Intermittent client lock up on 0.17.28.

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
Hiladdar
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Intermittent client lock up on 0.17.28.

Post by Hiladdar »

This is regarding the intermittent bug issue that was introduced in 0.17.38. Attached are the files.

I am including Gimzo Car and Black Market, since I made local mods for both those mods to run under version .17.xx of Factorio. The original owners have not updated those mods for 0.17.xx yet. Since I am not the owner of those mods, I am now posting them on the mod portal. That is for the owner of the mods to do. I am including this here, since what I have on my system has to be replicated.

Hiladdar Gear is the current mod I am working on. It is near completion and I expect to post that up to the mod portal sometime this week. This is the most current version. It is not yet ready to be ported up to the mod portal. I am including this here so that the game can loaded.

Hiladdar Core is a just a bunch of local changes I make / use from time to time. The only thing it currently does is get rid of all cliffs upon a new game within the starting area, but then allows for cliff to be normally generated.

The other thing of note, is for the my Manufacturing mod, the settings for all the types of assemblers should be 50. For the Electrical mod, the accumulator and solar setting should be 4, the substation percentage setting should be 50, and improved base for small electric pole should be turned on.

The link for the actual game is on github, since I have an issue with my ISP uploading files greater then about 12mb. This game is around 190mb in size, so I had to bundle it as multi-part tar file using peazip https://github.com/Hiladdar/H4-Gear is the location.

Hiladdar
Attachments
Hiladdar_Gear_0.17.1.zip
(2.95 MiB) Downloaded 95 times
Hiladdar_Core_Tech_0.17.1.zip
(1.05 KiB) Downloaded 91 times
Gizmo_Car_keys_0.16.0.zip
(10.08 KiB) Downloaded 93 times
BlackMarket_1.2.1.zip
(1.48 MiB) Downloaded 92 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Intermittent client lock up on 0.17.28.

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report however you never said how to reproduce the lock up.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Can you check the script usage time (F4 -> Show time Usage) and see if any of the numbers also spike when your client 'locks up'.

Do you have the issue in the vanilla game?
I am likely to believe it is a mod script causing the trouble

Hiladdar
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hiladdar »

Again thanks for the prompt replay.

Some of the things I did to try and isolate the issue, is deactivate the Hiladdar_Gear mod I am testing to ascertain that that is not the issue. It still locked up.

The second step I took to attempt to isolate the issue was to take download the 0.17.37 executable files. I then started the game up in using the .38 client, and the client locked up. The next step was to extract the .37 files and continue the game up as a .37. Using the files from .37 the client did not lock up.

It could be a conflict between some of the mods, and the client. But the common denominator for me was the difference between using the .37 and .38 client. It could be that there was a long standing bug with either my mod, or one of the other mods, within that game that would not be revealed until it hit a particular condition within .38. It could also be an obscure combination of several different things that triggers the client lock up.

In answer to your final questions. What I did to trigger the bug, I start the game up and played it. In the 3 tests I did, I moved the avatar to just north of the main base, were I could get a good screen shot of the client lock up. Upon loading the game in the client, the clock in the upper left hand corner displayed 22:40. In all cases I would move the avatar just north of the base and wait for the client to lock up.

I did not have that issues with the vanilla game. I do test stuff what I write within the vanilla game. For the most part the only mod(s) loaded within the vanilla game are the ones I am working on. I do not have any vanilla game maps for 0.17.xx. I use that to make sure that what I write can be interpreted upon client load and that there are no glaring issues. If it passes this test, I then copy that mod to a one of several Factorio installs I have on my computer for further testing.

Per your request I set up script usage time to display, within the tests I ran. In all cases, the mods and the map, loaded into the client were the same. The only difference was the version of Factorio.

Within 0.17.37 there were no client lock ups.

Within 0.17.38 on the same map, I did 3 runs, and had client lock ups at 1:57, 2:17, and 2:02 on the clock display in the upper left corner. A picture is worth a thousand words, therefore attached are images of of the relevant part of the screen showing script usage times. I also did a screen print, on the second run while the game is running normally before a lock up. The only entry which appeared to have a significant change was within 0.17.38 was "Trains".

I did test using Factorio version 0.17.39 and still had the client lock up.

Hiladdar
Attachments
0.17.38 - Run 3 - Client lock up at 02:02 on the clock
0.17.38 - Run 3 - Client lock up at 02:02 on the clock
Run 3; lock up 02-02.png (719.58 KiB) Viewed 2628 times
0.17.38 - Run 2 - Client working prior to clock up
0.17.38 - Run 2 - Client working prior to clock up
Run 2; while working.png (745.88 KiB) Viewed 2628 times
0.17.38 - Run 2 - Client lock up at 02:18 on the clock
0.17.38 - Run 2 - Client lock up at 02:18 on the clock
Run 2; lock up 02-17.png (770.69 KiB) Viewed 2628 times
0.17.38 - Run 1 - Client lock up at 01:57 on the clock
0.17.38 - Run 1 - Client lock up at 01:57 on the clock
Run 1; lock up 01-57.png (763.14 KiB) Viewed 2628 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Ok, I was able to reproduce the issue and it's now fixed for the next version of 0.17.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Hiladdar
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Hiladdar »

I downloaded the updated client and tested the fix. Whatever magic you did fixed this issue.

Thank you,

Hiladdar

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”