[0.11.12-14 MacOS] Random spinning pinnwheel

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [0.11.12-14 MacOS] Random spinning pinnwheel

Post by ssilk »

vlczero wrote:MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)
Mac OSX 10.10.4
2,3 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB & NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2 GB GDDR5

When starting Factorio i sometimes get a Spinning pinwheel the input becomes non responsive but the game loads up. I then have to force quit Factorio because i cannot press any button in the main menu.
I have been having this problem since version 0.10 i believe. It does not bother me that much but it is still a little bit annoying.

Maybe it has something to do with the switching of the graphics card from in-cpu to dedicated, when Factorio starts the NVIDIA card is turned on.
I know this is hard to reproduce so if you need any other information let me know and i will be happy to supply it.
Update: I changed the title of this bug report, because it shows more clearly what happens.
The random spinning pinnwheel is still in 0.12.6. - for me currently about every 5th startup and especially after updating to new version.
... so it is not really a problem, but newbies, that manage to start it up 2 times with this error might think something is corrupt with the game.

I've a Macbook Pro, 14", 2014, MacOS 10.10.5, with 16 GiB RAM.

I can exactly see, when the bug happens: When the white screen at startup takes a bit longer than normal the chance for this spinning pinwheel is about 90%.

Maybe this helps: I also tried today what Kovarex explained in https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... =7&t=14282
I go down to 2048 but the spnning wheel happens with the same possibility as without reduction. So it doesn't seem to be something with the video-ram. I think the idea of vlczero, that it has something to do with the switching of the graphics card is worth a deeper view.

I think something might not properly initialized; for example when Factorio is started, I cannot play videos without stuttering.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Good news: I was not able to reproduce this bug with 0.12.16 any more. Somewhere with 0.12.14, .15 or .16 this seems to be fixed. (If there are interests I can test it out, which version.)

I tried to reproduce it in a row with about 50 restarts of the game, none give this bug anymore. I tried about 10 ugly scenarios, for example tried to run it twice, killed processes while starting new, sleep the computer, run 12 instances at the same time and tried to start new (my poor macbook) other nasty things. In the end I wrote me a small script, that does this heavy restarting automatic.

This is now ssilk-stable™ (cause I'm the guy which normally brings every software to fail).

Congratulations. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

ssilk wrote:Good news: I was not able to reproduce this bug with 0.12.16 any more. Somewhere with 0.12.14, .15 or .16 this seems to be fixed. (If there are interests I can test it out, which version.)

I tried to reproduce it in a row with about 50 restarts of the game, none give this bug anymore. I tried about 10 ugly scenarios, for example tried to run it twice, killed processes while starting new, sleep the computer, run 12 instances at the same time and tried to start new (my poor macbook) other nasty things. In the end I wrote me a small script, that does this heavy restarting automatic.

This is now ssilk-stable™ (cause I'm the guy which normally brings every software to fail).

Congratulations. :)
Great news!

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”