[0.12.4][Oxyd] Wonky Expansion Candidate Chunks

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
Vin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[0.12.4][Oxyd] Wonky Expansion Candidate Chunks

Post by Vin »

First, I'd like to mention I'm playing with RSO 1.0.3, which modifies how biters spawn. I've never seen the behavior before, but it could be an issue with the old version and updated Factorio. Also, this is possibly not a bug and intended behavior.

That said, the debug option "show_enemy_expansion_candidate_chunks" doesn't seem to be updating when a biter nest is killed. The green circles properly avoid the nest, but when the nest is killed, the circles it was generating remain. Placing down any player structure will remove them, but unlike circles by still living bases, they do not reappear when the structure is reclaimed.

I'm not sure if the debug option is giving me incorrect information, the biters' expansion mechanics have been changed, or something else entirely. Some clarity on the matter would be appreciated.

GopherAtl
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [0.12.4] Wonky Expansion Candidate Chunks

Post by GopherAtl »

I noticed this yesterday with my latest push against the biter bases in my current game; this seems to be new, either in 0.12.3 or 0.12.4, I know it's happening in 4 and wasn't in 2. Didn't think to report it, because reasons.

:edit: after reviewing my saves, I'm not so sure about it not having been there in 0.12.2; in those cases I was building a wall as I went, and wasn't pushing the enemy as far back; building the wall may have cleared it and I just didn't notice.
My Mods:
Nixie Tubes - numeric displays for your circuit networks!
Logistic Combinators - use logistics values in circuit logic! -
Autowire - automate red/green wire connections

PiggyWhiskey
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by PiggyWhiskey »

GopherAtl wrote:I noticed this yesterday with my latest push against the biter bases in my current game; this seems to be new, either in 0.12.3 or 0.12.4, I know it's happening in 4 and wasn't in 2. Didn't think to report it, because reasons.

:edit: after reviewing my saves, I'm not so sure about it not having been there in 0.12.2; in those cases I was building a wall as I went, and wasn't pushing the enemy as far back; building the wall may have cleared it and I just didn't notice.

Is that with or without RSO?
That could narrow down bug finding to one or the other.

Vin wrote:First, I'd like to mention I'm playing with RSO 1.0.3, which modifies how biters spawn. I've never seen the behavior before, but it could be an issue with the old version and updated Factorio. Also, this is possibly not a bug and intended behavior.

That said, the debug option "show_enemy_expansion_candidate_chunks" doesn't seem to be updating when a biter nest is killed. The green circles properly avoid the nest, but when the nest is killed, the circles it was generating remain. Placing down any player structure will remove them, but unlike circles by still living bases, they do not reappear when the structure is reclaimed.

I'm not sure if the debug option is giving me incorrect information, the biters' expansion mechanics have been changed, or something else entirely. Some clarity on the matter would be appreciated.
Mine aren't staying gone when reclaiming structures (in particularly turrets) although I may have re-claimed them before dealing the final blow to the spawners.
Edit: quick check, they are staying gone when I reclaim items. The few blank squares on my mini-map must be from turrets picked up after all the spawners have been destroyed.
My post: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 9&p=101706

GopherAtl
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by GopherAtl »

I am playing with RSO, didn't occur to me that it might be causing it - I rather doubt it, based on what In know of the api, but it's worth testing.

:edit: here was the screenshot from when it happened to me Linky- the empty pockets are where bases where, and where I'd been placing turrets to fall back to. I rode back and forth through the chunks south of that and they did not clear. Are we certain this isn't intended behavior? I'm less sure than I was originally that this was not always the behavior.
My Mods:
Nixie Tubes - numeric displays for your circuit networks!
Logistic Combinators - use logistics values in circuit logic! -
Autowire - automate red/green wire connections

Vin
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Vin »

If biters can expand based on bases that no longer exist, then perhaps everything is working as intended.

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Re: [0.12.4][Oxyd] Wonky Expansion Candidate Chunks

Post by Oxyd »

This was caused by the fix of this bug: The game didn't honour max_expansion_distance when a base was destroyed, and thus it didn't update candidate chunks far enough. This was indeed introduced in 0.12.4.

Fixed in 0.12.5.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”