[14.4] [Oxyd] Error during autosave with mod GUI open; WriteFileGuard triggered

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
hoho
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[14.4] [Oxyd] Error during autosave with mod GUI open; WriteFileGuard triggered

Post by hoho »

I've had a couple of times when the game crashes during autosave when I have research queue GUI opened when it triggers. It doesn't happen all the time and it has varying results like hanging, writing incomplete save games and getting windows error messages about "unknown error".

This latest time I got that unknown error message. No save game was created but I did get a rather messy thingy in the log file that I hope can help with figuring out what's the deal. Unfortunately I have lost the broken save games but I can add them here in future if it happens again.

I haven't figured out a way to consistently reproduce the error but it might be related to pushing the buttons in the mod UI the moment autosave triggers.

I've attached the log file. I can provide my mod folder and save on request.

I would have posted it in mod thread but I think having the game crash to windows means I should probably do it here instead.
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(2.1 MiB) Downloaded 170 times

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [14.4] Crash during autosave with mod GUI open; WriteFileGuard triggered

Post by Loewchen »

Please .zip your mod-folder, upload it to something like dropbox and post the access link.

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Re: [14.4] Error during autosave with mod GUI open; WriteFileGuard triggered

Post by Oxyd »

I'd also like some representative save, please. Such as the latest save from this game that you have.

The log that you posted shows a fairly clean error exit, though. If you could post a log with an actual crash – such as one from when you get that “Unknown Error” thing – that would also be nice.

hoho
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hoho »

Mods:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3614707/mods.zip

Latest autosave:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/361 ... osave1.zip

As I said, I haven't figured out what specific steps I need to perform to trigger it. Just having the UI open during autosave doesn't seem to cause but I haven't tested that for more than maybe half a dozen times.

hoho
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hoho »

Apparently I missed this comment
Oxyd wrote:I'd also like some representative save, please. Such as the latest save from this game that you have.
I attatched a the latest save from the game where I have had such crashes in the previous comment. The save should be fully functional one, not one of those broken ones I have seen a couple of times.
Oxyd wrote:The log that you posted shows a fairly clean error exit, though. If you could post a log with an actual crash – such as one from when you get that “Unknown Error” thing – that would also be nice.
Sadly, I didn't pay too much attention to the log files before. One time I had the game just hang there without any error messages that did generate a broken save file, the log file contained absolutely nothing after the stuff that gets logged after loading up the game.

I was about to make a bugreport then with that broken save but since I was stupid enough to relaunch the game in background, the broken autosave got removed by the game.

I'll be sure to post relevant stuff next time I have the error reoccur in some way or form. Though, sadly, I'll be away from my PC until next week and it might take a while before I can do anything.

What I have done since the last comment was to have the game running for a couple of hours in the background with the mod UI open. It didn't have any errors. I guess it does get triggered by clicking around when the autosave starts.

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Oxyd »

Alright, thanks. It actually seems pretty easy to reproduce – I've been able to reproduce it fairly consistently by clicking in the research queue gui just before the game autosaves.

I'll let you know if I need anything else.

hoho
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hoho »

[edit]
Apparently, you managed to reply while I was writing this comment :D
[/edit]

I managed to verify one way to create the type of crash I reported in the original comment.

What you have to do is to add researches to the queue that you can quickly swap around and spam the buttons at the time autosave is about to trigger.

I did that by clicking on the down arrow on inserter capacity bonus 3 on the image. That made it swap places with stack inserter 2 and I could spam it as fast as I could without moving the mouse around.

When I did that I got that same "unknown error" windows message, also seen on the image here. I also attached the log file. It seems to point to same sort of error as last time.

It doesn't create the broken save file, though. It might be possible that it's caused by something unrelated. I have no idea how to even attempt to re-create that bug.
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(2.13 MiB) Downloaded 158 times
unknown_error_crash.PNG
unknown_error_crash.PNG (372.35 KiB) Viewed 3963 times

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Re: [14.4] [Oxyd] Error during autosave with mod GUI open; WriteFileGuard triggered

Post by Oxyd »

So, apparently, the problem is when you click a GUI element belonging to a mod whilst the game is saving, the game doesn't like it. Should be fixed in 0.14.5.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”