[Twinsen][0.17.36] Lowering Frequency on the map generator leads to excessively small starting area ore patches

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
Xeanoa
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[Twinsen][0.17.36] Lowering Frequency on the map generator leads to excessively small starting area ore patches

Post by Xeanoa »

Title says most of it. When reducing Frequency of ore in the map generator, starting ore patches are proportionally reduced in Richness.
That leads to excessively small starting ore patches when reducing both Richness and Frequency, but increasing Size.
Attachments
Factorio5.png
Factorio5.png (669.82 KiB) Viewed 5264 times

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [Twinsen][0.17.36] Lowering Frequency on the map generator leads to excessively small starting area ore patches

Post by Twinsen »

This is intended behavior so there is precise control over the amount of ore in the starting area. If you want to play a hard map with scarce resources, the starting area would otherwise contain an unfairly large amount of resources.

The starting area is too small to add a new patch for every notch of the frequency slider. Also if a frequency of 100% is one ore patch, how many patches would you get at 50% frequency?

For this reason we decided to make the starting are size be influenced by frequency. The alternative would be that the frequency slider would do almost nothing for the ores in the starting area.

The size slider will increase the size, thus compensating this. So minimum frequency and maximum size will roughly give you the same amount of resources in the starting area as normal settings.

Your case seems a bit abnormal. Maybe mods are changing something?
I'll look into maybe tweaking the numbers a bit.

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [Twinsen][0.17.36] Lowering Frequency on the map generator leads to excessively small starting area ore patches

Post by Twinsen »

I changed it in Version: 0.17.44 so the frequency slider has about half influence to the starting area ore amount. (e.g. if you set it to 17% it's effect will be more like 58%).

Hopefully this will make everyone happy.

KrazyTygr
Inserter
Inserter

Post by KrazyTygr »

Twinsen wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 3:55 pm
I changed it in Version: 0.17.44 so the frequency slider has about half influence to the starting area ore amount. (e.g. if you set it to 17% it's effect will be more like 58%).
Thank you for finally listening :) (although I would still prefer that Frequency has no effect on Size (or Richness) in the starting area).

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”