[Rseding91] Personal roboport "20kW transmission" does nothing

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[Rseding91] Personal roboport "20kW transmission" does nothing

Post by BlakeMW »

The Personal roboport is listed as having a 20kW transmission energy usage (in raws this is "energy_consumption"). To the extent of my testing I've been unable to discover any actual associated usage

I started by testing some reasonable hypothesis on what the transmission might be:
1. A continuous drain for maintaining the logistic area (as is the case for the full size Roboport). I tried charging a roboport with a single portable solar panel, it successfully charged indicating that roboports do not have an idle drain.
2. A drain while robots are active. I charged a roboport with a solar panel until it showed a sliver of green in the electricity bar, then I removed the solar panel and attempted to deplete the electricity bar by keeping robots busy but not charging*. The sliver of green bar did not deplete.
3. A drain while robots are active but which is unable to drain the stored charge: I started with an empty roboport, added a single PSP, then kept robots busy (but not charging), the roboport successfully charged from the PSP even while robots were active.

Finally in case the effect was real but too subtle to appear, I tried editing the raws to increase transmission to 2MW then 200MW and repeated the above tests, working on the theory that it should be not subtle when increased 10000x. I did not observe any difference.

My conclusion then is that the 20kW transmission energy consumption simply does not work. Either it should work or should be removed so as to not mislead players about energy consumption (for example a reasonable player might think you need 2-3 portable solar panels to cover the transmission cost). I did this testing in 0.15 but in previous versions I regularly used modular armor setups that simply would not have worked if the 20kW transmission did anything logical - such as 5 panels to 4 roboports.

* For the curious, I did this by having the robots perform nearby repair jobs which involved a distance too short for them to bother recharging. Basically I stood next to a tank and shotgunned it a lot.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Personal roboport "20kW transmission" does nothing

Post by Koub »

If I understand this correctly, bots have around 1.4 MJ battery. they use it until depleted, and once they are short of energy for their next task, they come and recharge. I think it's at that moment that you transmit up to 20 kW.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BlakeMW »

Koub wrote:If I understand this correctly, bots have around 1.4 MJ battery. they use it until depleted, and once they are short of energy for their next task, they come and recharge. I think it's at that moment that you transmit up to 20 kW.
That is the charging_energy = "1000kW".

As I noted in the original post as a last resort I tried increasing the 20kW to 200MW (this was accurately reflected in the personal roboport mouseover) and noticed no difference in the roboport charging or discharging behaviour - 200MW ought to deplete the entire roboport battery (35MJ) in just 0.175s so it should be extremely noticeable and in particular, should dominate the charging_energy of 1000kW which at most will be drawing 2MW to charge two bots. Hence my conclusion that the energy_consumption is not having any effect.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

transmission actually does nothing except show in the GUI :P So, I'm going to remove it.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”