wood, more uses , light bridges, weak walls

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Dark_star
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

wood, more uses , light bridges, weak walls

Post by Dark_star »

For use in early game be able to change wood into weak walls or small bridges for pipes/belts/biters and ?car/character? Some other uses for wood?

Skasi
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: wood, more uses , light bridges, weak walls

Post by Skasi »

I think rails could use wood. After all there's wood visible on the graphic, right?

slay_mithos
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by slay_mithos »

The problem with recipes using wood is that the base game can't automate wood production, meaning that you can't fully automate anything that requires wood.

waddyatalkinabeet
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by waddyatalkinabeet »

slay_mithos wrote:the base game can't automate wood production
It can't automate wood production yet! This is a feature they could introduce, in countries in the Americas they have massive logging operations where by the time they come round to an area they have already logged the trees have regrown. It takes them like 50/60 years to do an entire loop of their logging area and they replant after they cut, renewable as fuck. You could easily automate this. Maybe one day they'll add something similar :)

Drury
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Drury »

I'm perfectly fine with the amount of products requiring wood - I think only small poles, chests and shotguns? Everything else is made of copper, iron, coal, water and oil, that's enough I think.

Lee_newsum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lee_newsum »

There is a mod "Treefarm v0.10.0" that add a lot of wood bits to the game.

https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=44&t=522

Zequez
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Zequez »

With all the technology, it could easily have some kind of super-greenhouse that make trees grow faster and regrow so they can be farmed. Or you can attribute the fast tree grow to being alien trees. And then you could just farm them with an automatic tree logger.

muzzy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by muzzy »

If you could make forests, pollution control would be way too easy... maybe if the pollution mechanics were changed too, but that's starting to sound like a major revamp of the game mechanics already.

Greenhouses of some kind might work, but I don't really like the idea of renewable building materials in the game.

badminton
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by badminton »

slay_mithos wrote:The problem with recipes using wood is that the base game can't automate wood production, meaning that you can't fully automate anything that requires wood.
I think the idea would be to only have items that are 'disposable' early game conveniences or easily replaced with things that can be automated, like wooden palisades or an alternate recipe for rail tracks.
As long as wood isn't an absolute requirement (great disadvantage if you start in a desert + harvesting wood is boring), then it wouldn't hurt to add a few more wood recipes.

Personally I just dump all my excess wood in a box and use an arm to put it on a coal belt.
Once I'm mass-producing ammunition I shoot down all the trees instead, much faster :D

muzzy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by muzzy »

You ... destroy the trees? But they reduce pollution! I'm trying very hard to keep forests up and only harvest the minimum amount needed :)

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”