[0.16.43] Update failed, permission denied

Bugs that are actually features.
Dune
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[0.16.43] Update failed, permission denied

Post by Dune »

Subject: Not sure what to put in the brackets in the subject line, 16.43 the version being upgraded or 16.47 the version migrating to. It could also be the 16.44, since that is the zip where the following occurred.

In the update, I got an error message saying the Factorio.exe couldn't be written to. Now, there is no Factorio.exe in the bin\x64 directory.

Attached is the log file.
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(10.13 KiB) Downloaded 127 times

Zavian
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Failed to update to 16.47

Post by Zavian »

Possibly related to viewtopic.php?f=29&t=60553

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [16.43] Update failed, permission denied

Post by Loewchen »

The OS denied permission to open the file for writing, possibly because your anti virus is reading it. Try the update without your anti virus software activated and check your permissions of the directory.
If you try the update again, do you get a different message?

mexmer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by mexmer »

question to OP, do you use google sync or something else to synchronize your factorio folder?

because if you do, you need to turn off sync while doing updates. if you don't do that, sync might lock your files moment they start changing.

i had that issue before

other problem will be permission bug, that for reason i had not found yet, can pop in

see last post here
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=46089

as for google sync, this might happen too

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=53658
Last edited by mexmer on Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.16.43] Update failed, permission denied

Post by kovarex »

Lot of different things can interfere with the automatic updater, antivirus mainly.

Dune
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Dune »

Loewchen wrote:The OS denied permission to open the file for writing, possibly because your anti virus is reading it. Try the update without your anti virus software activated and check your permissions of the directory.
If you try the update again, do you get a different message?
I can't run the update again, the "factorio.exe" file is missing. I'll have to reinstall.

Dune
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Dune »

mexmer wrote:question to OP, do you use google sync or something else to synchronize your factorio folder?

because if you do, you need to turn off sync while doing updates. if you don't do that, sync might lock your files moment they start changing.

i had that issue before

other problem will be permission bug, that for reason i had not found yet, can pop in

see last post here
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=46089

as for google sync, this might happen too

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=53658
My factorio files aren't in any sync location.
Last edited by Dune on Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dune
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Dune »

kovarex wrote:Lot of different things can interfere with the automatic updater, antivirus mainly.
I have Malwarebytes, but that hasn't interfered before and I can't tell if it has now. Usually it pops up with some notice saying it has detected a problem, asking if I want to quarantine the offensive file. Nor has Windows Defender ever been a problem.

Dune
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Dune »

PS I'm leaving that directory untouched. I've downloaded 16.47 and installed it to its own folder and will continue on. If you have other ideas, I'm willing to test them.

Dune
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Dune »

Please make update's run with elevated admin levels. Again I cannot update, and my factorio exe got deleted again.

Fortunately I still had the 16.47 zip, and copied the factorio exe back to the bin/x64 directory and ran it as admin. The update worked fine as admin.

Elevated permissions don't help. I tried this once, and it still failed. It could be because after the download, factorio re-launches and may not have gotten the elevated permissions when it applies the update.
Last edited by Dune on Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

mexmer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by mexmer »

Dune wrote:Please make update's run with elevated admin levels. Again I cannot update, and my factorio exe got deleted again.

Fortunately I still had the 16.47 zip, and copied the factorio exe back to the bin/x64 directory and ran it as admin. The update worked fine as admin.
if updater can delete factorio.exe, then it has enough privileges.
problem lies somewhere else.

btw. i did update on my notebook, where factorio is installed from installer into program files folder, and factorio.exe did ask for elevation, after downloading update (updating from 0.16.25 to latest)
so yet again it seems problem lies in your computer, not game

anyway, check factorio folder, if it has proper privileges, in worst case, reset them to default.

Dune
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Dune »

This bug still continues with 16.49.

Each update, the update fails first. The factorio.exe is zapped.

I've found that copying the Factorio.exe from the temp folder to the bin / x64 folder, then re-running the update, it works the 2nd time with no changes to permissions needed and not running as admin.

mexmer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by mexmer »

Dune wrote:This bug still continues with 16.49.

I've found that copying the Factorio.exe from the temp folder to the bin / x64 folder, then re-running the update, it works the 2nd time with no changes to permissions needed and not running as admin.
use system monitor to check, what locks factorio.exe

if your factorio is installed in custom folder (let's say c:\games\factorio) and not program files folder, fix privileges of that folder (add read/write for users group recursively). if you do this, you don't need (and also should not), run factorio as administrator.

when factorio is installed in program files, it always requires administrator privileges, but it also ask for them, when running updater ... so there is no issue here.

Dune
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Dune »

mexmer wrote:
Dune wrote:This bug still continues with 16.49.

use system monitor to check, what locks factorio.exe

if your factorio is installed in custom folder (let's say c:\games\factorio) and not program files folder, fix privileges of that folder (add read/write for users group recursively). if you do this, you don't need (and also should not), run factorio as administrator.

when factorio is installed in program files, it always requires administrator privileges, but it also ask for them, when running updater ... so there is no issue here.
It isn't a permissions issue, because the 2nd run of the update works without problems. It is only the first run that (at least currently) always fails. I'm not the only one by the way.

60869 and now, 61000

Return to “Not a bug”