[0.12.6][Oxyd] Spawning on top of entity in multiplayer

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

[0.12.6][Oxyd] Spawning on top of entity in multiplayer

Post by daniel34 »

I'm usually visiting my dedicated server once or twice per day. I've had it happen twice now that I respawn on the server directly on top of an entity. Once it was an assembly machine, another time it was an electric drill.
Yesterday I made a video that shows this bug. I disconnected, then someone placed an assembly machine at the point I was standing, then I rejoined.

I know that once you rejoin you can mine the entity (in this case assembler) under you and remove it, but I'd still consider this a bug. Maybe the game should see whether that tile is already occupied and respawn the player on the nearest tile not occupied by any entity.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

keyboardhack
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.12.6] Spawning on top of entity in multiplayer

Post by keyboardhack »

You should also make sure that you dont spawn on an island (if that is the closest land) because that would be much worse :D
Waste of bytes : P

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

Spawning on an island in multiplayer can only happen when you logged off there.
Nonetheless I'm with you on that regard that in singleplayer you can start on an island and get stuck there. But that would require a check whether or not you've been spawned on an island, which is far more difficult than just checking if you're on top of an entity.

However, given that there are mods such as Landfill, which can create water too, there should be a check for that in the game.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Re: [0.12.6][Oxyd] Spawning on top of entity in multiplayer

Post by Oxyd »

Fixed in 0.12.8.

kosievdmerwe
Inserter
Inserter

Post by kosievdmerwe »

daniel34 wrote:Spawning on an island in multiplayer can only happen when you logged off there.
Nonetheless I'm with you on that regard that in singleplayer you can start on an island and get stuck there. But that would require a check whether or not you've been spawned on an island, which is far more difficult than just checking if you're on top of an entity.

However, given that there are mods such as Landfill, which can create water too, there should be a check for that in the game.
The way to prevent spawning on an island is to only consider a tile adjacent, if there a way to walk there (removing all buildings, trees, etc).

So you'd consider the nearest unoccupied tile that is reachable.

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”