[Multiplayer] GUI reset when client performs actions

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
lenny27g
Inserter
Inserter

[Multiplayer] GUI reset when client performs actions

Post by lenny27g »

For over a month now I have been hosting a Multiplayer LAN server (not headless) for myself and one other person.

If the client is doing anything (nothing specific that I have found yet, simply doing things) then my GUI constantly resets its state.

By this I mean:
If I open the menu to set an item for a filter inserter, the selection menu will close.
If the menu opens to select a recipe for a machine to use, the menu will close.
If I am in the research tree, the scroll area will be reset and the selected research will default back to when the tech tree was opened (the last or current research)
If I open the menu to set an item for a requester chest, the selection menu will close.
If I am dragging the bar that selects a quantity (such as a requester chest), the bar will reset.
If I am typing in any text box in any menu, I will lose focus on the text box and can't type until I click on it again.
If I am setting train conditions, dragging train wait times, colors, or other such menus.
If I am in production or electricity statistics, the menu will default back to 5s

It does not:
Reset the main inventory screen or its tabs.
Interfere with game options/control menus.

It has done this across multiple worlds, from version 0.12 to the current version, without mods and with mods. It resets my menus every 1-2 seconds and has slowly caused me to lose my sanity. The only time it does not occur is when the client player is performing absolutely no actions or simply does not exist.

If you want a video of what this does I could record one.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [Multiplayer] GUI reset when client performs actions

Post by Rseding91 »

Are you using any mods? Have you checked your controls to make sure you haven't bound "e" (the key by default to exit a GUI) to your mouse by mistake?

Please post your log file.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

lenny27g
Inserter
Inserter

Post by lenny27g »

Ok we finally found the exact circumstance that causes this issue and its weird.
I checked the controls when I first noticed this happening to see if a key was causing it, and it wasn't. Turns out that in a way the controls are actually the cause though.
After testing for about half an hour of just doing random actions and seeing if they match with the UI resets (was rather tricky being that we are not in the same room) we found that it occurs when he walks downward...
So I looked at the keybindings to see if there is some weird interaction causing it. He reassigned his down key to X. I checked my X assignments which had the defaults of 'change active quickbar' and some editor thing.
Changing these did not fix the problem. So I checked the client computer and he also had X as those defaults in addition to walk downward. For whatever reason the walk down was an override to change active quickbar and his quickbar did not change when he pressed X. Reassigning his down key resolved the problem, and changing his 'change active quickbar' key resolved the problem.

The cause is simply that when a client presses change active quickbar, the host has his UI slapped in the face. The key overlap itself doesn't seem to be the cause of the problem (other than making it harder to find the true cause).
I don't understand why or how this could affect the host, but it does. (and if you find the reason I'd love to know, quite curious at this point).
log if you still need it
Edit: As you can see I do use mods, but I had this issue when we were playing vanilla as well.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Thanks for the report,

If i understand correctly,

A client pressing the 'switch quickbar' cutotn will reset your guis

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Oxyd »

Fixed in 0.13.14, thanks.

Compboy
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Compboy »

Can they be awarded bug-find of the month?

thx for the fix.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”