Update first on factorio launch BEFORE all other loading.

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Gergith
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Update first on factorio launch BEFORE all other loading.

Post by Gergith »

Idea:
Make Factorio check for updates first, before ANY other loading (sprites, plugins, et cetera).

Implementation suggestions:
Either through a super simple launcher, minecraft styles, or simply just having the upgrade check happen BEFORE all other assets load.
This also may be a moot suggestion given that this game will become a steam game. I presume that they'd be the one handling all the updating functionality at that point.

Reason for request:
I have a slower computer, all the assets take a while to load even without mods. When I run a lot of mods on top of that than boot time takes FOREVER (a realistic 30-60 seconds). I, currently, run Bobs + Yuoki + 5dims + DyTech mods all together (yes I know that's a lot. They work oddly well together!).
As a result, it will take over a minute to boot the game before it tells me to upgrade and reset the game only to wait for another minute for rebooting time, not factoring in the actual time of downloading and upgrading.

Thanks! Not crucial, but would increase the... speed/joy of things. Given that my save game files are 100+ hours each, I doubt saving 30 seconds really matters for people hooked.
Currently using: Latest Steam build
Plugins: Bob's Mods|DyTech|Yuoki Industries|5Dim's Mod|Mineable Rock|AutoTrash|Advanced Logistics System|Landfill|Long Reach|Upgrade Planner
For Testing: Test Mode

Plus my own: Coordinates mod

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Update first on factorio launch BEFORE all other loading.

Post by ssilk »

I added it to the frequently suggested stuff:
https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 80&t=16136
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Gergith
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Gergith »

Cool! thanks!

As another alternative that I just thought of:

Allow updating at EXIT (like VLC allows). So that it will download and you don't need to restart your game and can install the update at exit of game too :)

Thanks!
Currently using: Latest Steam build
Plugins: Bob's Mods|DyTech|Yuoki Industries|5Dim's Mod|Mineable Rock|AutoTrash|Advanced Logistics System|Landfill|Long Reach|Upgrade Planner
For Testing: Test Mode

Plus my own: Coordinates mod

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

you call 30-60 seconds slow? on my previous computer (which was actually pretty generously powerful) it could take several minutes to load the game, and I was only running bobsmods and a couple of extra smaller ones.
it takes even longer when I'm actually trying to load the game on my 10 year old pentium 4. then promptly stops responding for another 20 seconds. and the whole system stops responding for as long while the game tries to exit.

Anyway... I agree, it should check for updates BEFORE trying to load all the data.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

vzybilly
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by vzybilly »

my computer constantly gets 60+ second startup time, as a mod dev, this hurts abit, more so when debugging and slightly changing values, I had a whole hour pretty much waiting for the game to restart because I changed a value from 0.1 to a 0.15 to a 0.2 to a 0.17 and such...
Will code for Food. I also have 11+ mods!

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”