Reusing previously localized strings in localization file

Place to get help with not working mods / modding interface.
canidae
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Reusing previously localized strings in localization file

Post by canidae »

I noticed that it's possible to reference certain localized strings in your mod's localization. For example, you can add a localization like: "test_msg = Test: __ENTITY__coal__" and it'll show up as "Test: Coal" for English localization in the game (and I'm guessing as "Test: Kull" for Norwegian localization).
(Note: I'm currently at work and I might not remember the "__ENTITY__coal__" syntax entirely correct)

In a mod I wish to reuse localization of technology names, but I was unable to find any examples of this. This is what I'm trying:

Code: Select all

[virtual-signal-name]
grenade-damage = [Auto Research] __TECHNOLOGY__grenade-damage__ (signal value sets tech level)
research-speed = [Auto Research] __TECHNOLOGY__research-speed__ (signal value sets tech level)
toolbelt = [Auto Research] __TECHNOLOGY__toolbelt__ (signal value sets tech level)
This also leads me to a 2nd question:
Neither could I find a way to reference earlier localization in the same file, i.e:

[auto-research]
signal_text_append = (signal value sets tech level)

[virtual-signal-name]
grenade-damage = [Auto Research] __TECHNOLOGY__grenade-damage__ __auto-reseach.signal_text_append__
research-speed = [Auto Research] __TECHNOLOGY__research-speed__ __auto-reseach.signal_text_append__
toolbelt = [Auto Research] __TECHNOLOGY__toolbelt__ __auto-reseach.signal_text_append__
Is this possible, or is it necessary to duplicate the localization from the base game?

LuziferSenpai
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Reusing previously localized strings in localization file

Post by LuziferSenpai »

canidae wrote:I noticed that it's possible to reference certain localized strings in your mod's localization. For example, you can add a localization like: "test_msg = Test: __ENTITY__coal__" and it'll show up as "Test: Coal" for English localization in the game (and I'm guessing as "Test: Kull" for Norwegian localization).
(Note: I'm currently at work and I might not remember the "__ENTITY__coal__" syntax entirely correct)

In a mod I wish to reuse localization of technology names, but I was unable to find any examples of this. This is what I'm trying:

[virtual-signal-name]
grenade-damage = [Auto Research] __TECHNOLOGY__grenade-damage__ (signal value sets tech level)
research-speed = [Auto Research] __TECHNOLOGY__research-speed__ (signal value sets tech level)
toolbelt = [Auto Research] __TECHNOLOGY__toolbelt__ (signal value sets tech level)
This also leads me to a 2nd question:
Neither could I find a way to reference earlier localization in the same file, i.e:

[auto-research]

[virtual-signal-name]
grenade-damage = [Auto Research] __TECHNOLOGY__grenade-damage__ __auto-reseach.signal_text_append__
research-speed = [Auto Research] __TECHNOLOGY__research-speed__ __auto-reseach.signal_text_append__
toolbelt = [Auto Research] __TECHNOLOGY__toolbelt__ __auto-reseach.signal_text_append__
Is this possible, or is it necessary to duplicate the localization from the base game?
You need to write:

[virtual-signal-name]
grenade-damage = [Auto Research] __1__ __2__
research-speed = [Auto Research] __1__ __2__
toolbelt = [Auto Research] __1__2__ __3__
Not more!!
Coding is awesome!
Animes are love!
Factorio is life!

My MODs:
Click

Greetz,

Senpai

canidae
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by canidae »

Thanks for your reply, but I don't think that'll help me. I'm not printing it out to the console and don't supply the localization strings with parameters (i.e. the __1__, __2__, etc).
The localization is used by extended data:

data:extend({
    {
        type = "virtual-signal",
        name = "grenade-damage",
        icon = "__auto-research__/graphics/icons/signal/grenade-damage.png",
        subgroup = "virtual-signal-number",
        order = "r[auto-research]-[01]"
    }
}

LuziferSenpai
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by LuziferSenpai »

canidae wrote:Thanks for your reply, but I don't think that'll help me. I'm not printing it out to the console and don't supply the localization strings with parameters (i.e. the __1__, __2__, etc).
The localization is used by extended data:

data:extend({
    {
        type = "virtual-signal",
        name = "grenade-damage",
        subgroup = "virtual-signal-number",
        order = "r[auto-research]-[01]"
    }
}
I was thinking you using a script ...

