[Rseding91] Crash on autosave after 12.8 to 12.9 update

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
miceless
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[Rseding91] Crash on autosave after 12.8 to 12.9 update

Post by miceless »

I loaded Factorio earlier and got the update window so I told it to go ahead. The update failed (I forget the message). I tried again and it failed again. So I loaded my modded save and started playing. A few minutes later it crashed on me. Trying again, it seemed to always crash on auto save.

So i figured something had gone wrong in the update process and went to do something else. Sure enough, when I tried it later the update came through fine. So I loaded my save and prayed. Still crashed on auto save.

Figuring maybe something has indeed gone wonky in the update process, I downloaded the new version directly and reinstalled all the mods. No luck, still crashing on auto save.

I can play fine with auto saves off (I can still save manually), but I would like them on. I suppose I could revert to 12.8. I couldn't find anything about this here so I figured I would post this to see if anyone else is having the problem or if anyone has any ideas. I have attached the most recent log file.
Attachments
factorio-current.log
(7.99 KiB) Downloaded 274 times

miceless
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Crash on autosave after 12.8 to 12.9 update

Post by miceless »

Ok, it may be an issue with saving in general as opposed to auto save. I played fine for 15 minutes and it then crashed when I saved. Loading back up again I was able to save fine again, then it crashed the second time I saved.

Uploading the log for the latest crash. EDIT: The logs seem to be very different, which is interesting.
Attachments
factorio-current2.log
(7.21 KiB) Downloaded 235 times

hoho
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hoho »

I had similar issue. I too tried to update with the in-game tool, got some error but the game restarted and it claimed to be 12.9. I created a new world (with a ton of mods) and it started crashing quite often on autosave. Though it seemed that the save itself was successful as after the crash I could load them in and continue right at the point the game crashed.

After downloading the entire game from the page, extracting all the files to a new place and copying over mods AND save game I had created I've now been able to play around an hour with zero crashes.

So, it seems like something got messed up with the in-game updating tool.

In case it matters, I'm running 64bit Factorio in 64bit Linux.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Can you upload the save(s) that you're having these issues with?
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

hoho
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hoho »

Apparently I spoke too soon, I just had a crash on that freshly downloaded game as well :)

I did some testing and apparently autosaves worked just fine as long as I didn't have the crafting menu open. The moment autosave tried to fire with the menu opened, it crashed with this log (in attachment).

Unfortunately I won't be able to upload my save (and mods) for quite a while yet but if it's needed I'll do it in about a day or so.
Attachments
factorio-previous.log
(6.49 KiB) Downloaded 248 times

miceless
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by miceless »

I have uploaded my save file:

http://1drv.ms/1KPYKXj

I have also uploaded my zipped mods folder, in case that is of some use:

http://1drv.ms/1JHAHFT

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

miceless wrote:I have uploaded my save file:

http://1drv.ms/1KPYKXj

I have also uploaded my zipped mods folder, in case that is of some use:

http://1drv.ms/1JHAHFT
Do you have an exact series of steps you can do to make the crash happen?

miceless
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by miceless »

Rseding91 wrote:Do you have an exact series of steps you can do to make the crash happen?
I guess just wait for an auto save and/or try to save the game a few times. It seems to happen pretty regularly on save.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

miceless wrote:
Rseding91 wrote:Do you have an exact series of steps you can do to make the crash happen?
I guess just wait for an auto save and/or try to save the game a few times. It seems to happen pretty regularly on save.
What's your autosave interval set on? Also do I need to do anything or just stand there?

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Oxyd »

miceless wrote:
I've loaded your save with your mod folder, let a few autosaves happen, saved a few times manually, but got no crash.

miceless
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by miceless »

Ok so I tried reverting to 12.8 so I can play again and apparently I can't load 12.9 saves in 12.8. Makes sense I suppose. I loaded one of my backups from 12.8 (its the one just before the first failed attempt to update to 12.9) for testing purposes (I would rather not lose the progress) and eventually it crashed on me. I guess it has nothing to do with the update.

