[0.12.24][steam][windows 10] Science pack 3 not filling up

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
Lee_newsum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[0.12.24][steam][windows 10] Science pack 3 not filling up

Post by Lee_newsum »

Science pack 3 (blue) is not filling up the bar it is like the bar is 1000 but the Science pack 3 is 999.9

I have 10 labs I put 9 in 4 of them and 1 I put I in it, lab 2,3,4,5 had looks like full bars(see pick)
Attachments
help1.png
help1.png (1.72 MiB) Viewed 4998 times

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.12.24][steam][windows 10] Science pack 3 not filling up

Post by kovarex »

I don't understand the problem. The technology requires blue science pack, so the bar will not move as long as there is none.

Lee_newsum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lee_newsum »

dos this help
Attachments
help2.png
help2.png (861.26 KiB) Viewed 4992 times

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

I understand (I think).
If you have a research needing 100 red, green and blue science packs, you'll need an additional maybe 1% of blue pack to actually finish the research, as if a blue science pack did not give 100% but 99.9%. At least I think this is what this report is saying. Haven't tested this myself.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Lee_newsum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lee_newsum »

some what, if you have a Research with 4 red, green and blue science packs and 2 labs.

you put 1 red, green and blue science packs in lab1
and then add 2 red, green and blue science packs in lab2
lab2 looks like it has not done (eat) the 3nd set of red, green and blue science packs.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

I fixed 2 sources of rounding problems related to research (those that I could reproduce) for 0.12.25, I believe it will fix these problems.

flatmush
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by flatmush »

The best way to avoid rounding errors is to just use fixed point (integers). If you don't require dynamic range then floating point numbers are the wrong tool for the job. Might seem like a pain at first, but it's well worth the effort to avoid all these corner-cases.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

flatmush wrote:The best way to avoid rounding errors is to just use fixed point (integers). If you don't require dynamic range then floating point numbers are the wrong tool for the job. Might seem like a pain at first, but it's well worth the effort to avoid all these corner-cases.
Not true in this case, as fractional numbers can appear here.

flatmush
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by flatmush »

Fixed point numbers handle fractions just fine (it's kinda the point), what you probably want in this case is Q16 or 16.16.

I'm not going to describe the whole process here cause wikipedia can explain better than me, but you basically scale the number:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fixed-point_arithmetic

If you're compiling with GCC, it actually supports them natively with an extension, so you can use them just like floats.

If the science pack fraction is just like 100, then multiply the integer by 100, that way there can be no rounding error.

EDIT: I think I see what you mean, the fraction is defined by the number of research labs? I was assuming there'd be a minimum fraction of a pack that can be used, to avoid rounding errors like that.

Still, for fracitons fixed point can easily be more accurate. A single precision float only has 24- bits of accuracy, while a fract32 has 32, or fract64 has 64. You can use an 80-bit float on x86 though (long double) and that's always as accurate cause it has a 64-bit mantissa.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

flatmush wrote:Fixed point numbers handle fractions just fine (it's kinda the point), what you probably want in this case is Q16 or 16.16.

I'm not going to describe the whole process here cause wikipedia can explain better than me, but you basically scale the number:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fixed-point_arithmetic

If you're compiling with GCC, it actually supports them natively with an extension, so you can use them just like floats.

If the science pack fraction is just like 100, then multiply the integer by 100, that way there can be no rounding error.

EDIT: I think I see what you mean, the fraction is defined by the number of research labs? I was assuming there'd be a minimum fraction of a pack that can be used, to avoid rounding errors like that.

Still, for fracitons fixed point can easily be more accurate. A single precision float only has 24- bits of accuracy, while a fract32 has 32, or fract64 has 64. You can use an 80-bit float on x86 though (long double) and that's always as accurate cause it has a 64-bit mantissa.
Exactly, with fractions, like 1/3, it won't help you having the fixed point at 1/100. And yes, we use doubles for that and it is enough.

We use fixed point numbers on some places where it is appropriate, like the map coordinates.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”