Improved player crafting queue

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Loothor
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Improved player crafting queue

Post by Loothor »

Hi there - Only had Factorio for a few days and it's a great game! I just had a suggestion:

Improved crafting queue. I find myself making things in bulk so that I can run around and do things while the longer items build. I think it would be awesome with some form of "list" that you can drag and drop items. It could also be in a tree form to show what items are being crafted for what 'bigger' items.

Something like this: (a drag and drop type interface)

******Top of queue*****

*item
*item
*item (in a series)
----item
-------item
---------final item
*item
*item

If you drag an item in a series, it will move the entire series.

I hope you like it! and sorry if this is a repost, I glanced through the search and didn't see anything that sounded like this.

pyrolytic_tungsten
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Improved player crafting queue

Post by pyrolytic_tungsten »

Being able to rearrange the queue would be great. There have been many times where I was crafting a bunch of stuff and had to cancel it all because I had forgotten or ran out of something that I needed very soon. Just need to make sure the interface can handle displaying the entire queue even if it gets rather large.

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

Even though I find myself doing this as well, I don't think it is a good idea. If you craft things yourself you are probably doing it wrong.
It's a game about automation.
That's my view, at least.

Loothor
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Loothor »

sillyfly wrote:Even though I find myself doing this as well, I don't think it is a good idea. If you craft things yourself you are probably doing it wrong.
It's a game about automation.
That's my view, at least.
True, the game is about automation - But to get to that point, you have to craft things ;)

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

pyrolytic_tungsten wrote:Being able to rearrange the queue would be great. There have been many times where I was crafting a bunch of stuff and had to cancel it all because I had forgotten or ran out of something that I needed very soon. Just need to make sure the interface can handle displaying the entire queue even if it gets rather large.
Yes this! Rearrange non tree locked craft would be really helpful!

Loothor
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Loothor »

Thank you for the list. All the ideas seem great. I still do think a more UI approach on the crafting queue should be done. I noticed a few people are really against player crafting, but it is a necessary evil :). Besides, I recently started playing and I am still learning the best (and worst) ways to set up a factory. My current game is a cluster, so I don't have many autofactories as I am trying to fix it and rebuild in a new location. (which takes player crafting ;))

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”