World Names - New worlds have a (default) name

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

World Names - New worlds have a (default) name

Post by ssilk »

According to this suggestion: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=6&t=7035

I make a "counter" suggestion. :)

- When the world is generated it is assigned a default name. Like other train stations etc. but can be changed (later) of course.

- When the game is saved, the filename will follow this pattern: "[%ENCODED_WORLD_NAME%]_%XX%"
Where %ENCODED_WORLD_NAME% is of course the generated world name, but encoded, like that spaces are replaced with _, and other useful replacements. And %XX% is a number, beginning with 01 and if the save already exists it will add 1 until it finds a "free" name.

- When entering another filename for the save, the input-field for the filename doesn't allow to enter forbidden chars (gives a useful feedback).
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: World Names - New worlds have a (default) name

Post by MF- »

I tend to use this naming convention,
except that I append "+whats_new" to the string.
I sure wouldn't mind if that counter was auto-incrementing for me. :P

Using the lowest free number might not be the best idea,
since I usually delete minor checkpoints to reclaim space.
(Actually I would like to (ab)use the directory listing as a game diary. That would mean
immediately replacing the deleted save dir with an empty file, using the same filename)
Not sure if factorio allows that. My saves were small enough to be spared so far.

PS: I would probably opt for 3 digits instead of 2

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

I already had something like this idea, but didn't write about this. Every map should have a group. New saves will be sorted into the appropriate group. Your idea is quite similar. Too bad you did write it before I could do it. ^^

It's not a counter proposal. Even with this idea I would want more characters for save names.
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I think the aimed issue with this is "I want to save it. NOW. Don't want to type and argue with stupid wrong chars". This is important, cause otherwise it will distract quite much.

Having more chars available for filenames is eventually difficult, cause my issue with encoding is, that I want to find the right save, even if my world has the name "%%§())))*ÖÄ\)(&§'&/"....

So I suggest here also to differ "World Name" and "Filename".
- The world-name has no restrictions (or nearly none).
- The filename has some restrictions which are based on the restrictions off all possible filesystems.
- The world name can be changed before or during the game.
- The world-name should be displayed in the file-listing, when loading a game. It's just a simple file in the packed save (which might contain more game-relevant informations, like played time, players...).
- The filename is generated from the world-name, see above for some good rules. (Maybe a world-version is also useful, see -MF's suggestion above)

So this separates the filename from the world name. Which is good, cause when thinking more deeply about it, there is no reason to mix both together.

Nova
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Nova »

With your "idea" (in the other thread), this world name wouldn't even be possible, irregardless of not being able to find it. If you name your world like that, you should not be able to find it. Using an encoding is the only right choice. Restricting the user should only happen with a good reason. Finding the right file is no good reason (at least for me). The technical background of a game (saving files with a proper name) should not restrict the foreground (being able to use all character for saves).

Could please one of the developers speak a word to us? Kovarex? Cube? Please? :D
Greetings, Nova.
Factorio is one of the greatest games I ever played, with one of the best developers I ever heard of.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Well, in my opinion the world name has nothing to do with the filename. And normally the filename will look by default a "bit" like the world name. The point is, this is not connected, or better: There is a loose connection between them, and the player can use another scheme, if wanted.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”