[1.1.53] Unexplained Freeze / Lock Up when close to maximum tick value

Anything that prevents you play the game properly. Do you have issues with paying for the game, downloading it or properly running it on your computer? Let us know here.
wackyeric
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[1.1.53] Unexplained Freeze / Lock Up when close to maximum tick value

Post by wackyeric »

The game just seems to lock up and freeze for no apparent reason on one particular map/save. It first happened inn 1.1.50. I had to open task manager and end task to close it out. When I loaded the game back up, it updated to 1.1.53, but still froze at the exact same point in the map/save.

I tried loading the save file into another fresh instance of the game on the same PC, and it freezes at the exact same point.
I tried loading the save file into a fresh instance of the game on a different PC, and it freezes at the exact same point.
I tried disabling all mods and running the save file, and it still freezes. (I'm guessing at the same point, but can't tell because of mods used not enabled).

What's even more odd, is that while the game appears locked up and frozen, with the only thing seemingly able to fix it is to 'end task' in task manager, task manager is reporting that the game is still running, varying between using between 14% and 16% of the CPU. It will continue to do this for hours even until the task is killed because it will still appear frozen.

I tried using the method to provided by rseding91 in a different post to fix corrupted map files, but it didn't change anything. It still freezes.

I'm at a loss. Is there anything that can be done? Or is all the hours and work just gone?

One additional note, I haven't had any apparent problems with any other save file freezing / locking up.
Attachments
3rd World - Before Crash.zip
(30.34 MiB) Downloaded 26 times
factorio-current.log
(9.28 KiB) Downloaded 26 times

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [1.1.53] Unexplained Freeze / Lock Up

Post by Loewchen »

Can you still open/close the map after it froze?
How old is that game playtime wise roughly?

wackyeric
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by wackyeric »

While frozen, nothing responds. It won't let you do anything. It won't let you click on anything. No keys work. I've had the rocket GUI open at the time of freeze on several attempts to diagnose issue, and it won't even let you close it. Map view won't open/close

The only thing that can be done is ending task in task manager.

I can open the map/save file after ending task and restarting the game, but it just freezes again.
I've tried opening the save, and then creating a new save file, but the only thing the new save file does it give less time before the instant it freezes.
Even continuing an autosave created a minute or two before it freezes, only results in a freeze at the same instant in time.

That particular game has probably over 1000 hours running time (I started it around the middle of November 2021). I've let it run while I've been doing other things.

Genhis
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Genhis »

Hello! Unfortunatelly, you hit the limits of Factorio. The save file has impressive 19884 hours of play time.

Here is a fixed version, hopefully nothing got broken: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Bzb3Ah ... sp=sharing

wackyeric
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by wackyeric »

Thank you, Genhis!

Out of curiousity, what limits of Factorio was hit?

I'd like to try and avoid this unfortunate event in the future.

Also, everything seems to look OK, except for the map view. For some reason there are a few areas that are covered by radars but are dark (fog of war), but the entire rest of the visible/discovered map is able to be seen even without radars covering the areas.

Is there any way to fix this?
If not, at least I can live with it, and maybe as I work to re-arrange things for better organization and such, and make other changes, it will resolve itself.

Thank you again!

Genhis
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Genhis »

You were close to the maximum tick value (4,294,967,296 or 2^32) which overflowed and turned into an infinite loop in transport belt merging logic. This occurs very rarely as players usually start a new game long before reaching the maximum value but it may happen to servers which run 24/7. Unless you happen to play for another 19884 hours, it shouldn't happen again.

To fix the radar issue, enter this to the console:

Code: Select all

/c game.player.force.rechart()

wackyeric
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by wackyeric »

Ahhh... so max tick value. Makes sense.

So, I noticed when I loaded the fixed save, it looked like a couple commands were issued.

wackye (command): game.print(game.tick)
wackye (command): game.print(game.tick)

I'm assuming this was a change in the tick value that resulted in it thinking it was basically starting from scratch in tick values?

How would I cause this to happen myself?
I ask for 2 reasons...
1) In case it does happen again in this save file (hopefully not).
2) I have a couple of other saves whose tick values are probably getting pretty high themselves. (I have been known to run 3 instances at once (crazy I know!))

Thank you again!

Genhis
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Genhis »

Yeah, I let the game run at speed 20, so it would overflow.

If you have other save files which are close to max tick value, some community members recommended to do the following:
  1. Open editor (/editor)
  2. Pick a deconstruction planner and add all types of transport belts to its whitelist (undergrounds and spitters too, just to be safe).
  3. Deconstruct your base
  4. Still in editor, let the game tick value overflow (there is a button to unpause the game).
    You can increase the game speed to make this process quicker.

/c game.speed = 20
    You can check your current tick using

/c game.print(game.tick)
  5. When done, reduce speed back to 1

/c game.speed = 1
    and press Ctrl+Z (or whatever key you use as undo) to undo the transport belt deconstruction.
  6. Close editor (/editor)
  7. Game should continue normally.

wackyeric
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [1.1.53] Unexplained Freeze / Lock Up when close to maximum tick value

Post by wackyeric »

Ooof!

This process makes me nervous about breaking things and losing materials/products.

But I'm assuming if this process is how you were able to fix it for me, and only the radar coverage ended up being a problem (but easily resolved), then it's a scary but viable option.

Thank you again so much. I greatly appreciate it.

Return to “Technical Help”