FlowwolF
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Sprites missing or corrupted

Post by FlowwolF »

0.000 2015-09-27 17:23:36; Factorio 0.12.8 (Build 16825, win64)
0.000 Operating system: Windows 10
0.000 Program arguments: "C:\Program Files\Factorio\bin\x64\Factorio.exe"
0.000 Read data path: C:/Program Files/Factorio/data
0.000 Write data path: C:/Users/Monster/AppData/Roaming/Factorio
0.000 Binaries path: C:/Program Files/Factorio/bin
0.073 Initialised Direct3D:[1] AMD Radeon R9 200 Series; driver: aticfx64.dll 8.17.10.1404
0.074 [0]: \\.\DISPLAY1 - AMD Radeon R9 200 Series {0x8000001, [1920,0], 1920x1080, 32bit, 60Hz}
0.074 [1]: \\.\DISPLAY2 - AMD Radeon R9 200 Series {0x8000005, [0,0], 1920x1080, 32bit, 60Hz}
0.110 Desktop composition is active.
0.110 Graphics options: [FullScreen: true] [VSync: false] [UIScale: 100%] [MultiSampling: OFF] [Graphics quality: low] [Video memory usage: low] [Screen: 1]
0.149 Loading mod core 0.0.0 (data.lua)
0.151 Loading mod base 0.12.8 (data.lua)
0.644 Initial atlas bitmap size is 4096
0.645 Created atlas bitmap 4096x143
24.428 Info Updater.cpp:720: Downloading https://www.factorio.com/updater/get-av ... iVersion=2
25.238 0 packages available to download (experimental updates disabled).
25.274 Factorio initialised
80.251 Loading map
80.251 Info Scenario.cpp:160: Map version 0.12.8-0
5798.761 Goodbye

FlowwolF
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by FlowwolF »

I was looking in the config file and saw "force-opengl=false" so i went ahead and forced that *explicitive* to use opengl. Things are working now.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

It seems to plague AMD gpu's recently - also latest AMD beta drivers seem a bit sketchy - I lost picture on DirectX completely with those.

TuckJohn
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TuckJohn »

I dont know if this will fix it, but try running the .exe as an administrator, and in compatibility mode for older version of windows. (right click the exe and go to "properties", then "compatibility mode")
~1200+ hours clocked in factorio. Avid KSP and Factorio player

Packmeister
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Packmeister »

Today I updated my GPU drivers and now I have the same problem. Feck, should have gone with Nvidia.

Djeph
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Djeph »

I do reinstall the last version of my video driver and it's OK.

Got an AMD HD7770 graphics card on windows 10 system.

Think it's probably coming from the OS more than from the graphic card or the game.

Watchman
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Watchman »

I had the same problem after a crash, forcing OpenGL fixed it for me. Thanks :)

SirRichie
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by SirRichie »

Same for me. The issue appeared just like that.
I was playing yesterday and everything is fine. Playing today and I have missing or corrupted sprites. I did not even restart the game inbetween.

Forcing opengl helps. Restarting and/or cleanly re-installing the game does not help.

Maybe this should be copied to the bug reports?

Harp3r Boy
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Harp3r Boy »

Same issue with me, however setting "force-opengl=true" in the config fixed it for me.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

ALyingCommunist wrote:I have these same issues and forcing opengl doesn't seem to fix it. I have played it on this computer before, just not with windows 10 and not for a few months.
Did you try all the things from here ?
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=7&t=9300

What is your hardware config, can you post the log?

ALyingCommunist
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ALyingCommunist »

I did try all of the things on that post. I am not very computer savvy, so I am not exactly sure how or where to find my hardware config.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

You can find the log file directly in the Application directory in the wiki entry linked by kovarex (https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... _directory).
With the Windows installer version of Factorio just enter %appdata%\Factorio in any explorer window or the run dialog (Win+R). You should find two files, factorio-current.log and factorio-previous.log, please attach both to your next post.

Please also post your CPU, GPU (graphics card), RAM and VRAM info if you know them, otherwise the computer model number could also help.
What OS did you have installed before (Win 7/8/8.1 probably) and what version of Factorio did you use (0.11 or 0.12)?
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

Astregor
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Astregor »

I recently updated to 0.12.16 and let it patch update. When I got in game, I started experiencing this same problem. I did my research and changed the config.ini settings, updated my AMD R9 drivers, tried multiple compatibility settings, have Run As Admin checked, and everything else I could find to get the sprites back. I got about half of them. I tried uninstalling, deleting all instances of the game from roaming and prog files, and installing an older version that was working. Nothing clears up the problem. The game is unplayable now. I hope it gets fixed soon.

Win10
AMD R9 255

Bonzai
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Bonzai »

Astregor wrote:I recently updated to 0.12.16 and let it patch update. When I got in game, I started experiencing this same problem. I did my research and changed the config.ini settings, updated my AMD R9 drivers, tried multiple compatibility settings, have Run As Admin checked, and everything else I could find to get the sprites back. I got about half of them. I tried uninstalling, deleting all instances of the game from roaming and prog files, and installing an older version that was working. Nothing clears up the problem. The game is unplayable now. I hope it gets fixed soon.

Win10
AMD R9 255
I had the same problem after updating to 12.16.
A clean install of 12.15 solved it for me.

Astregor
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Astregor »

Thanks Bonzai, that fixed mine as well.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Just to be sure, are you using the force-opengl option? Can you post the log?

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

That is really weird you observe this error also with OpenGL.
We were playing with 3D application configuration in AMD Catalyst Control Center until it started to happen on our computer too (but, only with DirectX - force-opengl=false, though). It also kept behaving like this after driver setting were reset to factory default. So, we were finally able to debug it and we didn't find any obvious reason, why sprites should be corrupted, but we found workaround, that should prevent this. So it should be fixed in 0.12.17 (at least for DirectX).

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

posila wrote:That is really weird you observe this error also with OpenGL.
We were playing with 3D application configuration in AMD Catalyst Control Center until it started to happen on our computer too (but, only with DirectX - force-opengl=false, though). It also kept behaving like this after driver setting were reset to factory default. So, we were finally able to debug it and we didn't find any obvious reason, why sprites should be corrupted, but we found workaround, that should prevent this. So it should be fixed in 0.12.17 (at least for DirectX).
Out of curiosity - can you write what was actually happening that corrupted the sprites?

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

orzelek wrote:Out of curiosity - can you write what was actually happening that corrupted the sprites?
Factorio creates huge sprite atlas (preferably containing all the sprites in game). That way it can batch all drawing to just few draw calls (ideally). Because Factorio is highly moddable, sprites are distributed as separate files and sprite atlas is generated on startup.

Soo .. we create a texture for sprite atlas, then for each sprite we load a sprite to its own texture and render it to the sprite atlas. This is GPU accelerated, so sprite atlas is in VRAM, we load a sprite to RAM, upload it to VRAM and render it. In practice, this is handled by ALLEGRO_BITMAP, which will create one IDirect3DTexture9 using D3DPOOL_SYSTEMMEM and the second one using D3DPOOL_DEFAULT. It fills the system memory with pixels from PNG, and calls IDirect3DDevice9::UpdateTexture to update VRAM texture by its system memory copy. And for some reason, the UpdateTexture sometimes didn't work, and VRAM texture stayed filled with random garbage it started with.

Workaround was to use single texture using D3DPOOL_MANAGED, which automatically keeps RAM and VRAM copy of textures.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”