opengl artifacts on water/sand transition

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
sthalik
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

opengl artifacts on water/sand transition

Post by sthalik »

I'm attaching screenshots and my save.
Attachments
bug-artifacts-save.zip
(3.56 MiB) Downloaded 74 times
opengl-artifacts.jpg
opengl-artifacts.jpg (523.65 KiB) Viewed 2437 times
d3d-no-artifacts.jpg
d3d-no-artifacts.jpg (947.83 KiB) Viewed 2437 times

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: opengl artifacts on water/sand transition

Post by Loewchen »

Post the log please.

sthalik
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by sthalik »

Note: I can ONLY reproduce it on HQ sprites + "all memory" setting. It works fine on any other setting. I have texture compression on the documented "auto" setting for the test's purpose.

Maybe some HQ sprites don't correspond to low-quality replacements? Here's the log.
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(16.64 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
Last edited by sthalik on Tue May 08, 2018 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

How much VRAM do you have?

sthalik
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by sthalik »

Two gigabytes VRAM. Is there a difference?

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

sthalik wrote:Two gigabytes VRAM. Is there a difference?
Well, your GL driver does not support detecting the amount of VRAM the card has so I assume it's on the driver itself to decide what to do if more is assigned than available. Generally your settings require 3GB VRAM and you need to overwrite the default settings to get this issue in the first place. NaB.

betrok
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by betrok »

Loewchen wrote:Well, your GL driver does not support detecting the amount of VRAM the card has so I assume it's on the driver itself to decide what to do if more is assigned than available. Generally your settings require 3GB VRAM and you need to overwrite the default settings to get this issue in the first place. NaB.
How can it affect render results? Lack of vram will slow down things, but should not lead to any artefacts.

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

betrok wrote:How can it affect render results? Lack of vram will slow down things, but should not lead to any artefacts.
"Will slow down things" ... that is wishful thinking. Some programs/games might even crash immediately.

Not related to Factorio... I had such an issue with Diablo 3 in 64 bit mode. Since last year Blizzard automatically uses the 64 bit version for the game. The game crashed randomly everytime when the amount of textures overloaded the VRAM after running a few bountries/rifts. Sometimes it just crashed back to the desktop, sometimes the screen just froze, sometimes I could kill the process manually, sometimes I even had to hard reboot the computer because it didn't even respond anymore at all. So the only thing I could do was to manually set it to load the legacy 32 bit executable. I didn't even know that it was the lack of VRAM until I recently upgraded from my older GTS 250 to a GTX 1050 TI because the game told me jack shit when it crashed. The former only hat 1280MB and the latter 4096MB and doesn't suffer any problems at all. Not even the Crash Logs said anything useful at all hence why Blizzard Support couldn't fix it.

But apart from that I agree... usually the lack of VRAM shouldn't result in the renderer using the wrong sprites in all kinds of weird rotations... and even if it did then it is still very unlikely that it ONLY affects the shoreline of lakes... then it would probably affect a lot more sprites outputting a disarray of madness on the entire screen. I expect that there IS a bug in the renderer somewhere or in that particular sprite sheet or maybe both (though the spritesheet seems more unlikely when it works in D3D).

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Thanks for the report.
It actually bug in terrain GLSL shader, but I didn't realize that until I saw in your log that you have 2 atlases with alpha masks. Fixed for next release.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”