[0.10.8] - freeze when trying to remove a provider chest

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
Phantomix
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.10.8] - freeze when trying to remove a provider chest

Post by Phantomix »

In my current savegame, I'm not able to remove a specific provider chest. When trying, the game freezes and uses one CPU core (13% CPU load on my system)
This happened with the stable 9.8, occurs also on 10.8 and is reproducable (just walk to the chest, about at the center of this base and right click it)

http://www.phantomix.de/_autosave2.jpg
http://www.phantomix.de/_autosave2.zip

Edit: OS is Win7-64 and the game is also 64 bit.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: 9.8/10.8 - freeze when trying to remove a provider chest

Post by FishSandwich »

I think it is because the chest is full with copper wire(48 stacks of 256) and you have space in your inventory for only 24 stacks. So the game freezes momentarily(for me, it was something like 15 seconds) while it is putting the other 24 stacks on the ground. If you stop the inserter putting more copper wires into the chest, and move the copper wires from that chest first until it is empty (or until it can fit into your inventory) then you can safely pick up the provider chest.

Phantomix
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Phantomix »

Ouch - Sorry :D

Bug Solved / works, after I manually cleared the chest. Maybe there should be an "upper limit" for spreading items into the world? Maybe like *BEEP* chest is too full for removal *BEEP*
Edit: Or something like *BEEP* You've just lost 2345 Items, sorry! ( = Items above the "upper limit")

Blackence
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blackence »

Yes, please. I hate when that spilling on the floor happens. It's no fun having to clean that mess up.

Of course, I'd prefer to see my 50000 rocket defenses decorating the floor in my base over having them removed completely if my inventory is full when picking up a chest.

Phantomix
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Phantomix »

I actually think this is a funny feature (but didn't happen to me often) but the problem starts when the game locks up for many seconds...

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Well this might have very simple solution. when you try to mine the chest (or other entity), it will first try to move all the items into the character inventory. If it fails, it doesn't let him to mine it. It would prevent the annoying chest bombs completely.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

This was annoyance for too long.

So for 0.10.9 I changed this beahvior, this is the changelog description:
changelog 0.10.9 wrote: Removed so called "item bomb" effect. It happend When the player tried to mine a chest that contained items that couldn't fit his inventory.
Instead of dropping all the items on the ground around (which could be A LOT of items in some cases), the mining just fails, while player gets as many items from the chest as possible.

SHiRKiT
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SHiRKiT »

kovarex wrote:Well this might have very simple solution. when you try to mine the chest (or other entity), it will first try to move all the items into the character inventory. If it fails, it doesn't let him to mine it. It would prevent the annoying chest bombs completely.
So, instead of doing that, you can take a look at this mod that solves exactly this bug of the game: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =14&t=5202

It makes items spill faster on the ground. Reduced the time needed by over 95%

Turtle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Turtle »

SHiRKiT wrote:
kovarex wrote:Well this might have very simple solution. when you try to mine the chest (or other entity), it will first try to move all the items into the character inventory. If it fails, it doesn't let him to mine it. It would prevent the annoying chest bombs completely.
So, instead of doing that, you can take a look at this mod that solves exactly this bug of the game: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =14&t=5202

It makes items spill faster on the ground. Reduced the time needed by over 95%
Here we have the devs offering a solution and you're asking them to leave in the problem, but just let it happen faster. I don't understand...

When this first happened to me, I thought, "Well hey, it's in alpha... I'm sure they'll get around to fixing this." I've gotten into the habit of emptying chests before removing them anyway, so it's not an issue for me, but I believe it'll greatly improve the gaming experience for new players and for those who haven't gotten used to emptying chests before removing them as I have.

Schmendrick
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Schmendrick »

I think the issue is whether you consider the "chestsplosion" to be a bug, or if you consider the game freeze to be the bug.

The freeze is actually pretty easy to address, as the mod demonstrates.
Like my mods? Check out another! Or see older, pre-0.12.0 mods.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Schmendrick wrote:I think the issue is whether you consider the "chestsplosion" to be a bug, or if you consider the game freeze to be the bug.

The freeze is actually pretty easy to address, as the mod demonstrates.
The chestexplosion was not a bug, but wanted behavior, but it was annoyance that we didn't know how to avoid, so I'm happy I have solution for it now.

The freeze was a kind of bug, because the method wasn't written effectivelly, it can be optimised easily.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”