Topics and discussion about specific mods
Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

[MOD 0.12.x] Manufacturing Units

Post by Klonan »

Type: Part
Name: Small Manufacturing Unit / Steel Manufacturing Unit
Description: A burner powered Smelter/Assembler combo! Can only use recipes with 1 ingredient, also a late game Steel version is available.
License: MIT
Version: 0.1.2 / 0.1.3
Release: 2015-07-25
Tested-With-Factorio-Version: 0.12.0
Category: Item
Tags: Low tech, Coal, Wood, Assembly, Early Game, Iron
Download-Url: As attachment
License
Long description
Pictures

Original mod by Laige: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 93&t=13952

UPDATE: I changed the name of the small manufacturing unit to the Burner manufacturing unit. There is no need to update, as the original is fine. If you do, you will need to replace all the old 'small-manufacturing-units' with the new 'burner-manufacturing units'. Ill-advised.

Other than that i tweaked the pollution value slightly to be balanced better around the furnace (1.8 pollution) and assembler (3 pollution), and the burner manufacturing unit has a pollution of 2.5

Plz leave me any feedback, bug reports or compliments either here or somewhere!
Attachments
steel_manufacturing_unit_0.1.3.zip
Fixed Animation Name
(216.41 KiB) Downloaded 4771 times
burner_manufacturing_unit_0.1.2.zip
Renamed from Small manufacturing unit, balanced pollution.
No migration script, don't 'update' unless you want to replace all your small manufacturing units with burner ones.
(238.16 KiB) Downloaded 2079 times
steel_manufacturing_unit_0.1.2.zip
Fixed modules, Changed power consumption
(217.02 KiB) Downloaded 282 times
small_manufacturing_unit_0.1.1.zip
Old release/ -- Renamed to Burner Manufacturing unit. No need to update.
(722.7 KiB) Downloaded 492 times
Last edited by ssilk on Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:37 am, edited 10 times in total.
Reason: Changed title to match board rules http://www.factorioforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=947

laige
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [0.12.x] Small Manufacturing Unit

Post by laige »

Hi

I'm testing it out now. It looks great.

My findings
  • I'm liking that 2x2 grid idea for the machine, and the fast replacing with the small furnaces.
  • I noticed that the collision doesn't allow walking between the machine when they are next to each-other. Furnaces allow for walking between them, perhaps the small manufacturing unit should too.
  • bit off topic. I'd like to see about making a burner inserter mod. Making a burner inserter able to pull from the fuel slot of a machine/furnace that it is pulling items from; in order to add to its own fuel. That would be a good mod too, and probably would fit well in the normal game.
Last edited by laige on Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

laige wrote: I noticed that the collision doesn't allow walking between the machine when they are next to each-other. Furnaces allow for walking between them, perhaps the small manufacturing unit should too.
[/list]

Nice catch, I intended it to be like that but set the collision box slightly too big, I've fixed it for the latest version.

I think the burner mod would be a great addition, i've wanted to do the same for pulling things from furnaces before with burner inserters. It would make sense if they only pull to refuel themselves, instead of throwing all the coal onto the output belt.

Thanks for your feedback :]

666JTK666
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by 666JTK666 »

I love the idea of this mod, will dload and try it out asap, seems like this would be a terrific add-on to a no hand crafting mod.

I have been using this for a few play sessions now and It seems to be working really well no issues.
I do have a request, would there be any chance for electric version ? I know the first assembly machine is quite capable of making everything it can but the 2x2 size is just so handy.
certainly functionally it should stay the same just run on electricity.

sgt_cookie
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by sgt_cookie »

This is a great idea for a mod! Testing it now! :D

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

666JTK666 wrote:I love the idea of this mod, will dload and try it out asap, seems like this would be a terrific add-on to a no hand crafting mod.

I have been using this for a few play sessions now and It seems to be working really well no issues.
I do have a request, would there be any chance for electric version ? I know the first assembly machine is quite capable of making everything it can but the 2x2 size is just so handy.
certainly functionally it should stay the same just run on electricity.

Heyo, Request fulfilled, great idea!

I've uploaded 'Steel manufacturing unit' it is the same speed as a lvl 3 assembling machine, requires research and is slightly late game, and can hold 3 modules!

Enjoy :]

LordSkaven
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [0.12.x] Manufacturing Units

Post by LordSkaven »

Hello,

I encountered an error with the steel manufacturing unit, the path to the death animation was wrong.

I fixed it, and the attached zip contains the fixed version

LordSkaven
Attachments
steel_manufacturing_unit_0.1.3.zip
Fixed animation path
(215.99 KiB) Downloaded 245 times

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

LordSkaven wrote:Hello,

I encountered an error with the steel manufacturing unit, the path to the death animation was wrong.

