[0.14.8] [Oxyd] --start-server-load-scenario saving

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
studmuffin
Inserter
Inserter

[0.14.8] [Oxyd] --start-server-load-scenario saving

Post by studmuffin »

Just found the bug forum. Originally posted this in technical help >_>

I've done more testing and the command isn't behaving properly.

if I only do --start-server-load-scenario SCENARIONAME, it wont start because it doesn't have a map to use. Makes sense.

--start-server FILE --start-server-load-scenario SCENARIONAME it will load the save i specify (must be full path), but it does not load the scenario into the server. When I close the server, it will save in the saves folder, but still no scenario.

--start-server-load-latest --start-server-load-scenario SCENARIONAME it seems to load the latest save file in the configured server/saves folder (like it should), but does not notify it did so. The Scenario DOES start, and autosaves add the scenario to the save file. But when I close the server (ctrl+c) it says it's saving to SteamApps\common\Factorio\bin\x64 (which fails)
134.082 Info MainLoop.cpp:199: Saving map as E:\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Factorio\bin\x64
So it half works...I can start scenario's from the command line into any new map i want. But closing the server has a bug which doesn't save the file properly. So progress is lost back to the last autosave.

Can a dev check this? definitely a bug.
Last edited by studmuffin on Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Re: [0.14.8] [Oxyd] --start-server-load-scenario saving

Post by Oxyd »

studmuffin wrote:if I only do --start-server-load-scenario SCENARIONAME, it wont start because it doesn't have a map to use. Makes sense.
No, that doesn't make sense – it should start like that. And it does start for me. So: Can't reproduce.

Post the log from your attempt where it wouldn't start.
--start-server FILE --start-server-load-scenario SCENARIONAME it will load the save i specify (must be full path), but it does not load the scenario into the server. When I close the server, it will save in the saves folder, but still no scenario.

--start-server-load-latest --start-server-load-scenario SCENARIONAME it seems to load the latest save file in the configured server/saves folder (like it should), but does not notify it did so. The Scenario DOES start, and autosaves add the scenario to the save file. But when I close the server (ctrl+c) it says it's saving to SteamApps\common\Factorio\bin\x64 (which fails)
These flags aren't meant to be used together. The game shouldn't even allow you to do that. That's been fixed in 0.14.10 – you'll now get an error if you combine --start-server-load-scenario with --start-server or --start-server-load-latest.

studmuffin
Inserter
Inserter

Post by studmuffin »

Oxyd wrote:
studmuffin wrote:if I only do --start-server-load-scenario SCENARIONAME, it wont start because it doesn't have a map to use. Makes sense.
No, that doesn't make sense – it should start like that. And it does start for me. So: Can't reproduce.
I was unable to replicate this again either. Perhaps I had something misspelled in the command and missed the error message. I first discovered this on 14.7, so perhaps I'll try reverting to that beta to test just to see if I'm crazy or not. Being unable to find any documentation on how this command was supposed to function, I was unsure of it's intended use and output.

So the command is to start a server with a scenario fresh each time? If that's the case, it shouldn't be attempting to save the map at all (which, the path is broken, if it is supposed to be saving). What about being able to save progress or restart the server and preserve data across resets? It does autosave, but then starting the server with this same commands would bypass previous autosaves. There are some scenario's I have which are perfectly fine not having saves across resets. But I do have a few where i want to save progress. Perhaps the map creation scripts along with converting a map to a scenario would be better for this prior to starting the server.. I'll have to play with it more to see how I can automate this.

kenzierocks
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by kenzierocks »

This bugfix seems to have broken --start-server for me.

Normally I use

Code: Select all

~/steamcmd/steamapps/common/Factorio/bin/x64/factorio --server-settings server-settings.json --start-server saves/server.zip --autosave-interval 10
to start the server, but now that just gives me

start-server can't be used together with start-server
. This error doesn't make any sense.

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

kenzierocks wrote:This bugfix seems to have broken --start-server for me.

Normally I use

~/steamcmd/steamapps/common/Factorio/bin/x64/factorio --server-settings server-settings.json --start-server saves/server.zip --autosave-interval 10
to start the server, but now that just gives me

start-server can't be used together with start-server
. This error doesn't make any sense.
This is already handled in a new report.

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Oxyd »

studmuffin wrote:So the command is to start a server with a scenario fresh each time? If that's the case, it shouldn't be attempting to save the map at all (which, the path is broken, if it is supposed to be saving). What about being able to save progress or restart the server and preserve data across resets? It does autosave, but then starting the server with this same commands would bypass previous autosaves. There are some scenario's I have which are perfectly fine not having saves across resets. But I do have a few where i want to save progress. Perhaps the map creation scripts along with converting a map to a scenario would be better for this prior to starting the server.. I'll have to play with it more to see how I can automate this.
I guess it is meant to start the scenario fresh each time – that's what you are telling it to do – start a scenario. And the scenario doesn't change if you create a map out of it and play on it.

I made it so that it will save to saves/<scenario name> when you exit, so you get to keep your progress. And yes, if you want to create a map out of a scenario, just running factorio --scenario2map once sounds like an easier option.

Since the weird startup flag combination has been fixed (and in 0.14.11, --start-server will work again), and the server will now save when started from a scenario in 0.14.11, I'll move this to resolved.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”