The Hydra Dilemma - A Coop Factorio Playthrough!

Post about Let's plays and streams.
Junion
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: The Hydra Dilemma - A Coop Factorio Playthrough!

Post by Junion »

Hey I fully expected this sort of stuff when I first started watching the series. Heck I expected it to get much worse, having seen similar ideas done in other games (anyone overly familiar with Dwarf Fortress know what I'm talking about).

I'm honestly just suggesting what I feel may be a good idea...spend an episode to just pour over the base and fix any issues one may see. Let that be a goal of the episode, to just fix the base up a little bit, it'd prob feel useless to whoever did it, but I think it'd help a great deal. On the other hand, -root is mentioning something special will be happening soon, which may negate all need for this anyway.

_aD
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by _aD »

ible wrote:The second spoiler in JoshLittle's post is a great example of constructive feedback.
Infectum, I highly recommend you review the combat footage while reading through his analysis.
...if you were in the army as some sort of strategist.. Since it's just a game you'll just get better at it naturally.

_aD
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by _aD »

ible wrote:A better way to understand the base is to load up the save game from the last episode a player submitted.
Spend maybe 30 minutes just understanding where resources are going and where manufactured goods come from.
Or just play exactly as they have been playing, enjoying the challenge and the foibles of their folly, and entertain us all in the process. You folks do realise this isn't an exam, right?

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

And just to kill the idea, last time I played we were nowhere near rocket defense. Unless the boys have managed to smash out a ton of progress, I don't believe we're there yet. Its something else.

Junion
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Junion »

Bah! You shoulda let me disapoint myself! :D

Nah, I just figure you are saying something special is comming up..which might negate what i'm saying one way or another heh.

FKODgaming
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by FKODgaming »

The last episode is here! http://youtu.be/M_CahHaxHm0

I FINALLY GOT ROCKET DEFENSE!!

Ok, not really.... but you should watch anyway..

Junion
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Junion »

Because I feel like dropping my comments here instead of on the youtube video. I'll try to spoiler things as necessary.

Thank you for figuring out if you don't know where something is, you might be able to just request it from the system :D. It was a bit frustrating when you couldn't directly find
railroad tracks
especially as your mouse hovered over them a couple of times..but I understand it can be hard to spot in that sea of mess. My first base is about as bad and the only reason i can find stuff sometimes is because i know the general area its in, even then I still miss stuff (first base..a lot of build mistakes, seriously even though I have rocket defense with it, its tempting to send it to -roots fixit..just because I'm curious what he'd do with it, and if he actually could give good improvements without just using logistics to clear EVERYTHING and rebuild from scratch :P, it honestly looks about as bad as the hydra base)

With that said, the good, the bad, the ugly. Time for the spoiler block cause seriously.
This got big
Overall a slow, but somewhat interesting episode. You spent a lot of time running back to base to get supplies, which was a bit slowing..but I suppose I just overkill stocking up on my side.

A general note for everyone...it might be a good idea to think about driving a car more often...if you trust yourself not to crash it, when doing stuff outside the base :).

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

FKODgaming wrote:The last episode is here! http://youtu.be/M_CahHaxHm0

I FINALLY GOT ROCKET DEFENSE!!

Ok, not really.... but you should watch anyway..
Excellent. My turn tonight!

FKODgaming
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by FKODgaming »

Junion wrote:Because I feel like dropping my comments here instead of on the youtube video. I'll try to spoiler things as necessary.

Thanks for the feedback. All were very good points, and gave me a lot to think about for next time.
The car Idea was brilliant, I really should have thought about that on my own, and I'm not sure why I didn't. I had one of those 'light-bulb' moments as i read it, and literally smacked my head.
The main reason I didn't just use a pipeline was because we already had the train station in place and somewhat setup for unloading oil barrels, so I figured it would be just as easy to add to the current system.
I completely missed the opportunity to upgrade the stone furnaces. Hopefully someone will catch that, if not, I'll make a mental note to do that in my next episode.
Thanks again for the input. I think I definitely need to take some time and figure out
exactly how to do trains correctly
, so I don't potentially mess things up in the future, haha.

Junion
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Junion »

He he I think the car thing can be left unspoilered, it'd help everyone to a degree.

Honestly I need to play around with the car more myself...I have ideas but no idea if they'd work. I wonder if its possible to use an inserter on a car or not. I'd love to be able to load a car full of goodies with automation, take it to an outpost, unload, set things up, then grab the car and head back, with an inserter auto unloading it back to an active chest (for return to storage).

But I havn't even tried that yet...

JoshLittle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by JoshLittle »

you expect root to build
trains
? :lol:
That thing
If your belt feels too long, your wall is just too short :mrgreen:

DerivePi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DerivePi »

Junion wrote: I wonder if its possible to use an inserter on a car or not.
Yes, cars can have inserters operate on them. As for -Root and unfinished train stations, his "track" record isn't that good (groan here). Maybe he can lay the pipe right next to the train line.

Since everything is ready, I'd like to see some more alien artifact gathering (as an aside, aren't we the alien in this setting?). Although, someone should Factoriolize the production of cars. These guys will need a lot more cars to clear out the rest of the trees!

Just remember poison (the green circle thingy) for the worms. Also note, you can poison worms without coming into range of them. Just shoot short and the area of effect will hit them. Launch three and run.

MithrandirBooga
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by MithrandirBooga »

Junion wrote: A general note for everyone...it might be a good idea to think about driving a car more often...if you trust yourself not to crash it, when doing stuff outside the base :).
Screw that. 2 Fusion Reactors and 5 Exoskeletons is where it's at. :D

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

JoshLittle wrote:you expect root to build
trains
Having just played last night, I'll let you in on a little clue: Watch here for my thoughts

FKODgaming
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by FKODgaming »

-root wrote:
JoshLittle wrote:you expect root to build
trains
Having just played last night, I'll let you in on a little clue: Watch here for my thoughts

Well Played, Sir

Infectum13
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Infectum13 »

JoshLittle wrote:Oh infectum. That kind of episode where it is not possible without a bit of blaming ;)
(And for those who hate long spoilers: I think it is needed here.)

.....I feel like I'm going to have to print all this out at work.

Infectum13
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Infectum13 »

Xterminator wrote:
HeilTec wrote:
Boogieman14 wrote:... there appears to be a pretty strong SEP field in this coop :)
Procrastination.png
This clearly explains the SEP effect in this series, since past, present and future 'me' are three different persons.
Ahaha so true! Love that post mate. :D
As for Infectum's fighting, I think Josh Little's second spoiler was really good, that is some good constructive criticism, rather than just insults. :)
But Infectum if you read this, don't feel too bad about being bad at combat right now. Everyone started out being bad when they first started, and I mean I can't count the number of times I completely failed at trying to kill a base. Hell anyone who watched my last several videos in this series knows I died like 3 or 4 times trying to kill a base. :p
The biters are just pissing me off at this point...

JoshLittle
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by JoshLittle »

Oh root. That is more a prank against me. Such a good idea for a prank and after you waited over 50 episodes you fuck it up like this? 6 in each direction? At the lake you could have 15-20 in two directions and the wtf-moment because of the
disappearing of a logistic network
. Man, that's lame. Go play normal episodes, pranks are not your thing.

(Don't take it too seriously, but... you really fucked it up! :P ;) )
If your belt feels too long, your wall is just too short :mrgreen:

DerivePi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DerivePi »

I guess this is a moment where 2 deconstruction plans would come in handy.

Return to “Videos”