Expansion Candidate Radar

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Colossus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Expansion Candidate Radar

Post by Colossus »

A second-tier radar unit which shows Expansion Candidate chunks within a large radius.

Possibly could be unlocked along with Alien Technology, understanding the bugs better.

Turning the debug option on seems a bit cheaty to me and overpowered in that it shows them everywhere, even though it's very useful.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Expansion Candidate Radar

Post by bobingabout »

What is an Expansion Candidate chunk?
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ratchetfreak »

bobingabout wrote:What is an Expansion Candidate chunk?
A chunk where biters can create a new base

Within 5 chunks but no closer than 3 in unmodded factorio.

There is an option to show them in the F4 debug overlays

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Colossus wrote:A second-tier radar unit which shows Expansion Candidate chunks within a large radius
Why do you need this?
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Colossus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Colossus »

ssilk wrote:Why do you need this?
I feel that anything labeled as a "debug" option is meant for debug, not legitimate gameplay. I do feel that it is a useful tool that with the right settings would work well as an item. Even if later research enabled current radars to show the chunks in their revealed area I think it would be a good idea.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Hm. Many options in the debug are useful information.

There is this thread: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... map#p72285

It's for me clear, that not only the map should have layers, also the world; the ALT-view extended. :)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Colossus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Colossus »

That's interesting. Yes, more options for map and world-view would be better, but certain things in debug are a bit too powerful to give the player directly as a map layer. The expansion chunks are one that I would like to see as a layer rather than a debug option, but I don't think it should show the state of all revealed map tiles as it does now, thus the idea for a radar and radius.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

Okay, so if I understand this correctly... you want a radar, that shows where an enemy can extend their base into?

That's definitey not the first peice of information I'd be interested in...
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

Revealing AI behavior is pretty damn cheaty. Dev tools shouldn't be a thing in regular play.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

I think its a great idea!

The expansion chunks are really useful to see, but you're right that its not gameplay friendly to have it as a debug option.

Having it as a new radar system, maybe a equipment version too for mobile chunk revealing would be really nice, and balanced too. Making it a more late game tech (maybe with alien packs) can negate some of the 'overpowered' sentiment, after studying the aliens for a long time its only natural you would begin to be able to create techniques like this

Marconos
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Marconos »

Easier solution ... fix biters so that they can expand to anywhere that they can get to. Only stay away from active powered equipment. Beyond that they can expand right beside your rail line etc. So every chunk is expansion, no radar needed, just walls :)

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Oxyd »

Yes, we did talk about nerfing victory poles just today. Hopefully we'll be able to get that in 0.13.

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kane »

Oxyd wrote:Yes, we did talk about nerfing victory poles just today. Hopefully we'll be able to get that in 0.13.
Nerfing them is simple as setting base building to 0 but I guess that is annoying because then they build on tracks and such :P

Oxyd
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Oxyd »

Kane wrote:
Oxyd wrote:Yes, we did talk about nerfing victory poles just today. Hopefully we'll be able to get that in 0.13.
Nerfing them is simple as setting base building to 0 but I guess that is annoying because then they build on tracks and such :P
Yes, exactly – this is too simple. We need to do something a little bit smarter.

Smarty
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Smarty »

i never used the victory pole thing was and still am too lazy to place one :lol:

but yes it is kinda cheating placing a item and blocking the biters from building

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ratchetfreak »

Oxyd wrote:
Yes, exactly – this is too simple. We need to do something a little bit smarter.
maybe only take into account the production and military buildings

or allow expansion into the chunk but they first go to destroy the pole. That would defeat the victory poles

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kane »

ratchetfreak wrote:
Oxyd wrote:

or allow expansion into the chunk but they first go to destroy the pole. That would defeat the victory poles
This could be pretty taxing I feel though. Since Victory Poles can be anything people would just place more and more down as time went on. I assume calculation wise would be quite high scanning always for things to attack.

Colossus
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Colossus »

Whether the biter code changes and victory poling is no longer viable, or if victory poling turn into setting up "strategic" defense outposts, I still think some late game research into biter behavior and a way to counteract and predict their expansion and attacks, whether as a radar or something else would be very helpful to counteract the destructive neighbors.

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ratchetfreak »

Kane wrote:
ratchetfreak wrote:
Oxyd wrote:

This could be pretty taxing I feel though. Since Victory Poles can be anything people would just place more and more down as time went on. I assume calculation wise would be quite high scanning always for things to attack.
Not really, turn off distance to player made structure in the check but instead when telling to spawn new base they will first attack and destroy the structures in range.

For more intelligence you can have them avoid heavily fortified areas (where a lot of biters have lost their lives) or only try to attack there when the attacking force is judged strong enough.

Rahbek
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Rahbek »

If you plan to nerf it please give this some thought too:
In my current game i got so fed up by the biter mechanics that i wanted to stop playing. Only using victory poling brought the fun back.
Now maybe to explain that better i should mention that I am using (like many) the RSO mod to make trains a viable option and also natural evolution to make fighting a little more fun.
Whenever biters cross any rails in my huge rail network to build a new base on the other side they destroy at least some power lines and often enough some rails as well which resulted in me being entirely busy with fixing power and rails between my main base and my outposts so that building new outposts, expanding or actually doing the fun things in this game: tweaking my base and my factories and making it bigger became no option anymore at all.
My Railnetwork is way way too big to wall off entirely and the waves of biters are way too huge as well for a somewhat ressource-realistic wall/gun (or laser) combo to actually succeed in defending it without being overrun.

Without victory poling i cant realize the huge factory i have in mind without using the peaceful mode - and that isnt fun either.
I dont mind fighting the biters. I just like to create my own frontier and safe zones so i can focus on what is fun and not run back and forth fixing things without having time to creating anything new.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”