Than you need to do this:

[virtual-signal-name]
grenade-damage = [Auto Research] Grenade damage (signal value sets tech level)
research-speed = [Auto Research] Research speed (signal value sets tech level)
toolbelt = [Auto Research] Toolbelt (signal value sets tech level)
The __1__ is only for guys that using scripts for making entitys, items, recipes etc. . Like my Straight Pipes or Rail Tanker ;)
Coding is awesome!
Animes are love!
Factorio is life!

My MODs:
Click

Greetz,

Senpai

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aubergine18 »

I'm pretty sure there's a way to do it, but I can't remember the mod where I saw it done.

Localisation strings are nestable, both in suff from control.lua and, to a lesser extent, from prototype definitions and even .cfg files. A good example in .cfg files is the __CONTROL__ keyword.

It looks like the main issue canidae is having is determining which keyword to use. I'll have hunt through my mods folder (it's got over 200 mods in it, so I may be some time)...
Better forum search for modders: Enclose your search term in quotes, eg. "font_color" or "custom-input" - it prevents the forum search from splitting on hypens and underscores, resulting in much more accurate results.

canidae
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by canidae »

aubergine18 wrote:I'm pretty sure there's a way to do it, but I can't remember the mod where I saw it done.

Localisation strings are nestable, both in suff from control.lua and, to a lesser extent, from prototype definitions and even .cfg files. A good example in .cfg files is the __CONTROL__ keyword.

It looks like the main issue canidae is having is determining which keyword to use. I'll have hunt through my mods folder (it's got over 200 mods in it, so I may be some time)...
Spot on.
I'm already using "__CONTROL__" and I found "__ENTITY__" and "__ITEM__" in the base game files, but nothing for technologies.

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aubergine18 »

I'll just dump search results, including mod name for reference, as I find them...

__ENTITY__ followed by entity prototype name:

Engineersvsenvironmentalist_0.1.3/locale/en/ores.cfg:
25 [item-name]
26: gold-ore=__ENTITY__gold-ore__

This shows, in .cfg file, the locale key for an item name simply referring to the locale key for its corresponding entity name.

__CONTROL__ followed by custom-input prototype event name:

base/campaigns/beta/level-01/locale/bg/beta_level-01.cfg:
3: goal-enter-car-insert-fuel=Постройте колата, вкарайте гориво (въглища) в нея и влезте с __CONTROL__toggle-driving__.

__ITEM__ followed by item prototype name:

base/campaigns/beta/level-03/locale/ja/beta_level-03.cfg:
4: msg-could-make-more-2=__ITEM__defender-capsule__

I imagine there's also a __FLUID__ one.

__hold__ and __press__ - looks like these are direct references to existing locale keys:

base/campaigns/demo/level-01/locale/ar/demo_level-01.cfg:
2: goal-close-character-screen=.(__press __CONTROL__close-gui) ةيصخشلا ةهجاو قلغا
17: goal-mine-iron-ore-precise=__hold __CONTROL__mine__): __1__/__2) ديدحلا ماخ نع بقن

Looking at the above, it seems that __ in front of something denotes a reference, and __ after something is a delimiter at the end of the reference. So, if the something after a reference is not an alphanumeric character, it's treated as a delimiter automatically - like the __2 above is delimited by )
Better forum search for modders: Enclose your search term in quotes, eg. "font_color" or "custom-input" - it prevents the forum search from splitting on hypens and underscores, resulting in much more accurate results.

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aubergine18 »

That's all I could find so far. Didn't see any ref to __TECHNOLOGY__ or anything like that. It might be worth scouring any mods made by Konan, Rseding91 or any of the other devs from Wube, as they are likely to use little-known tricks in their mods.

If all else fails, ask for a __TECHNOLOGY__ marker in the Modding Interface Requests forum.

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aubergine18 »

@canidae did you ever find a solution for this?

