[0.11.15] Factorio has stopped working

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
dee-
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[0.11.15] Factorio has stopped working

Post by dee- »

Edit: as 0.11.15 is also affected (see this post) I changed the topic's name.

--------

Original post:

In relation to this thread I hereby present you the mentioned crash :mrgreen:

The Factorio process "has stopped working".
factorio-previous.log
factorio-current.log
Notice there has no stacktrace been created in the logs eventhough .14 ought to.

Edit: I renamed the thread as the process dialog says "has stopped working" and not "not responding".
Last edited by dee- on Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:40 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.11.14] Stopped Responding

Post by Rseding91 »

If you could post the save game (and mods if any) along with the steps to reproduce the crash that would be great.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

dee-
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dee- »

Rseding91 wrote:If you could post the save game (and mods if any) along with the steps to reproduce the crash that would be great.
0.11.14 without mods.

I uploaded a savegame here.

Choumiko
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Choumiko »

have you tried using the zip version? I'm also using win7 64, amd phenom II x6, 8gb ddr3 and the same ssd, partioned for os and games too (that's a little bit scary?! :D ) The only crashes i get are due to me messing up when modding

Edit: Loading your save works fine, autosave works too

dee-
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dee- »

Dude. Are you looking over my shoulder right here? .... :shock:

I installed .13 the normal way with the installer.
The download for the .14 installer was very slow and the .14 zip file was much earlier on my desktop. So I just took this one and pasted it over the installation folder, squarely overwriting the old files.

I have this "stopped responding" since, uhm, I think .12, as I'm still a totally fresh newcomer to Factorio. Then came .13 and .14 but the problem persisted.
I was looking forward to the stacktrace but it's not in the log so I hope I can help the devs in a different way nailing this one down.

;)

Yeah, loading and autosaving usually works for me, too. It doesn't happen regulary, sometimes every 5 minutes, sometimes after two hours of play. Maybe it's my system or hardware but this is the first time something breaks on it. It's however possible as Factorio is quite taxing the CPU and uses large amounts of RAM :?

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.11.14] Factorio stopped Responding

Post by kovarex »

Hmm, I couldn't reproduce it, but the main strange thing is, that the stacktrace was not generated.

I made some research, and it seems there is much more handling required to catch all the internal errors, I made some additions.

If it works correctly in the next version, the user should get message saying:
Unexpected error occurred. You can help us to solve the problem by posting the contents of the log file on the Factorio forums.
I hope it works, all I can say now is, let's wait for 0.11.15 :(

dee-
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dee- »

kovarex wrote:Hmm, I couldn't reproduce it, but the main strange thing is, that the stacktrace was not generated.

I made some research, and it seems there is much more handling required to catch all the internal errors, I made some additions.

If it works correctly in the next version, the user should get message saying:
Unexpected error occurred. You can help us to solve the problem by posting the contents of the log file on the Factorio forums.
I hope it works, all I can say now is, let's wait for 0.11.15 :(
Hey thanks. If you want I can pre-test the new stacktrace functionality so it might be possible to have the problem already fixed for .15

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Ok, good idea.

You can download http://www.kovarex.com/download/Factorio-experiment.exe

Just put it into your factorio bin folder next to Factorio.exe and run it.

dee-
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.11.14] Factorio has stopped working

Post by dee- »

Here's the result with the experimental build "Factorio 0.11.15 (Build 13246, win64)":

factorio-current.log
Additionally here are my CPU/GPU temperatures:
CPU 43°C
GPU 39°C

rorror
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by rorror »

What triggers your bug?

dee-
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dee- »

I have no idea. I suspect autosave but I'm not sure as it also crashes when autosave is disabled, although not as fast as with autosafe on. *shrugs*

rorror
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by rorror »

happens also in a new game? or only in your save game?

i was asking because of https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=7&t=8433

But you not rezising the factorio windows? or move? switch to windows back and fourth.

dee-
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dee- »

Yes, I have seen that thread and no, I did not resize the window.
After starting the game I doubleclick at the window title to maximize the frame and then leave it that way.

And I don't plan to start a new game as long as the bug is not found. It's a rare opportunity to harden the code ;)

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Ok, so the stack trace didn't work properly because I messed it up (I naivly didn't put the debug information file ..)

Anyways, I made several fixes, and it should work properly (the reporting of the bug, the bug will not be solved properly) for 0.11.15 that is going to be released today.

If you could try to reproduce it in the 0.11.15 and give me the log file again it would be great. Sorry for the trouble, but this method will make the bug reporting much easier in the future.

dee-
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dee- »

Hey, no problem. Logs are bread-and-butter.

dee-
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dee- »

Well, I'm sorry for the drag, but it will take two more releases to see the crash :(

The current update uses the old binary, so it doesn't work properly
When testing it today, I realised, that the debug information isn't properly prepared when the updating binary (the one that crashes) is used, I fixed it for the next verison 0.11.16
But it means, that the first time where it will be applied properly is 0.11.16 -> 0.11.17 update :)
Anyway, here you go:

I uninstalled the previously installed Factorio version, found and deleted any leftovers and used the x64-zip-standalone-package.

Factorio 0.11.15 (Build 13276, win64)

factorio-current.log

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.11.15] Factorio has stopped working

Post by kovarex »

Well, the stacktrace isn't helpful in this case, I'm trying to get some recapitulation.

Does it crash when you have autosave off?
Does it crash randomly when you play the game, or every time when you load the game.
Could you reupload the save? (It is not available now).
Does it crash when you play a new game?

2 of the bugs I recently fixed for 0.11.16 could be theoretically related, one is possible crash when autosaving, and other was the usage of 0X0 bitmaps (related to accumulator discharged animation, one of the frames was empty and the engine cropped the bitmap to 0X0).

So there is some slight chance, that it will work properly on 0.11.16, also could you specify your hardware specs?

dee-
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dee- »

kovarex wrote:Well, the stacktrace isn't helpful in this case, I'm trying to get some recapitulation.

Does it crash when you have autosave off?
Yesterday I left it running with the factory producting many different items for storage, trains running around, drones flying.
It did not crash and ran along but it had nearly no user-input from me... because I was watching a movie. :mrgreen:
kovarex wrote:Does it crash randomly when you play the game, or every time when you load the game.
While playing, never while loading.
kovarex wrote:Could you reupload the save? (It is not available now).
Ah, I deleted it just yesterday morning. I restored it.
kovarex wrote:Does it crash when you play a new game?
I haven't started a new game.
kovarex wrote:2 of the bugs I recently fixed for 0.11.16 could be theoretically related, one is possible crash when autosaving, and other was the usage of 0X0 bitmaps (related to accumulator discharged animation, one of the frames was empty and the engine cropped the bitmap to 0X0).

So there is some slight chance, that it will work properly on 0.11.16, also could you specify your hardware specs?
link

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

There is very real chance that this is related to other bug I fixed for 0.11.16 (the stacktrace looks like it could be the cause).

So I'm moving it to resolved for the next release. If it ever crashes again in 0.11.16 this way, please let me know.

dee-
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by dee- »

Not resolved

It is still crashing in 0.11.21 with, as far as I can see, the exact same reason:
Log
:(

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”