[0.11.22] after Alt-Tabbing back in, the inventory has problems

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
aeromech84
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.11.22] after Alt-Tabbing back in, the inventory has problems

Post by aeromech84 »

Win 7 64
Vanilla Factorio (no mods)
using Steam overlay

I don't really check the forums often so I'm sorry if this has been addressed. It might even be a feature that I'm unaware of.

I like to Alt-Tab quite often while I play (I hit Esc first to pause). I return to the game and make it fullscreen and all looks normal in my inventory, but as soon as I click any item, it disappears. For instance, I Alt-tab out with 50 solar panels in the hot bar. I return to the game and it still shows 50 solar panels. But as soon as I click them, they disappear, showing zero in stock. I can click every item in my inventory and it will empty everything. Loading a save game fixes it.

The last time it happened I think I had the solar panels in my hand when I alt-tabbed out and when I came back I never clicked any new inventory item, I just returned to placing the panels on the ground. It placed the panels but they were transparent and had the purple health bars under them.

It's happened to me 3 or 4 times, tiny factories and big ones too.

I shift-tab often as well for the Steam chat but I have never noticed it after I do this. Only alt-tabbing out of the window.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [0.11.22] after Alt-Tabbing back in, the inventory has problems

Post by Koub »

Can't reproduce your problem ... Could you please add a screenshot of your Options > Controls setting menu ?
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

aeromech84
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by aeromech84 »

Here are my control settings.
game tab
game tab
settings1.jpg (607.16 KiB) Viewed 2391 times
inventory tab
inventory tab
settings2.jpg (571.04 KiB) Viewed 2391 times
It seems that it only happens when I am away from the game for quite some time, maybe 15 to 30 minutes. I can't reproduce the problem either while sitting here trying to force it.

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

Seems to me like some SHIFT shenanigan. SHIFT (by default) + build will build an entity as a ghost. Which corresponds to what you are saying (transparent with purple progress bar). SHIFT click in the inventory will "teleport" the items to either opened entity or hotbar / main inventory. This also seems to correspond with what you say (clicking stuff in the hotbar teleports it to the main inventory even though it is closed). So somehow it could be that after ALT tab the allegro key reading mechanism is confused and thinks that SHIFT is enabled.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

slpwnd wrote:Seems to me like some SHIFT shenanigan. SHIFT (by default) + build will build an entity as a ghost. Which corresponds to what you are saying (transparent with purple progress bar). SHIFT click in the inventory will "teleport" the items to either opened entity or hotbar / main inventory. This also seems to correspond with what you say (clicking stuff in the hotbar teleports it to the main inventory even though it is closed). So somehow it could be that after ALT tab the allegro key reading mechanism is confused and thinks that SHIFT is enabled.
Yes, this is what was most probably happening.

The game is cleaning all the key presses when the player switch out, but doesn't clean it when he switches back in, so it might be (theoretically) related.

I changed, so it might solve the problem, let me know if it still happens in 0.12.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

It might be related - game will always "notice" when you press alt+tab by reacting to alt key. So basically each alt+tab out toggles the info overlay.
I'm not sure if it's fixable in any way but it might be same symptom.

aeromech84
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by aeromech84 »

kovarex wrote:
slpwnd wrote:Seems to me like some SHIFT shenanigan. SHIFT (by default) + build will build an entity as a ghost. Which corresponds to what you are saying (transparent with purple progress bar). SHIFT click in the inventory will "teleport" the items to either opened entity or hotbar / main inventory. This also seems to correspond with what you say (clicking stuff in the hotbar teleports it to the main inventory even though it is closed). So somehow it could be that after ALT tab the allegro key reading mechanism is confused and thinks that SHIFT is enabled.
Yes, this is what was most probably happening.

The game is cleaning all the key presses when the player switch out, but doesn't clean it when he switches back in, so it might be (theoretically) related.

I changed, so it might solve the problem, let me know if it still happens in 0.12.
It happened again today in 0.12. I'm using the Steam overlay and I saw it after I used shift-tab for a quick chat with a buddy.

You guys are absolutely right about the SHIFT key. The game thinks that my shift key is pressed when I return. I left clicked a power pole and it deleted only the cables. I didn't realize that my items were being moved rather than deleted in my original post. I didn't use Alt-tab this time either, so that might be an error in my original post as well.

I still can't reproduce the problem on purpose.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”