[0.14.5][posila] Pollution by Fire when pollution disabled

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
Kevin94
Inserter
Inserter

[0.14.5][posila] Pollution by Fire when pollution disabled

Post by Kevin94 »

I'm currently working on an own scenario. It will be a PvE scenario and I wanted only the destruction of spawners to influence evolution factor. When testing the map I found that fire produces Pollution even if Pollution is disabled in the MapSettings.

Steps to reproduce:
Start new Map, execute

Code: Select all

/c game.map_settings.pollution.enabled = false

in the console, cheat yourself a flame-thrower or flame-thrower-turret, make a little fire and look for the pollution in the map view.

It's a minor issue as this little bit of pollution won't change anything, just wanted you to know.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.14.5][posila] Pollution by Fire when pollution disabled

Post by posila »

Thanks for the report.
It is kind of fixed for 0.14.6.

Kind of, because fire generates pollution through entity property emissions_per_tick. Chunk consolidates all emissions_per_tick to single value. Problem is that trees also use emissions_per_tick to reduce pollution, and I made it so if pollution is disabled and chunk's emissions_per_tick is positive, it is not added to pollution on chunk. That means if you disable pollution, fire will basically prevent pollution reduction by trees on the same chunk (because fire generates 5 times more pollution than single trees removes). It won't matter in your case ... but it might matter to somebody else.
Or maybe pollution simulation should be completely stopped when pollution is disabled.

Kevin94
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Kevin94 »

posila wrote:Or maybe pollution simulation should be completely stopped when pollution is disabled.
This is what I would have expected. It doesn't make sense, to calculate the distribution and removal of something that should not exist.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Well, that's the thing. Currently, it is used in a way, that it prevents generating pollution. But someone can build a factory, generate huge amount of pollution and run the command or install mod dat will run it. So there could still be huge cloud of pollution in the game.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”