I've realised that the groups in locale files are actually just part of the locale key names that appear within them, for example:

[some-group]
some-thing = some text
Is equivalent to:

some-group.some-thing = text
So you might be able to do something like this:

my-thing = __some-group.some-name__
It's possible that a mod name is needed, for example:

my-thing = __ModName__some-group.some.name__
I've not had chance to test any of this yet, but might be worth a try if you have time.

canidae
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by canidae »

aubergine18 wrote:@canidae did you ever find a solution for this?

my-thing = __some-group.some-name__
It's possible that a mod name is needed, for example:

my-thing = __ModName__some-group.some.name__
I've not had chance to test any of this yet, but might be worth a try if you have time.
No, I haven't found a solution for either problem.
I've tested out the examples you gave above and some more, neither of these work:

grenade-damage = [Auto Research] Grenade damage __auto-research.signal_append__
grenade-damage = [Auto Research] Grenade damage __auto-research__auto-research.signal_append__
grenade-damage = [Auto Research] Grenade damage __auto-research.auto-research.signal_append__
grenade-damage = [Auto Research] Grenade damage __auto-research__.auto-research.signal_append__

Mooncat
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Mooncat »

Hi all,

How about the "localised_name" property? I know it is in entity prototype, item prototype and recipe prototype, but haven't tried it on virtual signal prototype myself.

Try to add this when defining the prototype:

localised_name = {"virtual-signal-name.grenade-damage", {"(The technology locale key)"}, {"auto-research.signal_text_append"}}
While keep the locale to be

[auto-research]

[virtual-signal-name]
grenade-damage = [Auto Research] __1__ __2__

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aubergine18 »

EDIT: I completely misread the comment above, thinking it was for GUI elements, not prototypes.

But what if you want to use existing locale keys from, say, an entity description (rather than a GUI caption)?
Last edited by aubergine18 on Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mooncat
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Mooncat »

aubergine18 wrote:But what if you want to use existing locale keys from, say, an entity description (rather than a GUI caption)?
Entity descriptions are under [entity-description], so...

{"entity-description.(entity name)"}
would do the trick.

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aubergine18 »

If setting the caption of a GUI element, yes. But what about setting the description of the entity itself, or item, etc. Those are defined in data.lua, not control.lua.
Last edited by aubergine18 on Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mooncat
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Mooncat »

aubergine18 wrote:If setting the caption of a GUI element, yes. But what about setting the description of the entity itself, or item, etc. Those are defined in data.lua, not control.lua.
Oh! I have no idea then. Maybe we need localised_description or something more powerful like your request.
Though I don't think this topic is really related to whether it is in data.lua or control.lua. :geek:

canidae
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by canidae »

Mooncat wrote:Hi all,

How about the "localised_name" property? I know it is in entity prototype, item prototype and recipe prototype, but haven't tried it on virtual signal prototype myself.
Hi there Mooncat. Thanks for Creative Mod[e], and for the tip on the localized_name property. Your suggestion helped me solve my problem. Since I already had a "[Auto Research] __1__" string I wanted to reuse, I ended up with some nested strings instead. This is how it turned out in the end:

prefix = [Auto Research] __1__
signal_text = __1__ (signal value sets tech level, tech will be deprioritized if value is set to 0)

{
        type = "virtual-signal",
        name = "grenade-damage",
        localised_name = {"auto-research.prefix", {"auto-research.signal_text", {"technology-name.grenade-damage"}}},
        subgroup = "virtual-signal-auto-research",
        order = "g[auto-research]"
    },
Last edited by canidae on Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mooncat
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Mooncat »

My pleasure! :D Happy modding!

aubergine18
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aubergine18 »

Oh wow I didn't realise localised_name could be used in prototype definitions like that. Completely misread Mooncat's earlier comment.

Looking at data.raw it's only used one single time for "dummy-selection-tool" prototype. Great find!

@canidae: Does it change the name or description of the signal? Or something else? (I assume description)

Mooncat
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Mooncat »

aubergine18 wrote:Oh wow I didn't realise localised_name could be used in prototype definitions like that. Completely misread Mooncat's earlier comment.

Looking at data.raw it's only used one single time for "dummy-selection-tool" prototype. Great find!

@canidae: Does it change the name or description of the signal? Or something else? (I assume description)
It only changes the name. So I'm afraid it is not what you are looking for. :?

(I got this property by luck. When I checked the API doc of LuaEntityPrototype, I found the localised_name property and assumed it should also be available in data.lua. lol)

Return to “Modding help”