[0.17.43] screen glitches with sprites as a flickering overlay

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
josepvv
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.17.43] screen glitches with sprites as a flickering overlay

Post by josepvv »

Hello! I have been playing on the 0.17.53 version and, whenever I do so, the game shows an overlay flickering with sprites. It mostly happens with the highest zoom out, but sometime it does with a close zoom. The flickering can last from 0.5 to about 10 seconds. Then, it might completely stop (10 min max) or just pause for a little bit (10, 30 seconds). It happens with and without mods (I installed some mods way after this glitch started).

There's nothing I can do to trigger it, as it appears randomly. However, it looks like without clicking or typing, it stays still (less flicker-y) when compared to when I click or type something. For example, taking screenshots was difficult, as it meant clicking a key and the overlay disappearing for half a second.

I just don't expect this to happen (I say this as an answer for the bug-reporting guide). Here are some pictures:

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.17.43] screen glitches with sprites as a flickering overlay

Post by Twinsen »

See also: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=70991&p=430894

Please make sure your drivers are up to date.
If they are up do date and it still occurs, please post the log file so we can see your system configuration. Also let us know if your hardware is somehow special (integrated + dedicated graphics, etc).

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Please post your log also BEFORE you try to update your drivers. If driver update fixes it I'd like to know which version causes this issue.
On Windows, press Win + R, type in %APPDATA%\Factorio and click OK. File Explorer should open and you should see file called factorio-current.log. If you use macOS or Linux, see paths where to find the logs: https://wiki.factorio.com/Application_d ... _directory

TheFourthVapor
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by TheFourthVapor »

Attaching a current log before updating Integrated Intel Graphics Drivers to troubleshoot.

Edit: Graphics Drivers were already on current version (it is old though, running on a potato)
This computer did run Factorio without this particular glitch in previous versions though.
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(12.62 KiB) Downloaded 93 times
Last edited by TheFourthVapor on Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Thanks for the log.

This is caused by bug in the graphics driver and Intel might not support 2nd gen Core iGPUs anymore, so you might not be able to get better driver; If that's the case, you can turn on in-game workaround, by editing config.ini. Open %APPDATA%\Factorio\config\config.ini in Notepad and add following line at the end of the file.

Code: Select all

buffer-rename-workaround=true

TheFourthVapor
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by TheFourthVapor »

Thanks for the workaround, noticed your reply after I edited my above post.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”