Make trees more visible in map

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Make trees more visible in map

Post by sillyfly »

(Note: This has been suggested before here - https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... ble#p17544 , but as this is only one point in a -very- long thread not regarding this specific problem, and as I have seen no comment about the suggestion in that thread, I make this new suggestion, more explicitly)

I think everyone who played a bit understands this - trees are hard to walk through, and nigh impossible to drive through, so mostly you just try to avoid them, or blast them with grenades/shotgun.
For me, it is really hard to notice the trees in the map, so avoiding them becomes tedious and almost impossible.

Therefore I suggest making the trees more visible in the map and minimap (perhaps configurable?).

The Phoenixian
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Make trees more visible in map

Post by The Phoenixian »

Oh god yes.
The greatest gulf that we must leap is the gulf between each other's assumptions and conceptions. To argue fairly, we must reach consensus on the meanings and values of basic principles. -Thereisnosaurus

CreeperDaReeper
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by CreeperDaReeper »

The Phoenixian wrote:Oh god yes.
+1

Align
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Align »

+1 from me, too.
If the upcoming tank is able to mow through trees without damage it'll be worth crafting for that alone...

IOScream
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by IOScream »

+1 How would they be represented on the map?

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

IOScream wrote:+1 How would they be represented on the map?
Right now they are represented by dots or blocks of a slightly darker color than the surroundings, but it is almost invisible, even in the closest zooms.
I guess making the difference more pronounced would be a start, or maybe even making it a solid color (as opposed to the current semi-transparent overlay).

But if there are better suggestions that's even better, I suppose :)

Mangledpork
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Mangledpork »

+1 from me, I don't care if it's neon green or flashes purple as long as I can see it.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I think that should be some kind of layer, which I can switch on/off, like the pollution. Cause seeing forest on map is not useful, when you search for resources.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

The Phoenixian
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by The Phoenixian »

ssilk wrote:I think that should be some kind of layer, which I can switch on/off, like the pollution. Cause seeing forest on map is not useful, when you search for resources.
*raised eyebrow*

While knowing where trees are may not be useful in knowing where that coal vein is it's useful in most other common situations like navigation and predicting pollution flows.

Really it would just be simpler and better (for the player, though I don't know enough about the game's architecture to say for the designers) to have ore deposits and biter nests overlay on top of trees rather than the reverse as is the case now.
The greatest gulf that we must leap is the gulf between each other's assumptions and conceptions. To argue fairly, we must reach consensus on the meanings and values of basic principles. -Thereisnosaurus

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

One one hand you want to have them more visible, on the other not. Again: it depends on what I'm looking for. Sometimes I look for ores, sometimes on wood/forests, sometimes I want to see pollution, sometimes the electric network is my interest.
I wanna have layers. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

CreeperDaReeper
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by CreeperDaReeper »

ssilk wrote:One one hand you want to have them more visible, on the other not. Again: it depends on what I'm looking for. Sometimes I look for ores, sometimes on wood/forests, sometimes I want to see pollution, sometimes the electric network is my interest.
I wanna have layers. :)
+11

therapist
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Fix the Visibility of Trees on the Map.

Post by therapist »

joined -- ssilk

The color of trees on the game's map makes them nearly impossible to see when zoomed out. I would like to see either A. the colors changed a little for higher visibility or B. an alternative color mode on the map like the alt key makes except for trees and other objects important to base planning.

I have trying to plan where I should place my end game factories and the roads that will connect them but I don't want to just completely deforest an area. Currently I've been using a program like Paint+ to create "Planning Maps" like the one I have posted below. While this solution works well, it would be nice to have a sort of alternative color mode like this built into the game so I don't have to spend so much time out-of-game on planning for my factories and highways in-game.

Right-Click and select View Image if it doesn't fit your screen size correctly.

bulldog98
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by bulldog98 »

For me sometimes only a small amount of the map info matters, so I think having a legend where one can choose what to show would be even better.

Aardwolf
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Forst more visible on the map

Post by Aardwolf »

Hi,

I really need to squint and look at the right angle to my screen to see forest on the map.

Yet forest is so important for finding good vs bad paths to walk somewhere.

Colors of terrain types like desert and grass have almost no effect but those are visible on the map... in fact I often confused those colors for forest.

Could trees/forests be given a more distinct color on the map?

Thanks!

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Forst more visible on the map

Post by sillyfly »

Aardwolf
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Aardwolf »

+1 to more visible forest, seriously...

Aardwolf
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Aardwolf »

Ok I +1'd it. Also looks like I accidently posted this in the wrong forum, I intended to put it in suggestions but it's in gameplay help. Sorry.

Anyway, other thread is from 2014, so I assume they don't take this suggestion :(

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

To be honest - I don't know. As far as I can remember the developers never said anything about it, so they may still implement it.
I personally would like to see an option to enable/disable map layers.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged topics, because they are really one single topic indeed :).
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”