So I ran a scan on my disk drive and apparently it found some faults. Didn't say what. Still crashing. So I copied the entire game directory to my other drive. Still crashing. Is it possible the save itself is somehow corrupted? I can still save manually with no problems more often than not.
Rseding91 wrote:What's your autosave interval set on? Also do I need to do anything or just stand there?
My autosaves were turned off for a while as I thought that was the cause of the problem. Before that they were on 2 minutes. If I literally stand around and do nothing, it seems to not crash (I haven't tested this for long periods).
Oxyd wrote:
miceless wrote:
I've loaded your save with your mod folder, let a few autosaves happen, saved a few times manually, but got no crash.
If I recall correctly in the save I uploaded I was running around outside the walls of the south west corner of my base fighting the biters and collecting the small pink artifacts that were building up there while I contemplated taking out the large base to the south. If I do that again now the game pretty much crashes on the first autosave guaranteed.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

The game is crashing when trying to deconstruct something. Where you using the deconstruction tool at any point during this?

miceless
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by miceless »

Rseding91 wrote:The game is crashing when trying to deconstruct something. Where you using the deconstruction tool at any point during this?
I don't think I was at the time but I was using the tool to remove old walls and pick up alien artifacts at several points. Perhaps its possible there were some orders still in progress.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

I haven't been able to reproduce this. Perhaps you could record your game up until it crashes so I could watch it and reproduce the steps? That is, if you can get it to crash again.

Until then I'm going to move this to pending since there's not much I can do until it can be reproduced.

miceless
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by miceless »

Rseding91 wrote:I haven't been able to reproduce this. Perhaps you could record your game up until it crashes so I could watch it and reproduce the steps? That is, if you can get it to crash again.

Until then I'm going to move this to pending since there's not much I can do until it can be reproduced.
Ok, so I loaded the save and just left it running afk to see if it would crash by itself. It ran for a good 20 or 25 minutes without any problems. So I saved the game as a test save and tried to get it to crash. No crash. I have played normally for several hours on this new save and had no problems.

If I load up that other save it still crashes on the first auto save. I don't know what it is about that save or what I am doing in it, but something is weird. I have recorded it as requested and attached the log for the video's crash:

https://youtu.be/N7pR6KHo1_Q

I guess I will continue with my new save and see how it goes.

EDIT: it occurs to me having just watched my own video that there are lots of robots flying around repairing the walls and turrets behind me. Could it be something to do with that i wonder?
Attachments
factorio-current-vid.log
Log for the crash in the video
(7.23 KiB) Downloaded 197 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

Ok, I was able to reproduce it. Now to debug it and figure out what's going wrong :)

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [Rseding91] Crash on autosave after 12.8 to 12.9 update

Post by Rseding91 »

It looks like several of the tiny alien artifacts laying on the ground are marked for deconstruction but don't have the "marked for deconstruction" flag set on them.

Do you know if anything special was done around those items in your save? Perhaps a migration script or some kind of special thing that would mark/unmark them for deconstruction in a special way?

miceless
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by miceless »

Rseding91 wrote:It looks like several of the tiny alien artifacts laying on the ground are marked for deconstruction but don't have the "marked for deconstruction" flag set on them.

Do you know if anything special was done around those items in your save? Perhaps a migration script or some kind of special thing that would mark/unmark them for deconstruction in a special way?
Not that I know of. Maybe one of the mods?

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

I believe I found the cause of the items getting in a weird state. Your save now loads in 0.12.11 and doesn't crash on auto-save anymore when picking up those items.

miceless
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by miceless »

Rseding91 wrote:I believe I found the cause of the items getting in a weird state. Your save now loads in 0.12.11 and doesn't crash on auto-save anymore when picking up those items.
Nice. Glad you were able to track it down. Was it mod related or just some really random/rare thing?

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”