[Donion] [1.1.74] Water pipe sound distortion (crackling/stutter/cutouts)

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
HoboDroid
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[Donion] [1.1.74] Water pipe sound distortion (crackling/stutter/cutouts)

Post by HoboDroid »

1. Placed some pipes connected to an offshore pump, both underground and regular pipes
2. Sound distortion, crackling noise/stutter/cutouts
3. Expect clean sound
4. Happens always
5. Zoom in. Place an offshore pump with output facing left side. Connect an underground pipe next to it. Connect another underground pipe to the first underground pipe one space apart. Connect a regular pipe to the second underground pipe. Connect an underground pipe to the left of the regular pipe. Connect a second regular pipe to the first regular pipe, facing down. That will create sound distortion.
To hear more distortion, add, one by one, 3 regular pipes to the left of the second regular pipe. Then, one by one, place 3 regular pipes to the right side. Connect another row of pipes to enjoy more distortion.

The sound distortion is extreme and is very unpleasant to hear, like a nail on a chalkboard. It ruins game experience.
factorio-current.log
(4.95 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
pipe.mp4
(12.68 MiB) Downloaded 74 times
water crackling.zip
(1.33 MiB) Downloaded 60 times

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [1.1.74] Water pipe sound distortion (crackling/stutter/cutouts)

Post by Deadlock989 »

I can confirm this. I have noticed odd and unpleasant audio artifacts when running past pipes. It is most noticeable with headphones.

I had some modded pipes where I had to remove the pipe's working sound completely because it was unbearable to be moving around anywhere near them (they had a sharper and higher frequency "gas hiss" sound where the distortions were even more obvious). I am fairly (but not 100%) sure that the same sound worked reasonably well in older versions of Factorio (early 1.1).

Donion
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [1.1.74] Water pipe sound distortion (crackling/stutter/cutouts)

Post by Donion »

Thank you for the report. When a pipe is placed down and the water sloshes around, a pipe can go inactive for a tick and its sound would start fading out and fading back in next tick when the pipe is active again. There was an issue with the volume calculation while fading, it is now fixed for the next release.

Deadlock989 wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:01 am
I can confirm this. I have noticed odd and unpleasant audio artifacts when running past pipes. It is most noticeable with headphones.
This sounds unrelated and I'm not aware of such issue. If you have more information, ideally with a video and/or savefile, create a new thread for it, please.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”