[kovarex] [1.1.21] Character stuck after exiting train

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
azesmbog
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[kovarex] [1.1.21] Character stuck after exiting train

Post by azesmbog »

noticed a few more versions ago, and in 1.1.15 and 1.1.19 it was.
But I thought they would fix it. Here is trapped in version 1.1.21
The bottom line is as follows.
If you jump from a train moving at a speed "on the move" (press Enter), then with a certain, non-zero, probability the character gets inside the laser turret and "walled up" - he cannot move.
You have to remove the turret and restore it after the character leaves this place.
This is not so often, and not very annoying, but a dozen or two times I have definitely pulled myself out of the turret.

azesmbog
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [1.1.21] Character stuck after exiting train

Post by azesmbog »

Well, in some half an hour I fell into a trap for the second time :)
Made a save, booted from it. still inside the turret. But you know that my save is ~ 3GB. and hopefully not needed. Everything is very clear here. But you can leave it like that - I will not be upset :) I will count as the "features" of the game :)) As in Stalker - mosquito baldness.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [kovarex] [1.1.21] Character stuck after exiting train

Post by kovarex »

I can't reproduce it easily. There needs to be something special about the case. If you happen to create a small example where it is reproducible I can take a look.

azesmbog
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by azesmbog »

My second map, vanilla, but Death World
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

I hope I can reproduce it, I did it the first time
Saving Map DW1 - the beginning of the experiment.
We get on the train, accelerate as quickly as possible, and press Enter at full speed. My character got stuck the first time - saving DW2.
Sometimes it successfully jumps on the move, between turrets, but quite often and not very successfully. I can do it easily. already 2-3 times - for sure.
A prerequisite is to jump out of a moving train at a high enough speed :)

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Are you in multiplayer when producing the issue or can you produce it in single player as well?

azesmbog
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by azesmbog »

I only have a single player if that's important.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

I didn't want to believe that the speed of the train could have anything with it, it kind of sound slike the natural thing we would expect but doesn't make sense from the way the code is written.

So i was trying to reproduce it, and I was eventually able to reproduce it, but also only with high speed train and never with stationary, or very slowly moving train.

I proceeded to check the code and added some debug prints and it eventually turned out that the speed of the train actually did have something to do with the bug, in a tricky way.

There is a method, that is trying to find the place where to put the character, and it is checking bounding boxes relative to the vehicle, and when they pass, the position actually returned is the relative vector that was ok, but applied to the position of the player. Well, since player position can be one tick behind the vehicle position, the difference between the vehicle position and player position is getting larger with larger speeds, so the error of checking one and applying other is getting larger with the train speed.

TL;DR, fixed for the next version.

azesmbog
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by azesmbog »

Due to the specifics of my map, I have to travel very, very, very much on trains, and often I have to get off the train at full speed near another, or near a damaged section, and the train goes on either on schedule, or until it stops. So quite often I got stuck. Thanks for figuring out my problem :)

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”