[1.1.72] MacOS - display freezes after minimize/restore

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
7spoons
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[1.1.72] MacOS - display freezes after minimize/restore

Post by 7spoons »

Steps:
1. Launch the app in windowed mode
2. At the main game menu - click on the window minimize button in top left corner (-)
note the window minimizes to the dock
3. Click on the icon in dock to restore the window back.

Result: game menu no longer responds to mouseover; background animation freezes. Game responds to mouse clicks as normal (i.e. can quit, close window, etc) but no visual feedback - display is frozen at the last scene before minimize.

Happens with and without mods; before or after loading a save; 1.1.70 works fine.

Mac Studio 2022 + studio display; Monterrey 12.6

log attached

Thank you!
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(4.18 KiB) Downloaded 56 times

7spoons
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [1.1.72] MacOS - display freezes after minimize/restore

Post by 7spoons »

Update:

If fullscreen + minimize on focus lost is enabled in graphics settings, option-tabbing out and then clicking on dock icon to restore works fine. I can only repro in windowed mode. In windowed mode, however, it happens 100% of the time.

Note that when minimized from full-screen, dock shows generic factorio gear icon and when minimized from windowed mode, dock shows scaled window snapshot (with game menu or whatever was in the windows at the time).

DurtEetr
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by DurtEetr »

I've had this happen as well while in-game. The UI will become unresponsive and it's impossible to quit without going to Apple>Force Quit.

7spoons
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by 7spoons »

Update - I found a workaround:

1. Launch factorio app in windowed mode
2. When the app is at the game menu, click on minimize button (-) in top left corner, note the app window minimized to the dock.
3. Click on the factorio app icon in the dock to restore. Note that after the window comes back, menu no longer responds to mouse-over events and the background animation is frozen.
4. Click on the maximize button in top left corner (<>). Note that after the window becomes maximized, the menu is responsive again, animation is back, etc.
5. Optional - click on the "restore" button (><) in top left corner to switch back back to windowed mode. Note that the display remains functional - menu, animation, everything is back to normal.

These steps also work from within a save - ESC to game menu, minimize/restore = frozen; maximize/restore = back to normal.

hth

StrangePan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by StrangePan »

Thanks for your report! This should be resolved in 1.1.75.

As a workaround, Factorio's graphics are frozen after restoring from the macOS Dock, simply resize the window by dragging one of the edges of the window with your cursor. In my testing, I found this to be the fastest way to get the game working again.

pug38ish
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by pug38ish »

I'm glad I found this, the same thing started happening to me a while back and it was driving me nuts! Looking forward to the fix :D

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”