I fixed it, and the attached zip contains the fixed version

LordSkaven
Hey, I looked over your version and i can't find a single change in the files, also i didn't encounter an error with the death animation, and destroying the entity in game doesn't result in any error for me.

Can you highlight what changes you made?

Dawnzy
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Dawnzy »

Error File__steel_manufacturing_unit_/graphics/entity/SMUheat.png not found.

checked in the zip file, graphics folder contains a SMUHeat .. capitalization is evil :twisted:

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Dawnzy wrote:Error File__steel_manufacturing_unit_/graphics/entity/SMUheat.png not found.

checked in the zip file, graphics folder contains a SMUHeat .. capitalization is evil :twisted:
Ahh right, my bad, didn't cause an issue since i wasn't testing with the .zip version!

OP has been updated.

Also, I have renamed the "Small Manufacturing Unit" the original mod of this post, to the "Burner Manufacturing unit", I don't recommend updating if you have the old Small manufacturing unit, because you will have all the old ones removed, and will have to replace them all :[ Sorry.

The only other tweak other than the name is the pollution value has been reduced.

sgt_cookie
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by sgt_cookie »

Do you think you could make a Green Science version of the Burner Manufacturing Unit that makes two-item things? In my head, these would make for an excellent low power, albeit not low pollution, way to help keep outposts protected. Craft some AP ammo in an Advanced Burner Manufacturing Unit and have it all be delivered via Burner Inserters. That way, the outpost is protected, and the power is being used for the actual purpose of mining stuff.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

sgt_cookie wrote:Do you think you could make a Green Science version of the Burner Manufacturing Unit that makes two-item things? In my head, these would make for an excellent low power, albeit not low pollution, way to help keep outposts protected. Craft some AP ammo in an Advanced Burner Manufacturing Unit and have it all be delivered via Burner Inserters. That way, the outpost is protected, and the power is being used for the actual purpose of mining stuff.
Im not sure, that seems awfully close to just an assembling machine, i actually used a burner assembly machine mod as the base for this, and it might suit your needs perfectly: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 93&t=13952

Zeeth_Kyrah
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Manufacturing Units

Post by Zeeth_Kyrah »

Okay, just to double check: If I want both the burner manufacturing unit and the steel manufacturing unit, do I have to download two files, or are they both included in the most recent file?
Planned projects: Energy Crystals Plus, Minor Fluid Handling, Small electric furnaces
(high-energy materials and assembler, fluid void burner and small tank, tiny and slow furnaces with charcoal)

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Zeeth_Kyrah wrote:Okay, just to double check: If I want both the burner manufacturing unit and the steel manufacturing unit, do I have to download two files, or are they both included in the most recent file?
They're provided as separate mod files, if you want to use both you will need to download both of them :]

HoraZ86
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by HoraZ86 »

Hello guy,
yesterday i tried to use your mod, and i think i found a bug, or misunderstood the use of it.
i placed one manufacturing units, and in it tells in its discription that i have to insert two units of raw irron, to melt one iron gear,
put if i select the iron gear the machine demands 2 iron plats.

i thought the use of those machines is, that i can skip a step in every kind of basic crafting, or did i got i wrong?

Im currently playing in version 0.12.8

greetings HZ86

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

HoraZ86 wrote:Hello guy,
yesterday i tried to use your mod, and i think i found a bug, or misunderstood the use of it.
i placed one manufacturing units, and in it tells in its discription that i have to insert two units of raw irron, to melt one iron gear,
put if i select the iron gear the machine demands 2 iron plats.

i thought the use of those machines is, that i can skip a step in every kind of basic crafting, or did i got i wrong?

Im currently playing in version 0.12.8

greetings HZ86
Sorry i think you've misunderstood,

The manufacturing unit is like an assembly machine, but it can only work recipes with 1 ingredient. It can also use furnace recipes too.

So it is good for early automation, and compact designs with the steel one late game, but it doesn't remove and processing steps that would normally be required.

I use it myself the burner on in the early game to make gear, pipe, chests, ammo, copper cable and other things. Later game its also good for making really tight builds for things like engines, electronic circuits etc.

Ohz
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ohz »

That's a very cool mod for a marathon game, and these tiny assembler are so cute <3

Thanks man !

I'm not english, sorry for my mistakes

Wakaba-chan
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Wakaba-chan »

Hello,

I was interested in your mod. But when I tried to start new game, it show this error:
error message
All settings are standart.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Wakaba-chan wrote:Hello,

I was interested in your mod. But when I tried to start new game, it show this error:
error message
This isn't this mod

Wakaba-chan
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Wakaba-chan »

Klonan wrote:
Wakaba-chan wrote:Hello,

error message
This isn't this mod
Oops, sorry, you right.

Return to “Mods”