Thoughts on water as a finite resource

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

orost
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Thoughts on water as a finite resource

Post by orost »

Do you know what's the one thing that bugs me about Factorio the most? Water. Water is incredibly important in industry, but it's almost completely absent from the gameplay. You put up a pump and that's it. I've been thinking about what could be done to make water an important part of the game that intertwines with many other aspects. Here are some ideas. Sorry for disrespecting rule 1: one idea per thread, but none of these work without the others, so they should be discussed as one.

TL;DR: Water is finite. Making power takes cold water and produces hot waste water. Biters live in the lakes and draining the lakes or dumping hot water back into them pisses them off.

1. Water as a finite resource

Lakes now have capacity, dependent on their area. Drawing water from them via pumps draws from this capacity. Water naturally regenerates at a rate proportional to the maximum. When the water level drops, the lake shrinks visually (it starts turning brown from the edges towards the center). The lower the water level, the faster the regeneration, so that for any given rate of drain the lake will reach an equillibrium. If the lake is emptied water cannot be drawn faster than the maximum rate of regeneration.

Bonus idea: lakes in deserts regenerate much slower.

Question: but if the water recedes from the shore, how will offshore pumps keep working?
Answer: make the offshore pump spawn a small pipe that goes to the deepest part of the lake, so it's always connected.

2. More use for water

Water being limited only matters if you have a use for a lot of it.

Idea: Make power generation require lots of water.

Boilers now produce "steam". It still behaves like a liquid, because it really doesn't matter.
Steam engines have two inputs and one output. They take steam and cooling water and output hot water. The colder the cooling water, the more power they produce. The hot water needs to be dumped.

Having a large power plant now means you need to draw lots of cold water and find a place for lots of hot water. Adds another dimension to power production, which I think is far too simple right now.

3. Heat pollution

We have hot water and we need to do something with it.

Hot water can be simply dumped back into a lake. This causes heat pollution. It behaves exacly like the current pollution, but spreads through water. A water pump on a poluted lake will produce water warmer than the default 15 degrees, proportionally to the severity of pollution.

So you can:
  • Dump the hot wastewater into the same lake as you took it from. You keep the water level high, but you heat it up, reducing the efficiency of your power plant.
  • Dump it into the same lake, but pipe it further away. You reduce the power loss, but you need to make long and vulnerable piping. Why "vulnerable" - see section 4.
  • Dump it into another lake. This will cause a drop in the water level of the first lake, but you lose no efficiency.
Additional idea: new building, cooling tower. Expensive, big, late-game, cools down water. You can then dump it without causing pollution, or even pipe it back into your system in a closed loop (think building a power plant away from water by bringing in the water and then recycling it!)

4. New enemies - more reasons to avoid draning water and pollution

There are aquatic biter nests in the water. The biters come out and attack when the dropping water level exposes their nest, or when they're hit by heat pollution. This is analogous to the already existing mechanic of pollution baiting biters. The deeper the nest, the stronger the biters, so that the more water you draw the more you have to deal with attacks.

To sum up: water is now a valuable, limited resource, there is an important use to it, and there's a challenge to obtaning it. I think it makes things a lot more interesting.

It doesn't change much in the early game - you only need a second pump and a bit more pipe; you won't be using enough water to create an issue. So no problem for newbies. But in the late game, it can have major consequences.

Bonus idea: this provides an opportunity to implement nuclear power in an interesting way. A nuclear reactor will probably be just a burner that runs on refined uranium, which is not very interesting, but let's make it require huge amounts of cooling water. This makes choosing a proper location for a nuclear power plant very important, and creates a significant drawback (you need lots of cooling towers or you'll have lots of pissed off biters). And it's even realistic.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Thoughts on water as a finite resource

Post by ssilk »

ßilkbot says:

"water resource":
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=6&t=3778
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=6&t=3255
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... ?f=6&t=262

"water limited":
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=6&t=7704
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=6&t=2037

"water finite":
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... ite#p18009
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... ite#p15694

My personal thoughts: The forum members think, that the current steam engines are just the simple versions; quite energy wasting, water wasting etc. It should be replaced by a closed circle water flow (after some research). So 1: Yes, 2: Might be the opposite! 3: Hmmmmmm. Nice idea, but not with water. 4: Yes. Enemies in the water.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

katyal
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by katyal »

I agree with ssilk across the board, but especially were hot water as pollution is concerned. My automatic reaction as i read your post was to think "why dump hot water if I'm burning coal to make cold water into steam? Feed the hot water back into the system and save some fuel"

silenced
Inserter
Inserter

Post by silenced »

'Water' finds it way back into nature by rain, it's not finite. So that approach is a bit far off. As usual.

hitzu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by hitzu »

silenced wrote:'Water' finds it way back into nature by rain, it's not finite. So that approach is a bit far off. As usual.
But the speed of consuming water could be higher than the speed of its resumption in the source reservoir.

orost
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by orost »

katyal wrote: My automatic reaction as i read your post was to think "why dump hot water if I'm burning coal to make cold water into steam? Feed the hot water back into the system and save some fuel"
You will produce much more hot water than boilers consume, of course. Doing that will help, but only a little.
silenced wrote:'Water' finds it way back into nature by rain, it's not finite. So that approach is a bit far off. As usual.
I write about lakes replenishing themselves in my post, which represents the natural water cycle. Thank you for your lovely condenscension.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”