[0.15.6] [kovarex] Bug with rail signal

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
alego22
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.15.6] [kovarex] Bug with rail signal

Post by alego22 »

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [0.15.6] Bug with rail signal

Post by Loewchen »

Post the save please.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

I can confirm the behaviour, the blueprinted signals do not connect to the track. Looks like this one: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=45382

aaargha
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aaargha »

From the video it looks like they shouldn't connect to the rails, it's not indicated as a valid signal spot. So that they do not attach is to be expected?

What is strange is that the ones right below them do attach, or that the top location is not seen as valid.
Attachments
sig.PNG
sig.PNG (47.9 KiB) Viewed 5038 times

Usernm
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Usernm »

You can't attach signals in some spots manual, but can do it with blueprints and it's valid spots by game mechanics. Problem is why you can build something by blueprint and it not works right without additional actions by player.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.15.6] [kovarex] Bug with rail signal

Post by kovarex »

Thanks for the bug report. It took us quite a while to understand why is that happening, and it is actually corner case of the otherwise correct logic of restricting connection of signals in opposite direction.

It is fixed for 0.15.12 by forcing all signals built by robots to connect to the rail even if it don't match the suggested signal direction.

aaargha
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aaargha »

kovarex wrote:Thanks for the bug report. It took us quite a while to understand why is that happening, and it is actually corner case of the otherwise correct logic of restricting connection of signals in opposite direction.

It is fixed for 0.15.12 by forcing all signals built by robots to connect to the rail even if it don't match the suggested signal direction.
Interesting. Does that mean that from 0.15.12 there may be situations where you have to keep signals blueprinted to be able to place them in some spots? Meaning that before you get construction robots there may be pieces of rail that are impossible to signal?

It sounds like the suggested signal locations will still not show all correct locations but that the bots will be able to ignore that?

M60Beowulf
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by M60Beowulf »

The way I understand it: there was never anything wrong with manual placement of signals, so nothing is changed there. The only bug found and fixed is that a signal in a blueprint can be placed somewhere where the robots incorrectly place a signal in a special case, such that it doesn't connect to the originally manually chosen rail and direction of travel. Now there is a fail-safe programmed in for these cases where the surrounding blueprint changed such that any signal that was about to not connect, ignores the direction of travel suggested by the blueprint and connects to the rail, but in the direction that doesn't break the connection to the originally chosen rail.

Reading this back, I cannot see how this comment could possibly help you understand how the bug is fixed, so TL:DR, don't worry about it, the devs have our back and are awesome. Just play and have fun.

aaargha
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aaargha »

This is what I'm referring to. As for whether it's working as intended or not is up to the devs, but as a player it sure doesn't feel like it's working correctly.

M60Beowulf
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by M60Beowulf »

Yep, I see that, but that is just a situation where it visually looks like the tracks aren't split just yet, but in the game logic they are. So wanting to place a signal there just isn't going to work. Place it a little ahead or behind the split and you are fine, but you already said that you understood that in the other thread. So need for me to post this, but I typed it already.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”