Release: 17-Jul-2015
Tested-With-Factorio-Version: 0.12.0
Category: SimpleExtension
Tags: Energy
Website: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=13381
Download-Url:
LongElectricBoiler_0.12.11.zip
LongElectricBoiler_0.11.3.zip
*Note: Please download version 0.12.11 for Factorio 0.12.11 and later, 0.12.3 for Factorio 0.12.x, and 0.11.3 for Factorio 0.11.x
*Note: The energy priority seems a bit out-of-whack right now, so this mod isn't all that useful.
License
Long description
Pictures
More screenshots: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 381#p90191
Version history
Full changelog: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 381#p90192 (and in changelog.txt within the mod itself).
TODO
Previous Releases
Last edited by johanwanderer on Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:27 am, edited 7 times in total.

johanwanderer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [0.11.x] Electric boiler

Post by johanwanderer »

Screenshots...
Note: 1 tank seems to be able to supply about 5 steam engines through the night, so the 4-tanks setup below should be able to handle the full 2 sets of 10 steam engines (20 total).
20150716-02-heating.png
20150716-01-electric-boiler.png
Here you can see the factory being run at night (mostly) from solar energy stored as hot water. It is currently running 200 steam engines (300 electric boilers) producing a bit over 100 MW at night. At dawn, you can see the accumulators kicking in just for a moment. The gradual changes in the graph are due to me adding additional sets of boilers / engines to prevent the accumulators from firing. Also, there are an extra 80 steam engines that are not running (I use them to burn off excess wood and coal) so the 280 is slightly misleading.

Please note that the numbers here are averages. The 5s numbers are much higher for both categories. Obviously this still needs tweaking, because the boilers are no where near the 90% efficiency I wanted.
20150716-01-electric-boiler.png
Last edited by johanwanderer on Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:04 pm, edited 6 times in total.

johanwanderer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by johanwanderer »

Change log:
===========
- Version 0.11.1: Initial version based on regular pump/boiler.

- Version 0.11.2: Simplify everything. Remove pumping code since the entity is already a pump.

- Version 0.11.3: Fix a nasty bug because we incorrectly use table.remove()
Last edited by johanwanderer on Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kiba »

License?

johanwanderer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by johanwanderer »

kiba wrote:License?
MIT. lisence.txt is inside the mod itself.

kiba
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kiba »

johanwanderer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by johanwanderer »

kiba wrote:Added your mod to wiki page. https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... _made_mods
Thank you very much!

geech6
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by geech6 »

Can you explain what this mod does? I've been playing around with it and I thought it was a boiler (possibly with an accumulator built in?) that runs on electricity when your solar power can't keep up, but my electric boilers keep flickering on and off and won't heat up water.

I'm not sure if it's bug or not, but when I hook up a tank to one of the electric boilers the water doesn't increase in the tank.

I think I'm just doing something wrong and don't understand how this mod works properly.

Edit: I think I got it, you need to have enough solar power to handle everything before your boilers will get power... I think? I think I'm still missing something.

johanwanderer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by johanwanderer »

geech6 wrote:Can you explain what this mod does? I've been playing around with it and I thought it was a boiler (possibly with an accumulator built in?) that runs on electricity when your solar power can't keep up, but my electric boilers keep flickering on and off and won't heat up water.

I'm not sure if it's bug or not, but when I hook up a tank to one of the electric boilers the water doesn't increase in the tank.

I think I'm just doing something wrong and don't understand how this mod works properly.

Edit: I think I got it, you need to have enough solar power to handle everything before your boilers will get power... I think? I think I'm still missing something.
I'm still working on it, but the gist is that it takes a lot of electric power to heat water. In my test, 4 boilers managed to heat the water up to 70 Celsius or so, but when the steam engine starts running, the boilers couldn't keep up.

There are no accumulators in the boiler. It's supposed to work like this:

Code: Select all

power grid ->  electric boilers -> hot water storage -> steam engine -> power grid
  1. During the day, the boilers use the grid electricity to heat water, which is stored in the hot water storage (steam engines are not running because solar power is primary)
  2. At night, or when solar power is insufficient, the steam engines will draw from the hot water to add electricity to the grid.
Basically, the whole setup allows you to convert your pre-solar power generation into a giant pollution-free accumulator. But I still have to tweak the water heating code a bit before that is practical.

