[0.12.7] Dead biters

Bugs that are actually features.
TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

[0.12.7] Dead biters

Post by TheSAguy »

This is not new to version 0.12.7.

Why do biters die far away from your base, in unexplored areas?

This causes a lot of loot drops for mods like mine that adds small alien artifact drops to corpses.

Here is an example
http://imgur.com/jp9HsHh

I think it might be a pathfinder thing - if they fail to path they are killed?
Do they die from old age? :mrgreen:

Is there a way to prevent loot drops from these biters that just die?

Thanks.

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Re: [0.12.7] Dead biters

Post by Oxyd »

Not a bug: They die when pathfinding takes too long. This is so that they don't request another path agian and again, completely hogging it for long periods of time (since it probably took too long for some reason that still persists).

TheSAguy
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by TheSAguy »

Oxyd wrote:Not a bug: They die when pathfinding takes too long. This is so that they don't request another path agian and again, completely hogging it for long periods of time (since it probably took too long for some reason that still persists).
So is there any way around those loot drops?
Way to detect how it dies or prevent loot drop on path finding death?

Thanks.

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Oxyd »

TheSAguy wrote:
Oxyd wrote:Not a bug: They die when pathfinding takes too long. This is so that they don't request another path agian and again, completely hogging it for long periods of time (since it probably took too long for some reason that still persists).
So is there any way around those loot drops?
Way to detect how it dies or prevent loot drop on path finding death?

Thanks.
To my best knowledge, that's not possible, no. I'll look into it tomorrow, see if I can add something to let mods know the cause of death.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Would it be possible to make pathfinder destroy them instead of using die on them?
If I understand wiki correctly it would make them leave no loot. And wouldn't attribute the kill to any force. Both seem recommended in that case since they are dying for lets say "performance reasons".

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Oxyd »

orzelek wrote:Would it be possible to make pathfinder destroy them instead of using die on them?
If I understand wiki correctly it would make them leave no loot. And wouldn't attribute the kill to any force. Both seem recommended in that case since they are dying for lets say "performance reasons".
That actually sounds like the way to go.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by kovarex »

Oxyd wrote:
orzelek wrote:Would it be possible to make pathfinder destroy them instead of using die on them?
That actually sounds like the way to go.
Yes, do it this way please.

Return to “Not a bug”