Page 1 of 1
[2.0.77] Crash loading save: "Corrupt map: unknown quality prototype ID 9"
Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2026 6:12 pm
by Destrux
Hi ,
Just tried to load my game after a windows update and now it crashes
see attachments.
the mod list is readable in the log
but if you want I can upload them too?
I'm in the insider preview group of windows.
using the current factorio steam version 2.0.77
Re: [2.0.77] Crash loading save: "Corrupt map: unknown quality prototype ID 9"
Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2026 7:32 pm
by sparr
This probably belongs in Bug Reports. Thanks for including the save and log!
Re: [2.0.77] Crash loading save: "Corrupt map: unknown quality prototype ID 9"
Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2026 9:06 pm
by Rseding91
The game isn’t supposed to crash, however it’s crashing after it detected the save was corrupt half way through loading it.
The crashing I’ll look into fixing, but the save itself is corrupt and won’t load regardless of the crash being fixed.
Re: [2.0.77] Crash loading save: "Corrupt map: unknown quality prototype ID 9"
Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2026 10:12 pm
by Destrux
that is strange because all saves of that game are then corrupt,
I tried the autosave 6 seconds before that savegame.
the previous autosave(10 minutes before that) is then also corrupted.
very strange that...
I think it has something to do with the windows update this week, before the update my game worked, after that the above error came up.
edit: thanks sparr for moving this thread to the correct place.

Re: [2.0.77] Crash loading save: "Corrupt map: unknown quality prototype ID 9"
Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2026 10:26 pm
by Loewchen
Destrux wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2026 10:12 pm
that is strange because all saves of that game are then corrupt,
I tried the autosave 6 seconds before that savegame.
the previous autosave(10 minutes before that) is then also corrupted.
very strange that...
Not that strange, the value stored in memory got corrupted while you played and every save created from that point on contains the corruption.
Re: [2.0.77] Crash loading save: "Corrupt map: unknown quality prototype ID 9"
Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2026 7:14 am
by Destrux
Loewchen wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2026 10:26 pm
Destrux wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2026 10:12 pm
that is strange because all saves of that game are then corrupt,
I tried the autosave 6 seconds before that savegame.
the previous autosave(10 minutes before that) is then also corrupted.
very strange that...
Not that strange, the value stored in memory got corrupted while you played and every save created from that point on contains the corruption.
Does that mean I have to start the game anew? or can the savegame be recovered?
Can that corruption happen again ? and if so how do I prevent it ?
Re: [2.0.77] Crash loading save: "Corrupt map: unknown quality prototype ID 9"
Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2026 7:16 am
by Rseding91
Destrux wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2026 7:14 am
Does that mean I have to start the game anew? or can the savegame be recovered?
Can that corruption happen again ? and if so how do I prevent it ?
So far, every person who has had this style of corruption has eventually traced it to failing/failed hardware (most commonly RAM). So testing that, and figuring out if that's what caused it would be prudent.
Re: [2.0.77] Crash loading save: "Corrupt map: unknown quality prototype ID 9"
Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2026 11:05 am
by Destrux
Just did a standard mdsched , and no errors were found, so my memory is okay at least, I will do an OCCT test later.
First time my save game has been corrupted irreparably.
Still think it has something to do with the windows insider preview upgrade (that happened almost at the same time!)
So the game got corrupted in memory, and all saves from that point on were corrupted also ? with no chance of repair?
it's just... i dunno ... it took me about 144 hours of game time , :/ that's frustrating to cope with.
I hope the game can solve that issue in the future.
EDIT: okay, i just loaded a savegame that was 20 hours before (first trip to fulgora) that worked