Alekthefirst
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Alekthefirst »

so if i get it right, this can be used to replace accumulators?
Factorio is a game about automating everything. One day, i hope i can automate shitty signatures just like this one.

johanwanderer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by johanwanderer »

Alekthefirst wrote:so if i get it right, this can be used to replace accumulators?
Yes, it can, but I haven't played enough with it to see how it work out in large scale. In my current game, I have something like 30 GJ stored in accumulators. It'll take a while for me to remove them all :) Actually, I plan to just add enough electric boilers to never have to drain the accumulators, which shouldn't be too hard.

johanwanderer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by johanwanderer »

Uploaded version 0.11.2 last night: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=13381

More screenshots: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 381#p90191
Changelog: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 381#p90192 (and in changelog.txt within the mod itself).

GotLag
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GotLag »

Can you please clarify something for me? I'm having trouble working out from your screenshots if the steam engines end up powering the boilers (even if they're at a lower priority than everything else), or do they not power them at all, in which case how is this achieved? Seems like the engines should waste a lot of energy attempting to be a perpetual motion machine.

Alekthefirst
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Alekthefirst »

GotLag wrote:Can you please clarify something for me? I'm having trouble working out from your screenshots if the steam engines end up powering the boilers (even if they're at a lower priority than everything else), or do they not power them at all, in which case how is this achieved? Seems like the engines should waste a lot of energy attempting to be a perpetual motion machine.
If i understand correctly, then the electric boilers will only ever draw power from the surplus of solar panels
Factorio is a game about automating everything. One day, i hope i can automate shitty signatures just like this one.

johanwanderer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by johanwanderer »

Alekthefirst wrote:
GotLag wrote:Can you please clarify something for me? I'm having trouble working out from your screenshots if the steam engines end up powering the boilers (even if they're at a lower priority than everything else), or do they not power them at all, in which case how is this achieved? Seems like the engines should waste a lot of energy attempting to be a perpetual motion machine.
If i understand correctly, then the electric boilers will only ever draw power from the surplus of solar panels
That is correct, because the boiler have the lowest priority, they will only run when the steam engines have cut off. In reality, there is a brief period at each end of the cycle where both boilers and steam engines do run, wasting energy.

I uploaded a new screenshot to the second post:

Here you can see the factory being run at night (mostly) from solar energy stored as hot water. It is currently running 200 steam engines (300 electric boilers) producing a bit over 100 MW at night. At dawn, you can see the accumulators kicking in just for a moment. The gradual changes in the graph are due to me adding additional sets of boilers / engines to prevent the accumulators from firing. Also, there are an extra 80 steam engines that are not running (I use them to burn off excess wood and coal) so the 280 is slightly misleading.

Please note that the numbers here are averages. The 5s numbers are much higher for both categories. Obviously this still needs tweaking, because the boilers are no where near the 90% efficiency I wanted.

johanwanderer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by johanwanderer »

Uploaded version 0.11.3: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=13381

- Version 0.11.3: Fix a nasty bug because we incorrectly use table.remove()

johanwanderer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [0.12.x] Electric boiler

Post by johanwanderer »

Uploaded version 0.12.3 for Factorio 0.12. Please continue to use version 0.11.3 for Factorio 0.11.x.
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=13381

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [0.12.x] Electric boiler

Post by Koub »

[Moved to Mods for 0.12 ‹ New Items, Entities, Extensions (0.12) by Koub]
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Vuk Farkas
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Electric boiler

Post by Vuk Farkas »

Idk why but your boilers seem to chaotically raise and lower temperature of water that's in them and that passed them (including the ones in pipes and generators) now in ideal conditions i can use a storage tank to balance it out to 95 degrees, but then my generators dont run on maxium when needed. Is there a way ya could stabilise the temperature to be as stable like in the burner boilers? or do i need to route all water into a storage tank first, then let it throu a burner boiler to raise the temp to max and stable; was that intended? or do a mixed combo of el. boiler+tank+el. boiler+tank?

johanwanderer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.12.x] Electric boiler

Post by johanwanderer »

Vuk Farkas wrote:Idk why but your boilers seem to chaotically raise and lower temperature of water that's in them and that passed them (including the ones in pipes and generators) now in ideal conditions i can use a storage tank to balance it out to 95 degrees, but then my generators dont run on maxium when needed. Is there a way ya could stabilise the temperature to be as stable like in the burner boilers? or do i need to route all water into a storage tank first, then let it throu a burner boiler to raise the temp to max and stable; was that intended? or do a mixed combo of el. boiler+tank+el. boiler+tank?
There was a change somewhere when Factorio was upgraded, and it changes the way the electrical priorities work. I'm not sure if I can keep the electric boilers working without doing more work to separate the two grids.

Return to “Mods”