Friday Facts #217 - Just another Friday Facts

Regular reports on Factorio development.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 4698
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 8:54 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #217 - Just another Friday Facts

Post by Koub » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:52 am

Now that's good news !
I've been hoping that ressource rebalance, so that, as you say it in the FFF, every new patch found has good chances to prove itself useful.
Yay \o/ :)
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

QubeNub
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:03 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #217 - Just another Friday Facts

Post by QubeNub » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:04 pm

Making sure the starting area is not covered by trees.
Yay! :D

User avatar
Lav
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 384
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:12 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #217 - Just another Friday Facts

Post by Lav » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:11 pm

Nice.

Counter-suggestion: remove the resource "pecking order" entirely and just assign each resource patch a random weight. What patch swallows up other patch would depend on their relative weights and distance from the patch center tile. This will result in greater variability (iron won't always override copper or vice versa) and more natural borders between overlapping patches.

psihius
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 158
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:47 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #217 - Just another Friday Facts

Post by psihius » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:11 pm

Yay for resource spacing. Railword preset right now feels like it's nothing special - resources are way too close and playing with the resource settings does not help much :(

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1957
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:02 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #217 - Just another Friday Facts

Post by Jap2.0 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:16 pm

Wow, this is, like, 8 hours earlier than usual :P.
Anyway, that all sounds really cool - there was some recent discussion of trees in the starting area, so that'll be cool, as well as two-person vehicles. (and optimization, as always). I really appreciate how much you listen to the community. Also, I second all the posts above.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

MageKing17
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 52
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:52 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #217 - Just another Friday Facts

Post by MageKing17 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:31 pm

Passenger seat for vehicles
Fuck yes.

User avatar
Proxy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 162
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:10 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #217 - Just another Friday Facts

Post by Proxy » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:33 pm

"Expensive Recipe Mode" should just be "Expert Mode" and hopefully be more than just more expensive recipes... I mean look at Terraria's Expert Mode.
Let's just wait til the Age of Iron Stars

IronCartographer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 296
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:07 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #217 - Just another Friday Facts

Post by IronCartographer » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:59 pm

FFF wrote:Making sure the starting area is not covered by trees.
I've said it before and I'll say it again: If a scenario included crash landing and a debris field, the explosions and resulting fires would make a nice clear area in which to start building, while adding some initial excitement. ;-)

User avatar
Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff
Posts: 3619
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:09 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #217 - Just another Friday Facts

Post by Klonan » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:03 pm

IronCartographer wrote:
FFF wrote:Making sure the starting area is not covered by trees.
I've said it before and I'll say it again: If a scenario included crash landing and a debris field, the explosions and resulting fires would make a nice clear area in which to start building, while adding some initial excitement. ;-)
Hmm, let me try that out

chris13524
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter
Posts: 193
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:20 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #217 - Just another Friday Facts

Post by chris13524 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:17 pm

What are the controls like on the tank? Can the driver control the wheels while the passenger controls the cannon? That would be super cool!

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1575
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:37 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #217 - Just another Friday Facts

Post by bobucles » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:18 pm

Starting area not covered by trees
What ever happened to the idea that the player "crash landed" on the planet? A crash landing presents many opportunities to tweak the spawn in creative ways. For example the crash site represents a chance to blow open a clearing and the wreckage can be its own initial source of resources.

kane.nexus
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 10:54 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #217 - Just another Friday Facts

Post by kane.nexus » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:19 pm

What if you allowed all resources to spawn wherever the generator designates and create tiles of resources that are a mixed resource?

kane.nexus
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 10:54 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #217 - Just another Friday Facts

Post by kane.nexus » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:21 pm

Klonan wrote:
IronCartographer wrote:
FFF wrote:Making sure the starting area is not covered by trees.
I've said it before and I'll say it again: If a scenario included crash landing and a debris field, the explosions and resulting fires would make a nice clear area in which to start building, while adding some initial excitement. ;-)
Hmm, let me try that out
I think AAI Industries adds a crash landing start you might want to check out :D

quyxkh
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter
Posts: 710
Joined: Sun May 08, 2016 9:01 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #217 - Just another Friday Facts

Post by quyxkh » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:22 pm

- Added optional color field as a second parameter to the 3 print functions.
but aren't there four print functions? game, player, force, surface

pawel.dawidowski
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:57 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #217 - Just another Friday Facts

Post by pawel.dawidowski » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:22 pm

IronCartographer wrote:
FFF wrote:Making sure the starting area is not covered by trees.
I've said it before and I'll say it again: If a scenario included crash landing and a debris field, the explosions and resulting fires would make a nice clear area in which to start building, while adding some initial excitement. ;-)
Maybe a separate biome type for a starting area? Like burned region after crash? This could potentially solve small island spawn, and explain why bitters are not present at the start location.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter
Posts: 1575
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:37 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #217 - Just another Friday Facts

Post by bobucles » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:24 pm

Recipe rebalance
Caution advised! The cost of regular production is VERY different from the cost of a fully loaded Prod3 base. Copper consumption in particular gets a 5-fold stacking 1.4x bonus (wire, green circuit, red circuit, blue circuit, RC unit) while steel and iron are usually consumed without as much prod3 boost.

Demongornot
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:29 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #217 - Just another Friday Facts

Post by Demongornot » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:38 pm

Reworking how the starting area works so that it always contains a predictable amount of resources. This means that every new map is feasible.
Making sure the starting area is not covered by trees.

Image

POPISowyNumer
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 1:31 pm
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #217 - Just another Friday Facts

Post by POPISowyNumer » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:35 pm

Can I suggest a thing to do with trens?

It would be cool if one was able to tell trains to arrive at station A, get some data from local circuit network, then go to station B, disengage full cargo wagons, go to C, engage the empty ones, and go away.

Sente
Inserter
Inserter
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:37 am
Contact:

Re: Friday Facts #217 - Just another Friday Facts

Post by Sente » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:38 pm

kane.nexus wrote:What if you allowed all resources to spawn wherever the generator designates and create tiles of resources that are a mixed resource?
I whole-heartedly support an option for mixed resources! I find it extremely fun to have to sort resources correctly and route them.

Post Reply

Return to “News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users