[0.12.21] [Oxyd] copy/paste still broken on Linux

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
prg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[0.12.21] [Oxyd] copy/paste still broken on Linux

Post by prg »

Copy/paste is still broken for me as described in https://forums.factorio.com/forum/viewtop ... 11&t=18577.
Automatic Belt (and pipe) Planner—Automate yet another aspect of constructing your factory!

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Re: [0.12.21] copy/paste still broken on Linux

Post by Oxyd »

Can't reproduce.

prg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by prg »

Okay, just tried on a different system and it's indeed working fine there, but I also just tried it on older versions (.3 and .19) and it was already working with those. Copy/paste was and still is broken on my desktop.
Automatic Belt (and pipe) Planner—Automate yet another aspect of constructing your factory!

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Oxyd »

Peculiar. When I tried the steps from your previous report in 0.12.20, it was indeed buggy as you described – I wouldn't have been able to fix it otherwise. Maybe there's something specific about your desktop that makes copy&paste not work?

prg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by prg »

Did some more testing and it's getting weird now. Thought it might be an issue of KDE (desktop, broken) vs. plain Openbox (notebook, working) so I tried running Factorio inside Openbox on my desktop and... it was working. At first. Kept copy/pasting stuff around for a while and it happened again. Tried the same on my notebook and now it's happening there too. If I just keep pressing ctrl+v once things get wedged I sometimes get garbage like boxes or centered dots instead of the text I copied. But no idea how to reliably trigger it...

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Oxyd »

Hm, I see. Do you have klipper enabled in your KDE install? That might interfere with things, causing the bug to surface.

prg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by prg »

Already tried without klipper, didn't make a difference. Also wouldn't explain why I'm seeing the issue in plain Openbox now.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Is there any change in this topic? I don't use linux and can't try it out, so It is up to you guys, either solve it, or put it to 1/0 magic.

prg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.12.21] [Oxyd] copy/paste still broken on Linux

Post by prg »

Still broken in 0.12.25.

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Oxyd »

Okay, let's see if you can reproduce this in 0.12.27.

pcmaster160
Inserter
Inserter

Post by pcmaster160 »

It works for me now on Arch Linux on version 0.12.27, hasn't worked for quite a while IIRC.

Demosthenex
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Demosthenex »

Remember X11 has two clipboards! I frequently copy code from Emacs to paste, and i have to run "xsel | xsel -b" to copy one clipboard buffer to the other so that paste works in Factorio. It's not unique having the issue, many cross platform applications don't properly understand the two clipboards.

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Oxyd »

Demosthenex wrote:Remember X11 has two clipboards! I frequently copy code from Emacs to paste, and i have to run "xsel | xsel -b" to copy one clipboard buffer to the other so that paste works in Factorio. It's not unique having the issue, many cross platform applications don't properly understand the two clipboards.
It actually only has one clipboard – or rather what it calls CLIPBOARD. Then it has PRIMARY and SECONDARY – nobody ever uses SECONDARY, so far as I know. PRIMARY is the thing text goes to when you select it, and it is the thing text comes out of when you middle click.

We don't support PRIMARY (let alone SECONDARY) and we have no intention to support it.

Edit: Also, not sure what exactly you're doing, but when I select something in Emacs and copy it by pressing M-w, I can C-v it in Factorio just fine. Likewise, selecting text in Factorio, C-c, then C-y in Emacs pastes it correctly.

Demosthenex
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Demosthenex »

Oxyd wrote:
Demosthenex wrote:Remember X11 has two clipboards! I frequently copy code from Emacs to paste, and i have to run "xsel | xsel -b" to copy one clipboard buffer to the other so that paste works in Factorio. It's not unique having the issue, many cross platform applications don't properly understand the two clipboards.
It actually only has one clipboard – or rather what it calls CLIPBOARD. Then it has PRIMARY and SECONDARY – nobody ever uses SECONDARY, so far as I know. PRIMARY is the thing text goes to when you select it, and it is the thing text comes out of when you middle click.

We don't support PRIMARY (let alone SECONDARY) and we have no intention to support it.

Edit: Also, not sure what exactly you're doing, but when I select something in Emacs and copy it by pressing M-w, I can C-v it in Factorio just fine. Likewise, selecting text in Factorio, C-c, then C-y in Emacs pastes it correctly.
So I am simplifying the issue, I agree there are layers. In default X11 without a desktop shell (no GNOME, no KDE) there is no synchronization between clipboard and primary. So when I M-w to copy in Emacs, I use "xsel | xsel -b" to sync from one clipboard to the other. I didn't find this unusual because I deal with this with Virtualbox and other apps.

I thought perhaps their issue was related and they could try the xsel trick.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”