Minimap preview in map generator

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

krux02
Inserter
Inserter

Minimap preview in map generator

Post by krux02 »

I would like to have a little preview window when I adjust the map generator. Just to be able to see if the map parameters are what I expect to have. It doesn't have to be the exact result since it's still a random generator, but something that I can get an impression before starting the game.

arl85
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Minimap preview in map generator

Post by arl85 »

Generator is not random, but pseudo-random. It means that given a fixed seed result will always be the same. This is at the base of the map exchange string system.

The biggest problem I found is that map is generated on the fly when you enter in a "new" unexplored zone, so the preview could only cover your starting zone.
Do you need help taking screenshots in-game? have a look to my guide to calculate screenshot dimensions

OBAMA MCLAMA
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by OBAMA MCLAMA »

I sure as hell hope the generation is fast enough to be able to generate even a 32x32 pixel map quickly ;)

I think this is very possible, but to make it in the game is probably not for a long time if its even considered. And if it is considered, its probably been for a long time ;)
When i stream twitch i always answer questions and try to help, come visit me.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I add here, that the preview generates a random part of 5x5 chunk sized map (160 tiles). This takes a while! Depends also on the used mods.
This piece of map is shown 5 seconds or so and then another random piece of map (from the same world) is generated.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”