Biter Dissapearing

Bugs that are actually features.
Coffee Daemon
Inserter
Inserter

Biter Dissapearing

Post by Coffee Daemon »

So in my (admittedly well modded) playthrough I befriended a biter. He is currently in an area walled off with blue belt in a circle and radars around to keep aggro for him. He has been there for some time and just disappeared.

Do biters despawn after a time? Cause I saw him despawn infront of me. No corpse, and no reaction when I equip PLD.

I have a save just before he dissapears. Watching from map view and just vanishes.
EDIT: Reproduceable, always goes in the same corner too, may be coincidence due to belts.
Last edited by Coffee Daemon on Fri May 12, 2017 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Biter Dissapearing

Post by 5thHorseman »

This is the first time I've ever seen the lack of a bug to be considered a bug :D

Anyway, I suspect maybe they have a timeout despawn to make sure they don't get stuck somewhere in the world. Though I can't think of how that would happen.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

5thHorseman wrote:This is the first time I've ever seen the lack of a bug to be considered a bug :D

Anyway, I suspect maybe they have a timeout despawn to make sure they don't get stuck somewhere in the world. Though I can't think of how that would happen.
Yes, biters that can't path for extended periods of time are simply deleted so they don't waste CPU power.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Coffee Daemon
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Coffee Daemon »

Rseding91 wrote:
5thHorseman wrote:This is the first time I've ever seen the lack of a bug to be considered a bug :D

Yes, biters that can't path for extended periods of time are simply deleted so they don't waste CPU power.
What classes as pathing for this scenario then? Just wondering if I can get around it for a single biter.

Also, RIP Jeff. His houdini act was superb.

Caraise Link
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Caraise Link »

I would like to request that this be considered a bug, as it affects non-biter units as well. I had a couple hundred robotic attack drones (Bob's Warfare mod) disappear on me under similar circumstances, although they were mostly milling about open fields. Which actually is kinda weird, if it's an inability to path that makes them despawn, but.

I'm new to Factorio modding, though it looked like all entities the player makes are normally marked with a "player-creation" tag. Perhaps the despawn check could be ignored if it sees that tag on the unit?

MewMew
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by MewMew »

If someone knows a way how to prevent a certain biter from despawning, please let me know!
Because i would love if the "pet" biter script i made was working like it was intended ._.

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Oxyd »

You'd have to post the save. There's literally nothing I can do with a video.

Return to “Not a bug”