Multiples GUI and Interactions Improvements

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

y.petremann
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Multiples GUI and Interactions Improvements

Post by y.petremann »

Hello, I'l present you multiple improvements that could be great for the game :

These sugestions are based on Factorio 0.9.3

Main Menu :

Loading Screen :
When we start a new game or Load a save, we don't even know if the game is actually Loading/Generating the world or Waiting for another input, I think that it should directly show a Loading Screen

Save Game Window :
On the Load Game Window, if we double click on a save, It loads it,
On the Save Game Window, If we double Click on a save, it should overwrite it.
In all case, it should show the "The file name is empty." if no name are given (or disabling the save button)
Actually, when double clicking a save, it clears the name and show "The file name is empty."; when clicking on the Save button with an empty name, it does not show any messages

Inventory :

Mouse Gestures :
For now, it seems that Factorio only supports click based gestures with additional modifiers for inventory, a lot of them are great like the Ctrl + Left Click (especially on empty slots)
I think that it should also supports some hold gestures gestures :
  • Holding Left Click should transfer items beside the mouse to the mouse to complete the stack (if the items correspond).
  • Shift + Holding Left Click should transfer items beside the mouse corresponding to the first item we've transfered to the other inventory.
  • Ctrl + Holding Left Click should transfer all items similar to the one beside the mouse to the other inventory (should only done when entering a slot avoiding problems in transfering all the player inventory in a single click or should sort player inventory only when releasing the button).
  • Ctrl + Holding Right Click with something in hand should split the stack by all slots hovered while doing that (like in Minecraft)
Ingame :

Keybinding :
  • Holding Rotate Key + Mouse move should rotate the machine in the direction the mouse was moved.
  • Shift + Left Click with a placeable object on a placed object that can be upgraded (Belt, Inserters) should place the object like if we do a simple click, but keep rotation and settings (only if they can handle them).
Automatic save indicator :
Periodically, the game is automatically saved, and on some old computers it could make some times (for me it takes ~5s), to visually see that the game is saving and not freezing, there should be a little icon to indicate that the game is saving.
Last edited by y.petremann on Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

SilverWarior
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Multiples GUI and Interactions Improvements

Post by SilverWarior »

y.petremann wrote:Loading Screen :
When we start a new game or Load a save, we don't even know if the game is actually Loading/Generating the world or Waiting for another input, I think that it should directly show a Loading Screen
This is a nice suggestion.
Until now this wasn't implemented becouse loading a game was quite fast since all ingame graphics and such are loaded at the verry start.
But since savegames are now stored in ZIP archives it actually takes a bit more time for them to be decompressed and thus takes a bit more time when loading a savegame.
Oh and the most important thing would be to have loading screen shown when generating of new maps since this always takes a few seconds.

y.petremann
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by y.petremann »

SilverWarior wrote:
y.petremann wrote:Loading Screen :
This is a nice suggestion.
Until now this wasn't implemented becouse loading a game was quite fast since all ingame graphics and such are loaded at the verry start.
But since savegames are now stored in ZIP archives it actually takes a bit more time for them to be decompressed and thus takes a bit more time when loading a savegame.
Oh and the most important thing would be to have loading screen shown when generating of new maps since this always takes a few seconds.
On some old computers it could make more times and being very annoying to have to ask myself is the game is loading or I was too long to double-click.

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

The load game / autosave progress visualization is a must and it will happen.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

This is in the ideas list
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”