[0.13.8][posila] Performance degradation

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
keyboardhack
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[0.13.8][posila] Performance degradation

Post by keyboardhack »

Zoomed out all the way in the save below there is a big fps degradation which wasn't happening in 0.13.6.
In 0.13.6 i was getting ~14/14 fps/ups.
In 0.13.8 i am getting ~ 7/14 fps/ups.

Afaik i have not changed anything about my setup or my settings that should cause that.

Save:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ilxcu9kw47mlm ... e.zip?dl=0

Mods:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zl230delqgcg ... UlKPa?dl=0
0.13.6-factorio-current
0.13.8-factorio-current
Waste of bytes : P

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.13.8] Performance degradation

Post by Rseding91 »

We haven't changed anything that would cause any performance increase or decrease so any changes you're seeing aren't related to the version change.

It sounds like your computer simply can't handle Factorio and the amount and size of sprites it's rendering.

Have you tried turning the graphics settings down to low? You've got it set to "all" right now.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Does your FPS go up back to 14 if you disable Alt mode?
I made small change, that should improve rendering of Alt mode when Linear filtering of icons is enabled ... but it might have opposite effect.

Anyway, using Video memory usage "all" with WaiTex is quite pushing it ... maybe computer reboot would help. Also you can try to use --force-d3d launch option to see how it performs under Direct3D.

keyboardhack
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by keyboardhack »

Rseding91 wrote:We haven't changed anything that would cause any performance increase or decrease so any changes you're seeing aren't related to the version change.

It sounds like your computer simply can't handle Factorio and the amount and size of sprites it's rendering.

Have you tried turning the graphics settings down to low? You've got it set to "all" right now.
That doesn't make much sense. The two reading are at the same place in my factory with the same settings. If my computer wasn't able to handle it then the fps should also be down in 0.13.6 but they are not. That means that something must have changed between 0.13.6 and 0.13.8 that decreased the fps.

Here are the timings i get in 0.13.6 and 0.13.8. Both are taken fully zoomed at the same place(well ~10m apart) and they are both from the same save.

keyboardhack
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by keyboardhack »

posila wrote:Does your FPS go up back to 14 if you disable Alt mode?
I made small change, that should improve rendering of Alt mode when Linear filtering of icons is enabled ... but it might have opposite effect.

Anyway, using Video memory usage "all" with WaiTex is quite pushing it ... maybe computer reboot would help. Also you can try to use --force-d3d launch option to see how it performance under Direct3D.

When not in alt mode the fps returns to normal and drops again when alt mode is set again.
When running 0.13.8 with --force-d3d there is no change between alt mode and not alt mode.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Ok, it is related to change I made. Thanks for bringing this up to our attention. I suggest you to disable linear filtering for icons in graphics options for time being.
Problem is that Test-mode mod loads item icons, which erases their "icon" flag a they are not filtered. However black background under icons in alt mode is filtered (that is the change I made), and having to switch between filtered and unfiltered textures all the time disturbs sprite draw batching.

TruePikachu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by TruePikachu »

The bigger problem, in my eyes, is that you're at 14UPS in both situations, and 7FPS is the single-frameskip speed for 14UPS (where 14FPS is no frameskip). Technically, if you were on the borderline for 14FPS in .6, even a small slowdown for .8 would result in the drop to 7FPS.

Did you artifically set 14UPS, or is that as fast as your system can handle?

Compboy
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Compboy »

TruePikachu wrote:...

Did you artifically set 14UPS, or is that as fast as your system can handle?
He provided Both save + mods. I would say load it and post your FPS/UPS.

Edit: My Potato crashed.

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.13.8][posila] Performance degradation

Post by posila »

Should be fixed for 0.13.9

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”