[SOLVED] [1.1.104] Game crashing before entering the main menu

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
6980157mhi
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[SOLVED] [1.1.104] Game crashing before entering the main menu

Post by 6980157mhi »

Hello there!
I've had two distict problems with two different logs associated to them, but let's go step by step.

At first, I was playing factorio normally. Then, all of a sudden, the game simply closes itself without any errors.
As I try to reopen it, I notice that steam reopens as well, which made me think that it was steam crashing instead of Factorio for some reason.

The first time I try to reopen the game, it crashes giving me an error that was telling me to report this bug here. The log will be attached under inside factorio-previous.log

So, I come here and I check if other people might have had the same problem.
I see that one person seems to have a very similar one and I try to make the first step that was described there: Restarting steam.

After this, I reopen the game and it crashes again at a different percentage (I think it was ~40% 1st time and ~50% the second).
This time, it tells me that the game failed to load a texture.
The log will be attached under factorio-current.log

To avoid me making more damage than good, I'm going to ask help here before doing anything else.
Thanks in advance!
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(8.11 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
factorio-previous.log
(16.29 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
Last edited by 6980157mhi on Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.1.104] Game crashing before entering the main menu

Post by Bilka »

Restart your computer. Your page file is nearly full which Windows interprets as running out of memory.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

6980157mhi
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by 6980157mhi »

Looks like this solved the problem.
But I ask what is the page file and how do I avoid it getting full in the future?
It's the first time this happens

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

6980157mhi wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:18 pm
But I ask what is the page file and how do I avoid it getting full in the future?
It's a way the operating system expands RAM by using a file on your drive. So, most likely you had programs open that use a lot of RAM (memory). Or something went wrong with the OS and it didn't free up the memory after it stopped getting used. Restarting the PC is an easy way to solve this, since it forces you to close all programs.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”