Topics and discussion about specific mods
Tinyboss
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[MOD 0.12.26] Picker: Easily select items from inventory

Post by Tinyboss »

Type: Mod
Name: Picker
Description: Gives you an eyedropper-like tool to select items by putting the cursor over objects in the world. E.g. mouse over an assembler and press 1 to select assemblers from your inventory.
License: Public domain
Version: 0.1.0
Release: 2016-03-15
Tested-With-Factorio-Version: 0.12.26
Category: Convenience
Tags: Inventory, Convenience
Download-Url: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/118 ... _0.1.0.zip

0.13 version available on the mod portal

Latest portal version is 1.0.0:
- Now able to select rails
- Now able to select an item if something else is currently in hand
License
Long description
Pictures
Known issues
Version history
Last edited by Tinyboss on Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:48 pm, edited 13 times in total.

billw
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Picker: A new tool for easily selecting items from inventory

Post by billw »

Awesome. I am trying it now! Two issues I ran into:
If you build it to your inventory you can't put it in the shortcut bar because you can't move your mouse to the shortcut bar without it deselecting. And when I did it just disappeared when I tried to move it and I had to build another.

Tinyboss
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Tinyboss »

billw wrote:Awesome. I am trying it now! Two issues I ran into:
If you build it to your inventory you can't put it in the shortcut bar because you can't move your mouse to the shortcut bar without it deselecting. And when I did it just disappeared when I tried to move it and I had to build another.
Yeah, there's definitely room for improvement on moving it around your inventory. Try clearing out a spot on your quickbar before building it. Or, with it in your main inventory, shift-click it to send it to your quickbar.

Hopefully once you get it into the slot you want, you never have to worry about moving it again. But it's definitely something I need to improve on.

If you ever want to get rid of it, you can put it into a container with shift-click.

billw
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by billw »

Yeah I figured out how to work around it, just might be worth noting in the known issues.
Anyway I used it more for the last few hours and its definitely handy, good job!

Darloth
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Darloth »

Really useful, I prefer this to the Eyedropper.

I do have one small request though:
When using bob's electronic mod, or any other mod that makes the start game phase take longer, even getting to the yellow Picker can actually be quite a trial.

Could you make the yellow one even cheaper, please? Maybe just iron and copper plates?

Tinyboss
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Tinyboss »

Darloth wrote:Really useful, I prefer this to the Eyedropper.

I do have one small request though:
When using bob's electronic mod, or any other mod that makes the start game phase take longer, even getting to the yellow Picker can actually be quite a trial.

Could you make the yellow one even cheaper, please? Maybe just iron and copper plates?
I've never used any of those mods--I had no idea electronic circuits could be a chore! I changed it to an iron plate and a copper plate and uploaded the new version. Thanks for letting me know!

Tinyboss
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Picker: Easily select items from inventory

Post by Tinyboss »

I finally got around to updating this for the scripting changes introduced in 12.11 (I haven't been playing Factorio lately).

Liquid5n0w
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.26] Picker: Easily select items from inventory

Post by Liquid5n0w »

Any chance this will get updated to 0.13? Or if I change the files will it work with 0.13 I wonder...

Tinyboss
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Tinyboss »

Liquid5n0w wrote:Any chance this will get updated to 0.13? Or if I change the files will it work with 0.13 I wonder...
It's done and on the mod portal. I've also simplified it to just add a hotkey to the Options->Controls->Mods page called "select entity". No more need to create items that behave weirdly when you try to move them around your inventory.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

Hi OP. I took the liberty to add that you mod is available on the mod portal for 0.13. Feel free to change my edit if you don't like it :).
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Liquid5n0w
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Liquid5n0w »

Tinyboss wrote:
Liquid5n0w wrote:Any chance this will get updated to 0.13? Or if I change the files will it work with 0.13 I wonder...
It's done and on the mod portal. I've also simplified it to just add a hotkey to the Options->Controls->Mods page called "select entity". No more need to create items that behave weirdly when you try to move them around your inventory.
Thank you very much! your work really helps the game be more enjoyable!

Tinyboss
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Tinyboss »

Liquid5n0w wrote:Thank you very much! your work really helps the game be more enjoyable!
Thanks for taking the time to say so, it's great to hear!

I've uploaded a new version 1.0.0 to the mod portal. Details in OP.

Liquid5n0w
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Liquid5n0w »

Quick update to being able to use it while holding something. Thank you that was bugging me!

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

2 Minor bugs

Missing Locale entry for hotkey

[controls]
picker-select=Item Picker

Also no item message outputs entity.name should be changed to output entity.localised_name

Tinyboss
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Tinyboss »

Nexela wrote:2 Minor bugs

Missing Locale entry for hotkey

[controls]
picker-select=Item Picker

Also no item message outputs entity.name should be changed to output entity.localised_name
Thanks for the report! Somehow an old locale.cfg made it into the 1.0.0 release. I made a 1.0.1 version that restores the hotkey description.

I need to do a little more reading to understand how localised strings work, and it's too late for that tonight, so it'll have to wait, but it's now on my list.

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

No problem this is an awesome addition to my game, I changed my keybind to Q it negates the switching back to what was in my hand but I think it is a lot more intuitive. Q to remove item, if hand is empty Q to pick entity

Tinyboss
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Tinyboss »

Nexela wrote:No problem this is an awesome addition to my game, I changed my keybind to Q it negates the switching back to what was in my hand but I think it is a lot more intuitive. Q to remove item, if hand is empty Q to pick entity
Wow, I never thought to do that but it works really well. I'm going to add that suggestion to the mod description.

Edit: Actually...I could update the mod to clear your cursor if you're not hovering over an entity, and then it could completely replace the standard "clear cursor" command. Best of both worlds? What should happen when you are holding a stack of assemblers, then you try to pick an inserter, but you don't have any inserters in your inventory? I'm thinking it should clear the cursor, what do you think?

Nexela
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Nexela »

Tinyboss wrote:What should happen when you are holding a stack of assemblers, then you try to pick an inserter, but you don't have any inserters in your inventory? I'm thinking it should clear the cursor, what do you think?
Not sure how I would feel about this one without trying it. On one hand I would be trying to "change" to something, but on the other hand maybe if I realized I don't have said something I could keep building what is currently in my hand.

But I guess it would be more intuitive if it cleared, I would have to try it and see.

British_Petroleum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by British_Petroleum »

This is probably my new favourite mod. So simple yet so convenient.

Elwin
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Elwin »

Hey thanks for an awesome mod!

How about if you pick a belt or inserter, it would rotate it the same way?

Return to “Mods”