Mobile Chests/Barrels & Loader

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

AndaleTheGreat
Inserter
Inserter

Mobile Chests/Barrels & Loader

Post by AndaleTheGreat »

Just seems like a good idea to me. A loader specifically for chests/barrels that can shove them onto or off of the belts. Chests/Barrels wouldn't be directly accessible while on the belts as that would probably be a bit much.

Just a thought. If you like it agree, if you don't then ignore it and it will disappear.

Teurlinx
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Mobile Chests/Barrels & Loader

Post by Teurlinx »

Isn't this already possible? Just stick the chests in another chests with an inserter next to a belt, voila chests on belt.

Garm
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Garm »

Teurlinx wrote:Isn't this already possible? Just stick the chests in another chests with an inserter next to a belt, voila chests on belt.
He wants to put chests with items on the belt itself, not chests as items.

Hyena Grin
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Hyena Grin »

I have a feeling this would be extremely tricky to code.

I kind of like the idea of 'packaging' in any case. Moving items in bulk form would be nice. However that might be handled.

Teurlinx
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Teurlinx »

Garm wrote:
Teurlinx wrote:Isn't this already possible? Just stick the chests in another chests with an inserter next to a belt, voila chests on belt.
He wants to put chests with items on the belt itself, not chests as items.
I see. It should work with the barrels at any rate. The filled barrels are items that should be able to go on a belt like any other.

As for chests, I don't see a good reason to implement this. If chests with items can be moved, then why not place chests with items in other chests?
Being able to craft 'special chests' like the barrels which are purely packaging might be a solution, but then you'd still have far denser items than the game was designed around.

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

dupe of https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... ilit=crate
Hyena Grin wrote:I have a feeling this would be extremely tricky to code.

I kind of like the idea of 'packaging' in any case. Moving items in bulk form would be nice. However that might be handled.
Actually, the feature is already sorta in.
Only the crate is impractically big :P (see the link for details)

BTW: Factorio has trains... Don't they move items in bulk?
Inserters are able to utilize the stack-size bonus when moving items between chest and wagon, which speeds up the load/unload operation considerably.
(Then OFC a non-stack-bonus inserters need to be used to move the items from the chest to the belt, but the train is free to go in the meantime)

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”