Friday Facts #111 - Long term plans

Regular reports on Factorio development.
kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Friday Facts #111 - Long term plans

Post by kovarex »

Ohlmann
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #111 - Long term plans

Post by Ohlmann »

Biter on fire who ride laser T-rex.

Malaras
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Malaras »

Fire the secret? If not whats the Secret? "gets all excited"
Last edited by Malaras on Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Phoenixian
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by The Phoenixian »

As far as long term plans and the space platform goes: Honestly, this rate of progression seems kind of on par from what I've seen.

It seems like, with basically every early access game, any big project that occurs later on in development takes about a year from the moment the foundations are laid to when it's finally implemented.
The greatest gulf that we must leap is the gulf between each other's assumptions and conceptions. To argue fairly, we must reach consensus on the meanings and values of basic principles. -Thereisnosaurus

delus
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by delus »

Disappointed about the space platforms getting taken off-line but keep up the good work! My vote is definitely for a space exploration expansion after release!

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

The current state of the game is probably already well ahead of many recent AAA titles, both in replay value (I've easily broken 500 hours on Factorio in the year that I've known about it :lol:) and in overall quality and stability. Seems like a sound business decision to release the game with the planned improvements for the 0.14 and take the space platform part out into a later expansion (I would also happily pay a reasonable price to buy that, if you're considering going that direction)
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

McRib
Inserter
Inserter

Post by McRib »

The Space part is a hugh step and a lot of work i understand that but at this point i wont throw it out of the window anymore because already you did a lot of work for it. Also the player now count on it.. and really that is the high end content not just the feeling great i manage to build the spaceport and now i won? Many user wont like that because they are feeling that is a cheap solution.

Sure you have to figue out what how to get stuff up and so on. But really it is THAT end game we wish us ;). Because there is NO different at all between the placeholder from last year and this building... just some more materials and nothing more.
Last edited by McRib on Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Phillip_Lynx
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Phillip_Lynx »

I am sad about the postpone of the spaceplatform, but ...

take your time, and ....

if it only gets to the expansion, then ....

TAKE MY MONEY :) (have paid the price for a good film at the cinemas and get 100reds of hours of fun out of it :) )

Ohlmann
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Ohlmann »

Thinking about it, I don't really care that the space plateform is cancelled (or post poned). It was cool on paper, but very very theorical and I am not sure it would have added much.

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

McRib wrote:and really that is the high end content not just the feeling great i manage to build the spaceport and now i won? Many steam user wont like that because they are feeling that is a cheap solution.
That's all a matter of presentation. We on the forum know about the space platform plans because it's been talked about for months. Present the game on steam as "build a base so you're able to launch a satellite to communicate with your homeworld" and THAT is the end game. Then a number of months down the road, the expansion becomes 'build a space platform to transport materials back home" (or whatever story fits into the devs' vision)
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

Darthlawsuit
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Darthlawsuit »

Was never too happy with the space idea. I want to build my base not play around in space. I would never launch off and "win" the game because I don't want to abandon my base. What I'd like to see is some sort of terraforming device that converts the world into human livable habitat... on the offside human habitat would be considered severe pollution to the natives so massive unending attacks would occur till they die of poisoning from the terraforming. When that's done bring in colonists. Or keep the devices up and an area around them is human livable and build human living areas while biters try to destroy terrafrming device which would slowly kill the humans.
Last edited by Darthlawsuit on Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ThaChillera
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ThaChillera »

you're already talking about expansions. does this mean you're not planning on supporting the game post-1.0 for free terraria or minecraft-esque (and don't starve, for a while)? or are you thinking multiple years into the future when talking about expansion plans?

Darthlawsuit
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Darthlawsuit »

ThaChillera wrote:you're already talking about expansions. does this mean you're not planning on supporting the game post-1.0 for free terraria or minecraft-esque (and don't starve, for a while)? or are you thinking multiple years into the future when talking about expansion plans?
Add in onto this... Are you going to do expansions in the traditional one large release every so often or are you doing the paradox DLC method where you have major dlc(expansion) with minor dlc(sprites/music) thrown in between major releases with free game patching.

I'm hoping for the paradox method myself it has been really good for their games.

Jonathan88
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Jonathan88 »

Fire looks amazing!

Bit of a shame about the space platform but what I was really looking forwards to was the colonising and setting up food/living for more colonists! That's quite a big thing to be a mod...

About 'finishing' the game - I love the constant updates and development but I know that you are keen to make other things which I'm sure will be very good! I also know people who aren't already playing Factorio might only play a full release but It would be great to have 1.x releases after the full game comes out. I would happily buy any DLCs as long as they're not Train Simulator Prices...

P.S. If anyone has any advice on how to get into modding Factorio, I would be interested. (I have quite a bit of experience with programming logic but not actual code)
FactoriOh No: when it's accidentally 2am, again

Smarty
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Smarty »

secrets?

START THE HYPE TRAIN!!!!!!!!

Mr. Thunder_Tw
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Mr. Thunder_Tw »

At first I thought "damn the space-platform gone".
Though on second thought, it's not bad if they are considering to add a lot to the game itself.
So yes if that's something far down the line, why not after release.

But please don't consider the game sold and finished when released. It's not going to be sold better on disks than it does now on-line.
It's 2015 and these days things get downloaded after a good 'hype' or marketing campaign. You feed the website and sold.
But software is not finished when it's finished. At least not this type of game. It's multi-player,multilingual and multi-platform, what is there not to love?
It's that all these multi thingies tend to change over time. new windows, new IOS, new hardware, new politics?
Secondly I hope you drag open the sales a good while longer by holding the "under development dreams" while already being a game one could play endlessly. It sells, check Minecraft :p.

Sure down the line there will be some cool ideas to start up after Factorio. Just, take the time.
Factorio isn't a risk investment any more as far as I see it. Exemplary work on the stable releases. It's a real strong point of Factorio. Well that and the steady stream of experimental releases. Just, take the time.
And thanks for the good fun it already is :oops:.
my Mod: ThunderGui

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

Interesting how #111 falls just before Fallout 4 launch.

Ohz
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ohz »

Factorio is on my top 5 the best game I ever played in my whole 30 years old life, and trust me I played a lot of games.
I'm about playing my 30th map, and played between 50 to 100 hours each.

- 50% for the gameplay (puzzle/surviving/logic gate/role playing/ending goal) and replaying value (trains/hardcore/no crafting challenge/mods...) and all the super crazy efficient coding that allow us to play with millions of items on screen without any drop ot fps.
- 25% the gigantic effort you put into it to add gameplay content (and not just to add lazy decoration), fix bugs, and the huge work on the graphics. Already from 0.10 you could sell it for 25€ and don't give a fuck for the next
- 25% for the awesome community, your communication and how you listen people, the mods and all the amazing guys here with smart suggestions and full of genius contraption buildings. One of the most active forum of about gaming.

Thank you.
I'm not english, sorry for my mistakes

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

I noticed that the Fluid extention (Fluids as fuels, fluid train wagon etc) isn't on that todo list, I've been waiting for that since I first saw it on the expected list back when 0.10 was new.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

irbork
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by irbork »

Working on secrets is not good thing, it's not quake where you have to find good stuff, good stuff has to be mined and processed.

Return to “News”