[0.17.17] Rocket silo displaying incorrect/unhelpful status information

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
Rubydrageon
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.17.17] Rocket silo displaying incorrect/unhelpful status information

Post by Rubydrageon »

Hey,

Not sure if actually a bug, but I noticed the following:

When a rocket is ready to launch (all 100 rocket parts are created) and the silo is set to "auto-launch with cargo" and there are still science packs in the output, but there's no satellite in the input, the status of the rocket silo will say "Item production overload", which seems reasonable at first, because obviously there is an overload of output science packs in the silo, but actually if you have an inserter automatically inserting satellites into the rocket silo it will still do so, unlike with normal assembling machines, where inserters won't insert more ingredients when the machine says "Item production overload".

I guess this happens because the actual product of the silo is the rocket part, not the space science pack, and when all 100 rocket parts are produced, the output is "full". I still find it confusing for the user though, since you never really interact or think about the rocket part, only about the rocket (at least I).

So maybe a message saying "Satellite missing" or something similar would be more appropriate in that case, or the inserter inserting the satellites just shouldn't insert when the machine says production overload.

I hope my explanation is clear, if not I can try to explain further.

Ruby
Attachments
The inventory of the silo
The inventory of the silo
RocketSiloOverload2.PNG (60.47 KiB) Viewed 2639 times
The status reading of the silo
The status reading of the silo
RocketSiloStatus.PNG (61.33 KiB) Viewed 2639 times
Last edited by Rubydrageon on Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

tehfreek
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Rocket silo displaying incorrect/unhelpful status information [0.17.17]

Post by tehfreek »

Perhaps special-casing "Ready to Launch" would be the best choice here, since it isn't necessarily a problem to launch without a payload, and a satellite isn't the only possible payload.

lovely_santa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Rocket silo displaying incorrect/unhelpful status information [0.17.17]

Post by lovely_santa »

tehfreek wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:47 am
Perhaps special-casing "Ready to Launch" would be the best choice here, since it isn't necessarily a problem to launch without a payload, and a satellite isn't the only possible payload.
Since it is in auto launch mode it is waiting for an item in it's rocket inventory.

So a message "waiting on rocket cargo" would be more suited when it is in auto launch mode, and a message "ready to launch" or "idle" when in manual mode?
You can find all my mods on the mod portal. Also helping on Arch666Angel's mods.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.17.17] Rocket silo displaying incorrect/unhelpful status information

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report. The root problem is that the rocket silo is an assembling machine when it never should have been. As such, assembling machines where setup with the status logic and never setup to handle one being a rocket silo.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”